GCN shutting?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    orraloon said:

My Eurosport is showing as £39 renewal in March 2024, but whether that stays is anyone's guess.

For what I watch on there ad-free it's a crazy deal, and £7 a month would still be a steal for the seven months from Oman to Vuelta.

Just checked on my Eurosport account and annual renewal at £39.99 showing for end June 24. Whether will still be so in 7 months or so time...? And any chance of the Black Friday 1/2 price offer incoming? Didn't show last year. Did get a couple of years at 19.99 p.a., no bad.

99% of time streamed via FireStick app.
    Ah, the good old days. Anyone remember the £2.99/annum, or was it £1.99?
    Those were never going to last.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    edited November 2023

How about just watching it on TV?

Not an option for me, no subs to sky/BT or whoever, and no plans to change that.

I do sometimes, but the app is great. No need to record, start anywhere, no ads etc.
    This in a nutshell - can also watch on the laptop should you want to, at a convenient time/place.

If I have limited time, say I'd have an hour available, and a fairly standard stage had happened, would skip to ~45km out.
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

My Eurosport is showing as £39 renewal in March 2024, but whether that stays is anyone's guess.

For what I watch on there ad-free it's a crazy deal, and £7 a month would still be a steal for the seven months from Oman to Vuelta.

Just checked on my Eurosport account and annual renewal at £39.99 showing for end June 24. Whether will still be so in 7 months or so time...? And any chance of the Black Friday 1/2 price offer incoming? Didn't show last year. Did get a couple of years at 19.99 p.a., no bad.

99% of time streamed via FireStick app.
    Ah, the good old days. Anyone remember the £2.99/annum, or was it £1.99?
    Those were never going to last.
    Indeed, yes £19.99 was pretty standard, managed that for a few years by signing up with different e-mail addresses, and I did bag the £1.99 once, which happened on a black friday, probably 4 or 5 years ago now, never to be seen again.

I'm hopeful the Eurosport sub will be available, but if not, it will be discovery for 7 months I reckon, so a 20% increase in that event.
    If Eurosport on it's own went up to £50 or even £60 for the year, I would go that route though in preference.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • How about just watching it on TV?

I've got it on TV as part of a bundle, but the app being ad free is a big difference. If you aren't already paying for TV, it's not free to air anyway, even with the ads.

• webboo said:

For some reason my bank declined to pay my renewal to the Eurosport app at £39. When I contacted Eurosport the only option was Discovery at £6:99 a month. I thought about going with GCN however I didn’t bother as Mrs W said she was going to change our internet provider and the one she was going to use had Discovery included.
    However life got in the way and she didn’t change it and I just watch races on YouTube.

Could it be that you were paying by credit card and it had expired?
    I have just updated my CC details on my account, as I have had a new one issued this year.
    I don't want to drop the £39 ball.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

For some reason my bank declined to pay my renewal to the Eurosport app at £39. When I contacted Eurosport the only option was Discovery at £6:99 a month. I thought about going with GCN however I didn’t bother as Mrs W said she was going to change our internet provider and the one she was going to use had Discovery included.
    However life got in the way and she didn’t change it and I just watch races on YouTube.

I have just updated my CC details on my account, as I have had a new one issued this year.

I don’t think it was that but it was a case once it’s gone it’s gone. I even tried the loyal customer for x years but no it was b@gger off to Discovery.
  • daniel_b
    webboo said:

webboo said:

I don’t think it was that but it was a case once it’s gone it’s gone. I even tried the loyal customer for x years but no it was b@gger off to Discovery.
    That's annoying :-(
    Sounds like an ES Sub for new customers is looking more and more remote.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • If anyone on here's feeling put out by this, try listening to the Caley & Cosmo show. Pi$$ed doesn't cover it. Can't knock their passion but I think their maths is a bit off.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    daniel_b said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

That's annoying :-(
    Sounds like an ES Sub for new customers is looking more and more remote.
    As far as I’m aware you can no longer sign up for the Eurosport app.
  • If anyone on here's feeling put out by this, try listening to the Caley & Cosmo show. Pi$$ed doesn't cover it. Can't knock their passion but I think their maths is a bit off.

Caley Fretz? His and his colleagues social media stuff has been off. In fairness they were fucker over last year, and also non Europeans are more affected by yesterday’s news.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    Is that Cosmo Catalano? Liked hearing his views on Velonews (?) podcasts, no longer running.
  • orraloon said:

Is that Cosmo Catalano? Liked hearing his views on Velonews (?) podcasts, no longer running.

Yes, Cosmo, Caley, Ronan and a few others who got emptied got together to create the Escape Collective.

Their output's quite good and if I had an infinite amount of time I'd listen to them more.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    edited November 2023

I've got it on TV as part of a bundle, but the app being ad free is a big difference. If you aren't already paying for TV, it's not free to air anyway, even with the ads.

TBH getting Eurosport even with the adverts, plus all the other stuff you get with a proper TV provider is better value than just getting the direct subbie to eurosport etc.

