Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846

Whatever the DM and Express etc are saying, she still appears to have a case to answer based on the facts available. And we all know that ignorance of the law is no defence: so should she and Starmer.

The advice was taken after this issue came up, but for some reason she seems reluctant to publish it. Wonder why?

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209

I'm intrigued how Ashcroft thinks he knows another person's tax affairs better than they do themselves.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,297

If she’s found to have dodged tax she’ll get grief off me. Hardly anyone on here is a rabid Labour supporter despite the regular Leftie tag getting thrown around. Most that say they’re going to vote for them are holding their noses and going for what they feel is the least bad option. There’s only one person on here with a football supporter mentality when it comes to their political team.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,052

If she owes tax then she needs to pay up like any other working class person.

Lord Ashcroft of Belize has written an unauthorised biography on Rayner, so hoping to make some money out of her all the while.

By all accounts they have never met, which seems a bit creepy to me.

• Stevo_666

Rayner said she wasn't aware of the tax issue on her house sale until recently, so it's a pretty low bar.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

You say that hardly anyone on here is a leftie, but when I post something attacking Labour or Labour politicians, a quite a few people usually jump to their defence. Funny that, may be the 'shy lefie' is a thing? Although to be fair, I can understand why many might want to keep it quiet.

• Stevo_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Why try to claim some of the millions a posho gets out of paying when you can bully someone over £4k

• Stevo_666

If she's been dodging her taxes the amount isn't relevant, she's still been dodging her taxes. I'm sure that the advice she received would put this all to bed if she is telling the truth. Why do you think she is reluctant to do that?

As mentioned above, Ashcroft being a non-Dom is not getting out of paying anything, it's a legally allowed tax status. And whether he is 'a posho' or not isn't relevant.

• rjsterry

Would be unusual for someone's financial and tax affairs to be publicly available. The Land Registry is publicly available but on it's own that doesn't tell you much.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

It won't tell you what you need know. It's all about which property is your main residence. As I said, if she is in the clear, publish the advice and shut down the speculation. If she doesn't want to do that, you have to wonder why.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,866

I don't think it's party political to see this as more likely to have been inadvertent than Zahawi, if it is not within the rules. A few people seemed happy to accept that as accidental.

• Stevo_666

It probably is inadvertent. But ignorance f the law is no defence, as already mentioned. Why do you think She is reluctant to publish the advice?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,866

It's not a legal defence, true.

And if it turns out she's lied about her advice, she will have to go. She'll have to provide the advice obviously.

• rjsterry

Exactly. None of us know, including Ashcroft. I thought you were not keen on trial by rumour. Perhaps I am misremembering.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

You aren't misremembering. That's why I want to see that advice and why I said on the last page 'let's see'.

• Stevo_666

There is also the small matter that it is illegal to give the wrong address on the electoral roll, so the facts will be quite important here.

• rjsterry

It's quite funny how hard you want her to owe some CGT.🙂

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Not relevant to the issue.

But looking at the facts, she probably does.

• rjsterry

"Locals say..." is not a fact.

Would have thought that it's for the DM to substantiate but as they haven't beyond posing 'questions that need to be answered' they can't actually stand the story up.

It's not an unaffordable sum and if one did owe it, it would have been pretty painless to settle up with HMRC several weeks ago - maybe even with a bit of PR to differentiate from the last political tax story if you wanted to make the most of it. Notwithstanding that people are daft and dig holes when they don't need to, the fact that this hasn't happened leans towards CGT not being due for some reason. I believe there are a couple of possible explanations floating around the internet. They may be incorrect in which case she's dug a really big hole and will probably not get out of it without a few years on the back bench.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited April 1

There a quite a few useful facts in there apart from the locals calling her a 'bloody liar' for not living where she said she did 😊 It's hardly a Tory stronghold so I doubt its down to them being partisan, but let's give 'honest Ange' the benefit of the doubt for now on that one.

If it's only about a few grand of CGT, then agree she should have stumped up straight away if there was any doubt about whether she owed it.

However, if that is the only issue then I'm not sure why the police are investigating - normally it would HMRC investigating in cases like these and she'd probably get a penalty for carelessness rather than for tax fraud. As mentioned above though, putting an incorrect address on the electoral roll is potentially a criminal offence.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,539

I'm not sure I'd be that worried about losing Rayner if I was in Starmer's position to be honest.

• Stevo_666
    edited April 1

I'd probably be quite relieved if I were Starmer as I reckon she'd be a gobby liability if she gets into power. Also they seem such different people that I can't imagine they actually like each other that much.

My theory is that Starmer needs a down to earth, blunt Northern type as his second in command to appeal to their traditional voter base, a bit like Tony Blair used John 'Two Jags' Presott as his foil and put up with little indiscretions like him chinning a member of the public on camera. Its actually quite a decent comparison as Starmer now has Ange 'Two Houses' Rayner 😊

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,297

Wasn’t she only there as a bit of a sop to the left wing after the Corbyn fiasco?

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited April 1

As a side note, Rayner's position as deputy leader isn't an appointment, she's her own mandate being elected directly by the members.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,810

Yes, I think so, but the value to Starmer is in demonstrating that he can work constructively with someone with differing views, I suppose like Thatcher having Willie Whitelaw as her 'wet' Willie (sorry). My guess would be that they actually work quite well together (as with MT & WW), with their very different backgrounds, but both with a sense of purpose about things they want to achieve.

• Stevo_666

I would guess that there are enough left wing Labourites in the party membership to make her current position no surprise.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited April 2

25 years since the minimum wage was introduced by Labour.

An unmitigated success, by all accounts. Raised living standards for the poorest and didn't generate the predicted unemployment.

(The lesson, by the way, is that it was so successful in part because it was so carefully managed by the Low Pay Commission who both did a good job and managed to avoid political interference).

• rjsterry

Did you not vote for Rayner to be deputy leader then? 😛

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Probably should have done, given that she's looking like even more of a liability than ever. Although once they put the price up from £3 I let my membership lapse - in any event it was mission accomplished by then, as Comrade Corbyn was in charge of Labour 🙂