GCN shutting?

167891012»

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638

I like her, but she does seem to think we all want to know the non-cycling stuff she wants to share rather than commentate on the race.

It’s surely a tougher job solo, but that’s the gig.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863

I was late to the party with the Vuelta, have heard hatch on one stage, but kirby on pretty much all of the others, not sure what the deal is.

They are definitely missing Lloyd.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

Hatch covered whilst Kirby had some minor surgery. Judging by today's performance it was an upgrade to his talking shite chip, after being not to bad at the Tour he was unbearable today.

• daniel_b

Ye olde Spanish olive oil tale was trotted out on an earlier stage, it's a regular visitor, so I knew most of it by heart.

It's the best olive oil in the world / lots of other countries sell it as their own / don't tell anyone etc etc

Is it me, or have there been less toot's on bidon's so far though, I don't recall hearing one yet.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gethinceri

tootlets on the bidonlet?

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

He also thinks that Cotes du Rhone is the best wine on the planet. So, as with all things Kirby: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Imo the best olive oil is the one your budget will allow.

Anyhow, it’s been too hot for toots, more your chugging weather.

Battle plan is his current favourite. Obviously Rick would say battle plans don’t exist, just pedal as fast as you can.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

He's started using 'pitons' as an alternative to peaklets so maybe teh software reboot came with a different dictionary function. I'd say it was AI but the I bit is lacking.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

Is Daniel Friebe, he of The Cycling Podcast, manoeuvring to take the wittering leader's mantle from Wittermouth? I'm finding the episodes when it's Friebe leading the verbals increasingly annoying to listen to, as per current La Vuelta ones.

On another subject, back to GCN / Eurosport / Discovery+ and £s charges: I heard a Football Ramble podcaster state that his Sky TV package is costing him £120 per month. Per Month! 😳 Maybe puts my 'shock' increase from £39.99 per annum, and twice renewed on offer at £19.99 per annum for Eurosport to £7 per month for Discovery+ or whatever it becomes next year after the £3.49 per month transition deal ends.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,169

Have to say Nathan van Hooydonck and Matt Stephens are missed; Blythe & Rowe are a downgrade....Nowhere near as incisive, and clued up as the former pair.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross

Stephens should be first name on the team sheet (in the absence of Lloyd) but I guess he has a lot of other contracts too as he always seems to be at races even when not commentating.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453

Just because it came up, the best olive oil I've ever had is Son Mesquidassa from Mallorca. I can wholeheartedly recommend picking it up for anyone having the chance.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,530

The best I've had is the single origin organic olive oil my mate imports from his folk's place in Greece, then gives me a 5 litre canister of. Tastes like fresh mown grass smells. He only imports and distributes direct after harvest and production and puts a use-by date of 1 year (instead of 5) to make sure you use it fresh. If anyone is massively into olive oil you could possibly order some here, as you won't find it in any shops https://www.kosdros.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533

Greece, Spain, Italy. It's all good.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Well no, some of it is crap, though that's not really related to where it comes from. There's a huge amount of fraud in the olive oil market as well, with all sorts of rubbish being passed off as higher quality than it is

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731

I've heard somewhere that some countries even sell Spanish olive oil as if it was their own.

• Pross

I’m finding The Breakaway a bit rubbish since Lloyd has left. It just feels like forced banter these days rather than when it used to be some reasonable analysis/ preview stuff with a bit of banter coming ming through naturally. Orla and Adam are like the disruptive kids at the back of the class talking and laughing all the time at their private jokes. They’re both better than that, particularly Orla who I rate highly as a sport presenter.

• gethinceri
    edited August 30

Yep, Orla is better than that, she’s playing up to the kiddie Blythe, who is somehow trying to drag Dani Rowe down to the same level.

Dani Rowe was becoming good on The Breakaway, then Blythe appeared.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,453

Thanks man. I'll ask the gf if she wants to give it a try and order some when we've run out after moving to Munich.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Oh, easier to order from EU, that's for sure. Good luck with the move!

• daniel_b

Sad to see Manon has left, thought she was one of the good presenters, and they are now all men again 😐️

Have to be honest, not watched that many GCN videos in recent months - did they have a 'leaving do' show at all?

Wonder what she will be doing next, maybe her own youtube channel.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

Was clearing out my desk drawers recently and found some paperwork from when I used to run the club 10. I'd forgotten that Manon had ridden them a few times. She would have been a youth rider at the time and wasn't very local so not sure why she rode them, maybe up in the area for training at the velodrome or friends with one of the local kids.

• gethinceri

I enjoy the weekly Dan & Si show.

Most of the rest of it is garbage or too LCD for me.

Tech show was great with JC, I haven't watched it in the last couple of years, not keen on the "knowledge" shared, although I rate Ollie Bridgewood.

GCN+ was great and I enjoyed their videos.