I've not tried for English speaking but you should be able to get some US or Aus coverage with a few cheeky aps downloaded and a VPN; I think they both do free-to-air coverage of the bigger bike races. Or any other English speaking country.

I guess i am a) so old school this is just a return to how it always was to watch cycling and b) I only watch RCS races on Eurosport nowadays as Sporza cover the rest and I have the bilingual luxury. Luckily Hatch tends to do those races.
  • pblakeney
    For those of us that are only English speakers a subscription costs less than a VPN.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

For those of us that are only English speakers a subscription costs less than a VPN.

really not.

Buying NordVPN full price is a bit like turning up to pizza express without a 50% off voucher - you're a mug if you pay full price.

I paid less that £50 for a 3 year subbie and tbh it's more useful than just watching cycling.
  • I posted my thoughts on this on "X". With hindsight this seems ineveitable.

Once Discovery/Warner bought GCN and then didn't increase subs it was a data harvest and a subscription buying exercise.

Give them access cheap and then when there are enough of them hooked close it down, consolidate costs into one app and one platform but increase the cost to get those losses back.

Simple. Effective.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

really not.

Buying NordVPN full price is a bit like turning up to pizza express without a 50% off voucher - you're a mug if you pay full price.

I paid less that £50 for a 3 year subbie and tbh it's more useful than just watching cycling.
    I'm going to suggest that was a rare really special deal, like we used to get with ES.
    Link if I'm wrong please.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

really not.

I'm going to suggest that was a rare really special deal, like we used to get with ES.
    Link if I'm wrong please.
    Currently a 68% deal off today.

https://nordvpn.com/country/britain/?vpn=brand&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAu9yqBhBmEiwAHTx5p-AZhPJKDyqpAXcVg1jRdpEezxeIQtTaklaWs9f2wXFo-hmZx9TsFRoCDmEQAvD_BwE

So that's what, £3.29 a month for 2 years currently for "plus". For standard you can knock a quid off that.

And that's not waiting for the big f*ck off deals.
  • pblakeney
    "2-year plan (£3.29/mo) + 3 EXTRA months
    £88.932-year plan (£3.29/mo) + 3 EXTRA months
    £88.93"

As I said, dearer than ES and you have to put up with adverts and foreign language.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

£88.93"

As I said, dearer than ES and you have to put up with adverts and foreign language.

https://auth.discoveryplus.com/gb/product?flow=purchase

It isn't though, is it?

And, for the record most state broadcasters don't show ads during the sports. Rai, NOS and Sporza don't.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2023

I posted my thoughts on this on "X". With hindsight this seems ineveitable.

Once Discovery/Warner bought GCN and then didn't increase subs it was a data harvest and a subscription buying exercise.

Give them access cheap and then when there are enough of them hooked close it down, consolidate costs into one app and one platform but increase the cost to get those losses back.

Simple. Effective.

But will it be though?

I suspect they will lose a percentage of current subscribers altogether, some will take up the full offer for 12 months, whilst others (I reckon a fair percentage) will just take out a sub for 6 months of the year, which is less than a 5% increase in revenue for them - on those customers.

Also before GCN+/Racepass there were ways and means to watch race content online, and there still will be those avenues should people choose to go down them.

It's a shame they never told us how many people subscribed to the app, I'd love to know.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,597
    pblakeney said:

£88.93"

That's for 2 years. Where are you getting ES for cheaper than £44.50 a year?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

£88.93"

That's for 2 years. Where are you getting ES for cheaper than £44.50 a year?
    Yeah. I mean, a) we're quoting Nord VPN Plus prices, not Nord VPN standard.

Nord VPN standard is £2.39 a month, and the cheapest I can see a disco subbie is £7 a month, so I have no idea where PB got the idea ES is cheaper?
  • pblakeney
    Different people, different circumstance, different preferences, different solutions.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,597
    pblakeney said:

Different people, different circumstance, different preferences, different solutions.

Right so a "solution" in that you already have it. Cheers.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514
    I'm clearly the loser here. I have Virgin, Discovery and a VPN.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    I don't think you should rely on using a VPN to access foreign broadcasters; BBC block VPN access to iPlayer, for example, and there's every chance that Rai, Sporza etc might start doing this too
  • rick_chasey
    r0bh said:

I don't think you should rely on using a VPN to access foreign broadcasters; BBC block VPN access to iPlayer, for example, and there's every chance that Rai, Sporza etc might start doing this too

Yeah there are ways around that though.
  • pblakeney said:

I have the same (mine runs out on the 18/07/24). However Eurosport probably wont exist by the end of 2024. The TNT/Euro merger into one entity is already in progress so will these passes roll over at the end of their current periods? I don't think they will - but we'll see...
  • pblakeney
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Right so a "solution" in that you already have it. Cheers.
    Yes, but one that is likely to change.
    At that point I will look for other solutions. They are unlikely to include a VPN.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I posted my thoughts on this on "X". With hindsight this seems ineveitable.

Simple. Effective.

Discovery owned GCN before GCN +. They owned a majority of the shares over a year before the GCB subs kicked in