Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658

I bought a Cooper S with the 6 speed manual a few years ago, was a hoot to drive. Kind of wish I’d kept it. The Audi TT I bought as a fun car goes hard too with the AWD but somewhat less practical. The Mini was quite usable for carting stuff about. The TT… not so much.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

In a quandry now, the Beemer passed its MOT with two minor advisories. It's far nicer to drive than my Qashqai but the Qashqai has been very reliable although it is going in to have an intermittent grating noise investigated and the windscreen washers fixed next week (it also has a nicer interior). The Mini will be our main car but we unfortunately still need a second car that will get used for when we take the dog or larger loads or when we both need a car at the same time which happens once or twice a week usually. The Qashqai is newer (2013 v 2007) but has nearly 200k miles on it which is around 15-20k higher than the BMW. Both are autos.

Really don't know which one to keep and which to sell now and guarantee whichever I keep will breakdown on me shortly after! I worry about the reliability of the BMW, it has broken down twice in the 12 months we had it - the first time was an oil leak that damaged the drive belt, the second turned out to just be the battery despite the first mechanic that got sent out saying it wasn't - whereas my Qashqai has only ever broken down due to flat batteries in the 7 years I've owned it and required minimal maintenance over and above the usual servicing / brakes etc.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Sell the one you’ll get more money for.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Not sure if you're asking for opinions here, but given the age/mileage of both, if it were me I would sell both and buy something a bit newer/with lower mileage then you can choose what the hell you want (budgets permitting).

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

As Stevo says, sell both and replace with one newer,

• Pross

Just done that with the Mini, that's a 2016 with 40000 miles. The second car is just a bit of a workhorse to be honest and even selling both I'd really only be buying another banger, at least with the two I have I know what I've got.

• Pross

Doubt there's much in it to be honest, neither is likely to get much more than a grand.

Just picked the BMW up and the two advisories were both tyre related (rears legal but approaching the limit and some damage to one of the fronts).

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

Keep the one that is cheaper to run/insure.

2007 is getting on a bit, though my Skoda is 2004 but I've maintained it immaculately and I know what might need attention next.

Which will you miss most if you sell one?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

They will both start to go wrong but one will be more expensive to fix.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

Get another BMW, a newer one. Clean 5 series are available with <70k for iro £10k.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

No point in getting anything nice. You can only drive at 20 mph in Wales.

• pinno

There are some very nice and relatively empty roads in N Wales, (except July/August/September).

• Pross

Just spent £8k on a new car. We don’t need a big one on a daily basis so not worth spending that again. I’m currently going with my head and will keep the Qashqai (newer, cheaper to maintain) unless the stuff I’m having looked at next week turns out to be serious.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited March 1

There is a quasar star six hundred trillion times as bright as the sun!!!!

In other words given the relativity I'd buy a Porsche 911 992 turbo. I'm sure the vast majority would agree given the brightness context.

• Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723

That's a good point Stevo. Relative to a quasar star which is SIX HUNDRED TRILLION times brighter than the sun, I would indeed partake in a GT3! Every time my teeth chattered due to the track suspension setup, I would just think of the quasar star which is SIX HUNDRED TRILLION times brighter than the sun, to bring my worn teeth situation into context.

• focuszing723
  • focuszing723

By the way, that quasar star is 600,000,000,000,000 times brighter than the sun!

• Stevo_666
  • photonic69

I'm now firmly in favour of much more car transport. More motorways with more lanes. Get rid of space-wasting cycle lanes on the side of roads that nobody uses. More cars. Faster cars. More diesels.

Why you may ask? Cos' I've been looking at going anywhere by train with a family of 4 and it is 600,000,000,000,000 times more expensive than going by car!!!

• focuszing723

Exactly, six hundred trillion times can't be underestimated.

• pinno

Tracks are quite smooth. Well, the tarmac tracks for racing are smooth, so you don't have to worry about your teeth. You need a Wange wover with a twailer so that you can get the GT3 to the twack.

[As an aside, you do not want a GT3. There's no where to drive the bloody thing except on a twack. Although tbf, you can get very close to the bumper of the car in front of you very very quickly. I found with my 911, I ran out of tarmac pretty quickly and that was only 355bhp. You are guaranteed that should you find an empty road, 3 things happen; you meet 1) an old duffer driving erratically in his Mondeo doing 35 in the middle of the road operating the clutch pedal with his crutch and stopping periodically to check his incontinence pad 2) tractors, caravans, mobile homes, horsey riders, sheep and herds of frikkin cyclists - especially those 8mph retired accountants and dentists geriatric groups or 3) it's clear and it goes by so quick you can't really remember much of it and you're left thinking the locals must love me making all that racket and how much tread have I got left before I need to fork out for yet another set of Michelin Pilot Sports 2 at ££silly money each... or do I go back to the Goodyear Potenza...].

• photonic69

Sounds like you know my mate with a 996 4S Cab. He has exactly the same tyre dilemma. He does find quite a few quiet roads around Wiltshire but now they are all so fecked he finds he has to slam on the anchors to gingerly drive around a crater that somehow has been exchanged by the Moon as a result of hoomins chucking more tin garbage on its surface in the name of 'progress'

• pinno

Back roads are awful. Main roads have cops and traffic.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

See also the ride of Gravel Bikes (and to some extent, the preference for Adventure Motorbikes....)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666

Track days are the way to go if you want to drive it like you stole it.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658

Pedant Alert: “Potenza” is a Bridgestone brand name, not Goodyear.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

I have long fancied a gravel bike. Unfortunately, the really good scenic trails are 30 odd miles away and I can't see the sense in driving a 60+ mile round trip to pedal. It's like gymmers driving 2 miles to the gym and running on a treadmill.

• pinno

You are correct. They were better than the Michelins (I would get crucified for saying that on other forums).