GCN shutting?

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Best way around the 16x max seek speed is to find your place on the mobile app first then go to the TV app and it will remember your place

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 892

You are lucky I didn’t get any commentary when I was watching today.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

I'd argue who was the lucky one.

Jez Cox is my Carlton Kirby....

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

The biggest issue I have with Discovery + is that pretty much every sport I try to watch other than cycling or winter sports requires a TNT subscription and there’s no way I’m paying for that.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

There's a language selection icon thing, top right, comes up blue, can't quite recall how found it, click right? Poke around, you'll get it.

• orraloon
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

My first watch automatically had English commentary. The language option can be seen underneath the Eurosport logo on the screen.

Not sure how to access on demand content that’s not recent, as the search tool doesn’t filter results at all. Said search results appear random and irrelevant.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon

Ah cool. Put the D+ app on the iPad, on that version can just slide the timer marker to wherever. Then, as you say, log in on the TV version. 👍 Learning the new world order...

• Webboo2

Just found that I can’t access discovery while on holiday in France.

• orraloon

put a VPN on, seek out a free for n days / weeks offer and set your location to yUK.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863
    edited July 29

Last time I went to Mauritius (When my parents lived there) I took a laptop, installed one of the VPN trials, forget which one, and used all of my Dad's allowance for the month watching the TDF 🤣

To be fair, he didn't realise he has a limit.

Anyway, I digress.

At the end of August I am going away to Germany where there won't be Wifi.

I might take the laptop, or I might take a newly acquired 10" tablet, plus my phone. I'm now on O2, so we get 25gb of data, and free roaming.

My plan is to create a wireless hotspot for either/both the tablet / laptop to connect to, and then try and login to Discovery that way.

I'm presuming I would need the VPN on the tablet and or laptop, rather than the phone?

Here's a slightly random question - the tablet is a cheapy no make Amazon job, about £70, but has pretty good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0D5CQWPCH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have installed a fair few apps, but there is loads of space, and I've popped a 256gb sd card in there.

I used the Discovery app on it yesterday, and it wasn't able to stream the live feed smoothly, it kept stuttering, or sometimes completely stopping whilst the audio continued, basically unusable.

I then closed it, and launched the chrome browser instead, initially it told me I HAD to use the app, but then I was able to request the desktop site and it let me through - this appeared to work perfectly, smooth image, no stuttering, no loss of quality at all.

Does that make sense?

I'm totally new to tablets, and I appreciate this is not a high spec one, but I was surprised that the App gave vastly inferior performance as opposed to going through the browser.

Spec: Octa-Core Processor, 8GB+64GB 1TB Expand, 6000mAh Battery, 2.4G+5G Wi-Fi 6

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Webboo2

You do realise it’s me your advising, you know the one who can’t get his iPad to go from picture to landscape.😂

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Can't speak to Daniel's specific problem with the app, but the one for Samsung TVs is awful to navigate. Takes ages to change sport, or to find the one you want. And dies that awful thing of prioritising broadcast Eurosport so that you have the version with adverts by default.

• daniel_b

Thanks LR - I have only ever used the App on my phone before, both the previous Eurosport one, and it's current incarnation, Discovery +.

I have a chromecast connected to the back of the TV, and the actual app, playing direct on my phone, or casting to the TV is 99% faultless - well apart from the fact you can't cast a live event from anywhere else than the live point, but that's always been an issue.

I was disappointed that the cheap tablet was so stuttery through the app, but delighted it worked fine through the chrome browser - just thought that was a bit odd, but maybe it's to do with how the processing is handled differently between the app and a browser interface.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 515

I couldn't get the Discovery+ app to find our old Chromecast so I borrowed my daughter's which is newer and is working fine. Unfortunately she is asking for it back so I have had to order one - half price from Argos, but a 3 day wait for collection.

• daniel_b

Not seeing it at Argos anymore, maybe a local store special offer?

I would have nabbed one as a back up spare for half price, we rely on it pretty heavily, and I think ours must be around 7 years old.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666

Half price (£30) for the 4k version direct from Google with free P&P. You'd probably get it faster as well

• daniel_b

This thing here the only option now?

The one I have is black, and has no remote (Or if it does I have never used it) - I purely use it to cast to from other devices.

I don't subscribe to anything like Disney, Netflix, sky etc etc, my only real sub is Discovery for sport, and I cast that from my phone, so not sure if the 'Google TV' part would be of any use to me, but presumably you can still cast to it like you can with the current one?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666

The one I saw: https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB pick the 4k option.

No clue what they're like, I use a firestick instead.

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 515

My daughter's Chromestick is working really well. The (fairly minor) issues are those already mentioned in the thread, the restriction to 16x fast forward and reverse, and casting from the app to a live event always goes to showing it live despite the app giving the choice of starting from the beginning.

We get staff discount at Argos too, my wife works at Sainsburys 😊

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808

Hatch presenting The Cycling Podcast during the Vuelta, which would suggest he's not going to be commentating for Eurosport

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,441

Are they doing what they've done in previous years and having a rotating cast of co-presenters with Frieibe on the ground doing the anchor role?

• blazing_saddles

Which is surprising, given he lives in Mallorca and so far this season, has done pretty much all the Spanish races.

Having said all of that, I just remembered why I find the Vuelta so much the less enjoyable than the big two: In recent years, Carlton Kirby has had exclusive commentary.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Week 1: Friebe and Fran Reyes

Week 2: Friebe and Richard Abraham (dialling in from the UK)

Week 3: Friebe and Rob Hatch

• blazing_saddles

I went for the Tour of Limousin today, because it's pretty (the Dordogne valley) and because it has Mr Witter, Jez Cox and Brian Smith.

I had a quick look at Leuven, but that appeared to have only ambient sound.

Now watching my last pick: The Tour of Denmark. Nothing to do with the race, just that the school mistress is lecturing, once again - this time, solo.

Discovery plus winning the barrel scraping gold medal.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

It's tough for Jose having to cope solo and she knows her stuff but it does grate a bit. It feels like they've lost some of their minor race commentary team.