GCN shutting?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    It’s just you, I’m casting CX now
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Not that long ago, I was already paying for Eurosport. It was alright. I was a bit perplexed as to what the point of GCN+ was when it came along, but I liked it. It was nice. Despite the occasional berk presenter, it was my new source of info into pro cycling/racing: especially as Cyclingnews can now do one.
    I love cycling. I’ve got some pounds: can someone explain, simply, what I need to do to guarantee I can watch pro cycling whenever it’s on, please? Ta.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    It would seem subscribe to Discovery+
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited December 2023
    As Daniel_b said but to add a little more info. It's the 6.99 per month option you're after. No need for the 30quid one unless you also want the other sports
  • and if you're a BT broadband user Disco+ is included in the package.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    Flasher2 said:

and if you're a BT broadband user Disco+ is included in the TV optional package.

FTFY.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Not correct, I have BT Broadband only, not ever had a TV package, no extras, nothing but basic broadband and get Discovery+ included.

Maybe it's changed for new customers, I've checked my BT account and my Discovery+ account and it says my subscription is active via BT.

https://www.bt.com/sport/discovery-plus#video1
  • pblakeney
    Flasher2 said:

Not correct, I have BT Broadband only, not ever had a TV package, no extras, nothing but basic broadband and get Discovery+ included.

Maybe it's changed for new customers, I've checked my BT account and my Discovery+ account and it says my subscription is active via BT.

I'd keep quiet if I were you. I've been an EE and BT broadband customer for years (without a TV sub) and there is no access. From your link...

Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Flasher2 said:

Not correct, I have BT Broadband only, not ever had a TV package, no extras, nothing but basic broadband and get Discovery+ included.

The disco app works for you ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Discovery+ have given me a 3 month free introduction, so i will give it a try. After that it does roll into £6.99 a month so that will be make my mind up time.

Has anyone found an annual subscription option?

• daniel_b

How did you come by that then?

No such option been available for me sadly :-(

I did get my refund through yesterday though, wonder if anyone can beat this by getting lower:

£0.02

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    edited December 2023

Discovery+ have given me a 3 month free introduction, so i will give it a try. After that it does roll into £6.99 a month so that will be make my mind up time.

Has anyone found an annual subscription option?

I wrote some nonsense. The annual option doesn't seem to include Eurosport which was presumably your question.

• JimD666

Just a quick one for any Sky subscribers who may not be aware:

"discovery+ Standard is now available at no extra cost for Sky Q, Sky Glass and Sky Stream customers."

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/discovery-plus?DCMP=tva-skycom:ec_discovery_plus

• If you've got a Sky Q box, it's pretty simple to log in with your email address via the app. It works on Smart TV apps too, so you don't necessarily have to watch via Sky

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624

Not overly impressed with my first go using Discovery + freezing on multiple occasions.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • JimD666

Yeah it bloody awful. The GCN app ran flawlessly on Android pad, iPad and Fire stick. So far the disco+ app hangs on all 3. It's been better through the sky puck thingy but by no means perfect

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    edited December 2023

Well I’m so confused by the whole bloody thing I’m not sure I’m going to bother.

What I need is a link to a site where I can pay somebody £7 a month to watch all the cycling 😥😥😥

I’m too stupid to follow any of the other guidance.

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

It froze for me on my LG TV but so far has been better on an Amazon Fire Stick

• Hmm, I'm ok with £6.99pm for 6 months but for simplicity sake would rather an annual plan costing less than 12*£6.99. Such a thing does not seem to exist, hopefully you can prove me wrong.

• JimD666

I emailed and asked about an annual option for the £6.99 tier: "We have no plans at this time" was the not unexpected answer.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    https://twitter.com/nordvpn/status/1734195160588648934?s=46&t=Q7O5dnx-0MXQv9qE3vz1vg
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624

Doesn’t seem to be a continue watching section on discovery plus unless I’m missing something? And not easy to navigate to the latest races. Any tips with discovery?

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b

I'll be honest, I've been accessing most of mine through the app, to do that I click on sports at the bottom, then cycling top right.

If you then scroll down you get Upcoming for races yet to happen, and below that Latest which appears to be completed races, starting with the most recent, and getting older as you scroll to the right - not sure how far they go back.

Looking on the website, things are similar, Sports is at the top, then Cycling appears not far below it:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

Yeah, I watch through apps on either Sky Q or Fire TV and do the same. I also get a summary of live and upcoming sport just below the ‘highlight’ programme on the main screen, not sure if that is a learned thing based on my viewing habits though. My biggest issue is that it doesn’t always differentiate between sport that is on the bits covered by my subscription and those on TNT etc. that are extras. Cycling always seems to be covered but I’ve tried to watch a few other sports only to find they aren’t available.

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Worth noting that the Discovery investment in GCN was written down by £66m in the last set of accounts to December 2022. That is a lot of money they threw at it, albeit a good chunk of that would have gone to the former owners of GCN.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

That must've been their investment in Eurosport. No way they paid more than that for a web based cycling broadcaster.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Nope https://cyclingindustry.news/discovery-inc-takes-full-ownership-of-play-sports-group/

Play Sports Group is just GCN (and all their other streaming bits). I got the write off detail off the Discover Europe accounts to Dec 2022.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Disco + you still get adverts and paying ....wtf

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm