GCN shutting?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,145

Same. I've now watched on Sky Q, Firestick, website and iPhone app with no adverts.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

Highlights seem to have the adverts.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

I'm still Eurosport-app-ing. Indeed, highlights seem to have ads, presume that is from the tv version rather than the digital stream. Often have 2 options to choose from labelled the same , one will be the digital stream, with the multi language select option.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

Yes, if you choose the version without a channel number, it will be ad free. Any feed that is broadcasting on the TV on Eurosport 1 or Eurosport 2 will have ads. There's always a version without a channel number for the live events.

• Exactly. If you find yourself watching a stream with ads on D+, all you've done is chosen the wrong option

Just back out of the one you're in and choose the other one

• mike876
    mike876 Posts: 28
    edited February 28

My mistake!

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

Aye I popped out for a pint of milk and some fags

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    edited March 5

Fair play, I subscribed at the weekend and its worked perfectly. Easy to navigate, casts to a Google TV thing and no adverts. Runs OK at work where I have weak signal too. I feared the change, but am now transitioned.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited March 5

Welcome back @itboffin 🥛

I wasn't planning to re-subscribe so soon, but then Strada Bianche happened, and Tirreno, and Paris Nice, so I'm back on currently.

Despite ck, it's pretty worthwhile.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809

The Discovery Plus app is one of the slowest I've ever seen.

Whether on tablet, phone, Smart TV or Sky Q box, is crippinlingly slow

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,639
  • daniel_b

Slow in what sense.......?

I only ever use it on my laptop, or more commonly my phone which I then cast to my TV via google chromecast.

I've never had speed issues, and it performs the same whether on catchup or live.

Do you have a nice fast fibre connection and wifi speed?

Thinking about it, I do have my TV connected via ethernet, but believe this would not come into it anyway when casting from my phone.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

It takes an age to load for me. It's at its worst on the Firestick but even through the app on Sky Q it's not fast. That said I think the Eurosport app I had previously was quite slow too. Watching through the internet is fine though.

• daniel_b
    edited March 8

That's frustrating 😐️

Just timed it on my phone, and it tool about 7 seconds to arrive at the main screen, clicking Sports and Cycling takes about another 6 seconds.

I know the time it takes to cast can take a bit more, but nothing horrendous, 20 seconds at most I would say.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad

In the sense of navigating the menus. Streaming speeds are fine, but trying to click through to Sports > Cycling then whatever race I'm looking for takes forever

• Pross

It took about a minute for the Home Screen to load up on my Firestick earlier and it is then a few seconds to react every time I try to change a menu (I often end up going to the wrong one by pressing twice thinking it hasn’t registered the first one).

• daniel_b
    edited March 8

Sounds like the firestick and tv apps are not the best.

I'd heartily recommend investing in a google chromecast, as long as your TV has a spare HDMI and USB port, it should be able to source power from the TV - it's revolutionised how we watch anything streaming, Discovery, iplayer, All4, ITVX, youtube - you get the idea.

Everything goes through the phone, and it's really easy to pause, rewind etc etc

I think if I had to wait ages for stuff to load, I'd soon lose patience with it and stop using it, pretty sure the chromecast it only something like £30?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad

The tablet and phone option mentioned above is using a ChromeCast. It's the fastest of the apps, but still slow to load each page.

Also, it's annoying that you don't get the timeline jump feature when casting

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

I would go Sports -> Schedule -> Then find what I want by time. It can be annoying some of them are off to the side, but I think it is quicker than your way.

• daniel_b

I still am able to move up and down the timeline, either in the app, or less easily via google home.

I'll try and take a screenshot next time I'm casting.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Smart TV apps are slow in general, mostly because TVs are made with the minimum possible processors, memory etc

I find the D+ app ok on a fire stick, after navigating to sport you then need to go right to the cycling menu quick enough that none of the other sport categories load as you're navigating across

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited April 4

Stage 4 vod of Itzulia Basque is missing for me on Discovery+ which is rather irritating, since you can't wait andlessly in order to not be spoiled by life and the internet.

Is it just me or is it missing for everyone?

Edit: Ok, I guess it was removed on purpose (for everyone?) due to circumstances (don't want to spoil for others who may want to watch at some point).

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

It's missing for everyone. The stage was neutralised due to a major crash.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Ah. I'm behind, just watched s3 (via Eurosport app) but wondered why it was placed on menu so far along if it was latest...

• Aha, makes sense now. Bad crash!

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

It looks like discovery, in affect, paid £70m for rights to show cycling, which I guess were probably all but free.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,639

I don’t think so, since Warner/Disco have held the rights for years, Playsport never did.

• daniel_b
    edited June 14

Sounds like the minority stake means they want to continue working with the presenting/commentary team, so probably little, if anything, will change for the end consumer watching via Discovery.

GCN might change perhaps, but probably not.

*I wish this thread wasn't called 'GCN Shutting' when it was always just the app.

I started a thread before this called something like GCN App closing, but that thread has been ignored, and this one took over 😭

Not that I am bitter or anything 🤫

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

road.cc were saying that the gcn website is closing with immediate effect, and just looking now the fact that no new articles have been published for a day or two would support this

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

Exactly this. GCN/GCN+ never owned the broadcasting. They just had access to it.