GCN shutting?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Eurosport et al comes as standard with the subbie as well as all the other channels - sky Atlantic etc

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I get Eurosport included in my TV package, but still pay to have it on the phone and laptop because there are more races, ad free and on catch up.

Just checked my account, and it's now saying next payment is £6.99 on 3rd June, so looks like they've updated it to being monthly instead of annual. Previously said next payment was £39.99.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967
    edited January 30

Add on Netflix and pretty much, yup.

Anything that has ES included is the version with ads, and less catch-up IIRC so worth the £6.99/month to me.

£39.99 annually was much more appealing dang it! May well only be a 6 month worth of subscriptions.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Just looked at my account, same change from annual to 6.99 per month from end June. Oh well... after all moneyball does need to get funded.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

No I watching the cycling on YouTube. We watch lots of other channels through their apps.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

That's a fair shout, will look at the dates the races are on :-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

I got discovery+ for the year. Hope it is as good as GCN+ was at the very least.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • daniel_b

I didn't think there was an option of a yearly sub?

Thought it was £6.99 a month or nothing.

Or have you gone for a more pricey package that includes more than sport?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.

There is an annual option for 49,99€ in Germany.

• daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.

Sorry. It seems all types of sports broadcasting are more expensive in the UK. The price to watch the Premier League is higher or used to be much higher than the corresponding cost to watch the Bundesliga. I remember seeing a stat years ago from an investment bank doing research regarding the streaming sports entertainment business model stating the average UK footbal fan spends five times as much on his club, that a German fan does. I read that as - is forced to spend.

• daniel_b

Don't be sorry, very pleased for you living where you are, with a proper passport and all!

No great surprise everything is more expensive here in blighty is it really.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I feel for the fans not in Europe (though North America seems sorted) but Eurosport seem to be doing a good job of covering all races they did previously. Once my annual pass expires in April I think I will do Discovery Plus happily. Ill see if Belgium has an annual option when I am there for the Ronde.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

Dont bother with Discovery plus, what a horrible app and full of ads

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

I've been using it to watch the cyclocross since GCN+ shut and not seen a single ad

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

This isn't my experience. It's almost the same as the Eurosport one when you go to the right tab.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

Had D+ since GCN closed and not seen any adverts

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Sometimes when there is double streams one of the Eurosport streams will have ads

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b

Long time no see ITB :-)

Like others on here whilst I had the sub I had no ads during the programs on playback, suspect as mentioned there are different streams, I recall that was the case on ES player.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Indeed. On the app / Firestick version I use, I always check for the language version option icon, if it's there no ads on that stream. Plus can mute Wittermouth to ambient sound.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

I'm still struggling to understand why so many people are having issues with adverts and lack of content on Discovery +. I use it through the website, Sky Q app and Firestick without any adverts, it's hard to know if there is more or less cycling shown but I assume any differences are down to whether the rights were bought or not (I watched more cycling than ever last year on D+ I think). I don't like the interface on the app and find it slow to load but other than that I really haven't spotted any issues and it comes free with our Sky Q package so is actually saving me money.

• Just had an email from Eurosport saying they are cancelling all annual passes for their expiry date and unless we cancel the subscription our end, we will be charged £6-99 a month.

I am on my way home from Spain, but will be cancelling when I get home.

Daylight robbery again.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967

I had the same. Quite happy to cancel between the Vuelta and April next year.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    edited February 22

Wrong thread.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

I think you answered your question around the 2nd series.

• Watching d+ through my sky box is ad free but on a fire stick I have ads.

And usually the same ones.... time after time after time

I now boycott Cadburys Dairy Milk and Arla/Cravendale.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

I watch D+ on a fire stick with no ads 🤷‍♂️

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

I bit the bullet and have bought Discovery, running it through the inter web on a smart tv and there’s no adverts.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

I tried to sign up to D+ on Saturday morning, got refused due to a network error meaning 'no passes available'. Cheers. I was a bit busy this weekend, so will try again during the week now the season is rolling.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner