GCN shutting?

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Disco runs jerky on older android gcn didn't .

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

In Germany (at least) there are two payment plans. The cheaper one has ads. The more expensive one might have ads during live streams (so basically all races??).

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

I get two versions of all races. One is the live stream the other has the E1 or E2 version. May be worth checking your not actually playing those, which may be why you're seeing ads

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Possibly this. On ES you have to make sure you are watching the Premium channel to be ad-free.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I think the one is actually marked as ad free from memory. I usually watch from the app on Sky Q which only seems to do ad free, the commentary regularly says “our viewers on Eurosport are off for a brief advert break” and the coverage continues for me.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

For the cyclocross races they seem to have fixed the "double episode" problem on D+

• JimD666
    edited January 7

On the upcoming it looks like you may be right. On the catchup side I'm still seeing and E2 and "other" version.

Just rewatching yesterdays men's race on the E2 stream to see if it has ads on the catch up stream.

EDIT: The E2 version does have ads, even on catch up. So if you're seeing ads then pick the other stream. TBF the E2 logo is fairly subtle

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

One of the most irritating things about ES streams is the lack of any reliable metadata/description of what they're actually showing. Sometimes it just says "Cycling". On days where there are multiple stage races going on it can be a nightmare to find out what's what

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    edited January 7

Thanks all for the help with free Vs paid streams

I'm checking out the 6.99 month sub on disco got ads on the es feed

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666

If you're still seeing ads the best I can suggest is:

Sign out.

Clear all data and cache for the Discovery+ app. If your not sure how quick google for "Clear data and cache from android XX apps"

Uninstall. Reboot. Reinstall

Sign back in and try again.

If you're still seeing ads after that, you're stuck having to contact Discovery's helpdesk/tech support

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

If you scroll across do you see any other options for the same race? There's usually several feeds and, from memory, the ones branded as Eurosport have the adverts. There should be an ad free option though.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Sky Sports charges you a lot more and still gives you ads... I agree that it is total rubbish but hardly uncommon, sadly.

Prime Video is adding ads as well, I see we are almost complete in recreating cable TV over the internet...

• pblakeney

I suspect Amazon may regret that. I'll be cancelling my subscription at least. £100 for free delivery doesn't seem worthwhile when most places offer free delivery anyway. Amazon Prime programs and TV are mostly garbage, add on ads and ...

Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Me too.

Reacher aside, I haven't added a single film or show to my watchlist in ages. It's all been utter shiite.

They screwed up Prime music a year or so ago, to extent that I never ever use it any more.

Which leaves, as you say, free delivery. Hardly free in this context.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

I placed 56 orders with Amazon in 2023, with an Amazon Prime account, didn't pay delivery on any of them.

Even at only £3 per delivery saving it's worth it for me (us, actually, I've no idea how many orders my wife has placed 😁)

• Anyone recently had their annual Eurosport pass renew? Mine is still showing as renewing for £39.99 for the year in April.

• mididoctors

Using the disco + standard .The extended highlights labeled E2 are plastered with ad breaks .live coverage of TDU was uninterrupted

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

I've paused my sub for a few months.

Enjoyed watching the CX, which was all good, either live or on catchup.

Worked perfectly on either laptop, or casting from android mobile to chromecast.

TDU started well, bit disappointed there was no highlight shows at all, so had to navigate the full coverage.

Also watched the recent track racing at Apeldoorn (spelling?) over 5 days I think it was.

The first two days pretty quickly had extended highlights which was perfect, think they were maybe an hour, or 90 minutes each, and compressed most of the action into that time slot.

However from day 3 onwards there was no highlights of any kind, so you had to navigate the full program, which was 4 hours plus per day.

A sign that it's going to be a bit hit and miss again, as it used to be in the ES days with what was made available.

Definitely spoilt with the GCN+ sub :-(

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

I’m not sure who’s broadcasting these videos but there is live cycling on YouTube. I have seen 2 of the Mallorca races this week one on catch up and one live. There’s no commentary but some prefer that, you do occasionally get adverts but you can usually skip them. I have also watched all the cyclocross races these season again on YouTube. At the moment these are free unless I’m paying for YouTube via something else.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

So how happy is everyone with Discovery+? There isn't an alternative, so it's a moot point, but I haven't subscribed yet and am wondering if I should just bite the bullet or accept, that cycling coverage is garbage again. I really loved GCN+.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666

The cycling coverage of live races is the same. The only real difference seems to be a lack of highlights.

Besides where else can you watch "A team of paranormal experts assist celebrities with Spirit issues"

The only real issue I have is the Android app is slow as molasses for navigating. That may be more of an issue as my Tablet is old but GCN was fine.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Do none of you have cable or satellite tv?

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

No we have a smart tv that we use through the internet.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Race coverage (of CX, which is all I've watched so far) has been basically the same, although the last few races they seem to have ended coverage earlier, before we've seen interviews with all the top 3.

On the plus side for races that are on live there is a "watch from start" option that GCN didn't have, so you no longer need to rewind to the start with your eyes closed.

On the minus side the TV App on a Fire Stick is very slow and you can easily get it into a muddle if you click through the menus at the wrong speed

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

I subbed for a month to watch the CX races, plus the TDU, but have now paused it.

It's OK - though not as good as it was when it was GCN, as they don't seem to dedicate the same resource as they used to. eg the Track cycling highlights being published for the first 2 days, and then not appearing for the last 3 - inconsistent.

I could have sworn I recall being able to get the option to watch an in progress program from the start on either app, but the issue still remains that that works fine on a phone/tablet/laptop, but as soon as you try and cast it to a TV / chromecast, it can only show live content.

I'm planning to re-subscribe in early May for the Giro, take a month off, re-subscribe end of June for the tour and then the Olympics, and the worlds will be in September so probably 3 months from then will allow me to see what I'm interested in.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Depending on your subbies it could be substantially cheaper, and better UI, to just get a sky puck or equivalent.

• pblakeney

Sky puck goes through the internet so you are simply choosing who to subscribe to, and/or through.

Veronese68 wrote: