GCN shutting?

Comments

• r0bh said:

I don't think you should rely on using a VPN to access foreign broadcasters; BBC block VPN access to iPlayer, for example, and there's every chance that Rai, Sporza etc might start doing this too

Doesn’t always work. The VPNs work better at that than they did 7 or 8 years ago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    It shouldn’t be that hard to watch the sport you love.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    gweeds said:

It's absurd given how much people have been paying... 500k+ users ... 20 million quid a year
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    (Seriously... watch the South Park episode episode on the streaming wars. It's amazing GCN has lasted this long on its own...)

((To give a hint of how crazy it's got, first of all you'll have to make sure you have the streaming service that carries that episode of South Park as opposed to the one that has the...others))
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Can I get it from a hookie torrent site using a VPN to mask my location?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Oh for sure! T & M would release it for free if they could...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds said:

It's absurd given how much people have been paying... 500k+ users ... 20 million quid a year
    Where do you get 500k users from?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    On a long turbo session yesterday evening watched KOM Hunters: Ventoux, and Tulsa tough, about the US criterium racing.

Both beautifully shot, and I felt this Ventoux program was way better (less gimmicky) than the previous one they did.

This kind of content will be sorely missed, along with the adventure style, trips across various countries etc, which I found really inspiring and interesting.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • On the subject of vpns, I had Surfshark recommended to me, last week.
    A quick look at "the best" vpn reviews and Surfshark comes out as number 1 on most.

The Independent has a link via their article. Imo their mid priced on is the option to go for. It's £64 for 28 months, so £2-29 per month.

https://www.independent.co.uk/advisor/vpn/best-cheap-vpn
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

On the subject of vpns, I had Surfshark recommended to me, last week.
    A quick look at "the best" vpn reviews and Surfshark comes out as number 1 on most.

The Independent has a link via their article. Imo their mid priced on is the option to go for. It's £64 for 28 months, so £2-29 per month.

https://www.independent.co.uk/advisor/vpn/best-cheap-vpn

I flip between SurfShark and Nord each time the next renew comes up. Whichever is cheapest at the time. They are both similar enough to not be an issue as to which too pick
  • mididoctors
    me-109 said:

Can I get it from a hookie torrent site using a VPN to mask my location?

Opera browser has a VPN built in .. haven't tried . Suspect the bandwidth is going to be the issue plus I don't think you can choose your VPN spoof country
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited November 2023

gweeds said:

Down loads on play store ....that's just android . Not all will have gcn+ but who has that app for anything else?

If they had bumped the price to £50 a year by my reckoning they would be 9 million a year in profit if they were losing 1 million ...but they would rather as some one said above paraphrasing " data mine the fffk out of us all and then make us pay £80 a year for a slightly inferior cycle coverage package and access to stunning documentaries about alien 👽 pyramids ...hitlers hairdressers and ground breaking shows like hand grenade half hour".
  • mididoctors
    There's no market stability for consumer use. Constant Product manipulation for increasing the bottom line is LITERALLY stress inducing for consumers " it's actually a form of abusive violence.

No one wants to talk about how consumer choice is a dystopian fabrication.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638

gweeds said:

Down loads on play store ....that's just android . Not all will have gcn+ but who has that app for anything else?

Plenty will have downloaded but not subscribed, or subscribed then unsubscribed.
    Your guesswork is guesswork.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533

There's no market stability for consumer use. Constant Product manipulation for increasing the bottom line is LITERALLY stress inducing for consumers " it's actually a form of abusive violence.

No one wants to talk about how consumer choice is a dystopian fabrication.

6 million flavours of crisps in Sainsburys, but the bus only goes every two hours. We've been done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I know I watch more cycling than average, but £7 is going to be the price of a pint next year (round here anyway). If it was a loss making service at the lower price, an increase can't be a surprise.

Watching the muscat race last year with local commentary convinced me that you do occasionally need it in a language you understand.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    £40 a year was an absolute bargain for the live content alone.

£6.99 a month is still pretty reasonable for just all the live racing. Heck of a lot better than what Sky charge for football, Grand Prix and other sports.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770
    I guess you can get it down to just 6 months if you want to … March to October and July can be paused for the TDF on ITV4.
    Shame to not be able to watch stuff like CX on a whim but thems the breaks.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • JimD666
    Still on the fence. If MotoGP was included at the £7 mark I'd of grabbed it months ago.

Still while £7 quid is a big increase (relatively speaking), it's not breaking the bank either.

Sigh. Decisions, decisions.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Does anyone know if Discovery+ will be showing all the races GCN+ used to show as VOD's?
    If possible I'd like to get everything including all the small races in the preseason as well as the CX & MTB races etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    m.r.m. said:

Does anyone know if Discovery+ will be showing all the races GCN+ used to show as VOD's?
    If possible I'd like to get everything including all the small races in the preseason as well as the CX & MTB races etc.

Unless things have changed from last year. Yes

SWMBO had an offer for discovery+ that meant we we're running both from late '21 through to late '22. There was no difference in coverage of the live stuff with it all available OnDemand at race completion.
  • Currently Discovery+ (sans TNT) comes "free" with Sky so that's my preferred option

I was fine with Eurosport via Sky in the period after I cancelled GCN+ and before D+ was an option so I will likely do the same again

If D+ (and therefore ES/GCN) is merged with TNT (and an inevitable increase in price) then that would probably price me out and I would rely on dodgy streams and the like

P.s. how many acronyms do you need for a cycling broadcaster?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited November 2023
    I have TNT Sports (with casting) on my phone contract so I had been considering cancelling GCN anyway, but I have not really had chance to see how the app works etc., and I was pretty happy with GCN+ and had already paid the annual sub. SO fairly timely really as I would have had to renew soon!

TNT Sports allows me to watch lots of obscure cricket as well which is always a plus :smiley:
  • Currently a GCN (annual) subscriber but to be honest only watch road racing for 6 months each year. As there are no annual plans will probably go with D+ TNT for 6 months which will cost £42 - not much different to GCN. Hopefully there will be some offers around in the new year.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited November 2023
    I don't really understand the connections between BT/TNT, Eurosport, Discovery and GCN

I'm just kinda hoping that the cycling content continues on Eurosport which is part of my basic Sky subscription

I've no idea what Cyclo-cross content is going to be on or when. Dublin seems absent today. Which is odd.

I had an offer for Discovery plus which seemed to be the same as ES

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    Erm, watching Dublin WC just now. Eurosport sub.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    orraloon said:

That ain't what's listed for ES broadcasting on Sky
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

orraloon said:

That ain't what's listed for ES broadcasting on Sky
    ES sub is different to ES packages, as in you get more for your sub.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    Think of it as like having a red button for Eurosport.
  • I'm finding that I can't cast the GCN app to my Chromestick any longer, is it just me or has it been turned off already?