Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

The last time mine went I was changing a tyre in the comfort of an armchair in my living room. Twang. Though, to be fair, a few weeks earlier I'd been carry too many logs up some steps. At least that persuaded me to find another way to carry the logs, though not to do regular stretches.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671

Yeah, backs are tricky things when you start to have issues with them. I feel like mine is in a constant delicate balance and the slightest thing will trigger a spasm.

My worst bad back was changing a tyre on the car. Nope, not lifting the spare out of the boot, or jacking it up, or anything expected. It was removing the wheel trim to get to the bolts. It was a tight fit and was pulling it hard. It suddenly came loose and my body fought hard to retain my balance. Carried on as I felt fine. Next day I couldn't walk. At all. Had to go on Diazepam from the docs for the pain. Not good.

Previous time was wheeling my bike through the garden gate after a ride. Something I've done thousands of times. Slight twist and a low step to get bike over and it was almost as bad as the above.

I feel for you right now. Will be doing back stretches this lunchtime too!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926

Vaping, vapers, vapes.

Just the utter stupidity of it, especially the disposable sort that people seem to chuck on the ground. It almost annoys as much as dogs not wearing nappies outside. Two I've taken apart contain rechargeable lithium ion batteries, what an utter waste of resources. A good percentage of these are going to end up in land fill.

Crazy.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

I've just watched a video on wireless hydraulic brakes for bicycles. The children presenting expound the benefits of getting around tricky integrated cable routing.

I think there are other solutions to bike-related problems, such as oiling squeaky brakes or filling tubeless tyres with foam and sealant to get around some of the problems of not having a tube.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

This is the perfect thread for this one:

I get mildly annoyed at best actor type awards because I am of the view the biggest factor by far in being chosen for an award or a nomination is the quality of the writing, distantly followed by the quality of the production, editing and direction (in that order) and finally marginally affected by the actual acting the actor does.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

My former employer is always posting on LinkedIn about their new appointments including a few in what was my old team just before Christmas whilst at the same time making several people in the same team but different offices redundant (it was always a single team across all the offices when I was there). I suspect several new appointments at senior level are marking their territory by bringing in their own people at the expense of those who were already there. No doubt the new Director of HR or whatever they've called him has made sure it complies with the law but it still stinks. Pretty insensitive as well to be congratulating new starters when you are getting rid of others just before Christmas, any respect I had left for them is now well and truly gone.

Very glad I saw the way things were going and jumped now, it's the second place I've worked where it was a really good, small new start company on joining that started to turn to shit when it got to around 30 staff. The strange thing is the MD worked with me at the first one and at the start was always saying how keen he was not to make the same mistakes as they did.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Hate places like that. They end up with a reputation for it which bites them in the long run.

I worked for one and went back for reasons that suited me at the time. I was quite happy to leave them in the lurch once that reason was gone. Last I heard they were struggling to recruit and nobody who had worked there would return.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

I don't know if it's coincidence but in both the places I mentioned they seemed to get to around 30 staff fairly naturally with people who all seemed to work well together and with the intention of doing things right. At that point they start taking on more backroom staff and bringing in people for their 'work winning' and 'managerial' skills and it is then things start going downhill as making money becomes the priority. The management seem to lose sight of the fact it was making money previously due to doing things properly and those types of people are usually very ego driven and nowhere near as good as they claim.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited January 12

People trying to go running down very busy roads and then getting annoyed that their progress is being impeded. I see them often in the morning trying to squeeze through crowds of rush hour commuters and even trying to get through Borough Market (which is hard enough to walk through) in the middle of the day

On the weekend I took the kids to the London Eye and there were a few guys trying to run down the South Bank at lunch time through crowds of tourists and getting obviously irritated and them. Why not try a route that isn't also a major tourist attraction?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

I read the opening of that post and immediately thought of the South Bank, some people are stupid.

• Pross

I quickly learned not to try to run around the floating harbour / Cumberland Basin on my lunch breaks unless the weather was shit.

• rick_chasey
    edited January 12

What is trivially annoying on the other side is when you make quite a bit of effort to avoid crowds and end up in one anyway.

I manage to sneak out at just after 2pm for a mid-week swim at the gym as I can't abide all these idiots who can't swim without swinging their arms out to the side and twatting me on the head. Normally it's me on my own or some old duffer doing breakstroke without getting his bald head wet. Ideal.

January 2024 has other ideas however.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Yeah I've been trying to find the quiet slot for swimming - no luck so far. Today someone just stood up in the middle of a length.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 12

8am on Sunday is the winner. The hoards all come at 8:55. Does clash with the Sunday clubrun rather (though it's a long time since I've done one of those :( )

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

Spike Island, then over to the foot of Jacob's Wells Road, then up the steps that start under that block of flats.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney

Give it 2-3 weeks for the resolutions to falter. January is always a busy month/nightmare.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

I heard on the radio today is the most likely day for people to give up on their resolutions. Not a problem for you or I PB

• Pross

I stuck to doing Coronation Road and Cumberland Road and Hotwrlls Road in the end. I no longer work over there though. Always used to get GPS issues around there too.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Coronation and Cumberland are pretty bleak. But yes the northern side of Spike Island is a lot busier.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited January 12

I should add this was back in '99/'00 when I lived on York Road. Almost 25 years ago 😮‍💨

White Hart Steps was fun though.

Leigh Woods is nice, too. And the riverside path following the former railway line on the south side of the Avon.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Riverside path was OK but I could only make it to the suspension bridge and back on a lunch break. Leigh Woods was too far. I avoided anything involving going up into Clifton as I had some sense but did walk those steps a few times.

• briantrumpet

Narrowly failing to run over 'Sir' Tim Martin at the end of my road on the return from my ride.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

Popular ≠ Good.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Brian is as a single issue person.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

We may not like them, but there clearly enough out there who do.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Looks to me like most Spoons pubs are in buildings that used to be used for something else, like old banks or cinmeas/theatres etc. So really he's creating them. Whether or not you like them is another question.

• briantrumpet