The Peter Sagan Thread (may contain spoilers)

12346»

Comments

• This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

Yeah, but that was his big comeback win after ages with nothing, and it was followed but a lot more nothing
    Yeah, but the Universe started from nothing.
    Not sure it's won Flanders, Paris-Roubaix or the World Champs though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

Yeah, but that was his big comeback win after ages with nothing, and it was followed but a lot more nothing
    Yeah, but the Universe started from nothing.
    Not sure it's won Flanders, Paris-Roubaix or the World Champs though
    He wouldn't have won them without the Universe either. Sort of compared to the Universe his achievements weren't really that comparable.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114

This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

He won another Giro stage in 2021, plus three more stages in WT races (Catalunya, Romandie and Suisse (of course)).
  • andyp said:

This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

He won another Giro stage in 2021, plus three more stages in WT races (Catalunya, Romandie and Suisse (of course)).
    That's certainly more than I remembered
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    edited September 2023
    phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

Not to me. Think most people are only stuck on that matter because his drop off is hard to comprehend and sad for all of us. He was an utterly incredible racer, who suddenly pretty much fell off a cliff.

Did he drop or the newcomers improve? I'm sure GvA said he had suddenly stopped being competitive.

Are there many from his generation who are still challenging?
    I definitely see your point. However, in his case I still can't get over the fact that he wasn't even able to be in the finale of races with WVA and MvdP despite being a podium staple for so many years.
    You may be right that that is exactly the point, but it also seems to me that he lost motivation and just based on pure optics got considerably heavier in recent years and that probably had a bigger impact than his multiple covid infections.
    He also got divorced in that same time period, so it's actually a lot for anyone to handle. Shame really. He was truly great, especially when you ignore the wheelies and could have been even greater if he had figured out race tactics sooner than he did.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,870
    It's probably both..lost motivation then get whalloped by covid is unlikely to inspire you to turn a corner
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    Cavendish is also a good example of how form dips with viruses and depression.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,870

Cavendish is also a good example of how form dips with viruses and depression.

Extraordinary drive cav has making a come back from ep barr. A lot of riders give up .

I fear morkov maybe a year too late though.

Hope it works
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm