The Peter Sagan Thread (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ha never seen him fall before. Crit money rolling in already.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    'No races on program'

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    He sounded like he’d had enough at the Tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    MTB will be really happy to have him back
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • One more dance

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The fizzling out of his career has been a real shame - whether it was health reasons or just motivation it would have been great to see him take on the WVA, MVDP, Remco, Pog etc for a few yeats.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,873
    Was he really anti-vax?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

One more dance

I'm sure he's carrying on next year - albeit off-road......as part of Specialized Factory Racing.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Shame he took such a beating from covid (IIRC) and robbed us of a full-on battle of the old guard vs the new guard like WvA.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    edited September 2023

Was he really anti-vax?

Was he really anti-vax?

There are interviews online after his court case in which he states he isn't and he's been vaccinated. I think it was more drunk reaction than any great stand.

I guess most people accept he's a bit of an a r s e, right?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

Was he really anti-vax?

Was he really anti-vax?

Just after the worlds I was lucky enough to have a couple of dates with someone involved with Slovak cycling... she was very much not a fan of his behaviour.

Peter Sagan and my admiration for him c0ck blocked me. 🫣😭
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited September 2023
    Don't need a vaccine if you catch it as often as he seemed to...makes me think he's part-bat.

I hope he can come back and smash the XCO for a year (even if I don't want him to)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    edited September 2023
    alan_a said:

Was he really anti-vax?

Was he really anti-vax?

Just after the worlds I was lucky enough to have a couple of dates with someone involved with Slovak cycling... she was very much not a fan of his behaviour.

Peter Sagan and my admiration for him c0ck blocked me. 🫣😭
    I met a girl from Slovakia at a wedding last year as well and she also called him an "anti-vaxxer". I have no idea if it's true or not. The mainstream often gets such things wrong as they (we) are wont to only read headlines and not the entire article on whatever issue.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Would it matter if he didn't want the vaccine?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Not to me. Think most people are only stuck on that matter because his drop off is hard to comprehend and sad for all of us. He was an utterly incredible racer, who suddenly pretty much fell off a cliff.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    m.r.m. said:

Not to me. Think most people are only stuck on that matter because his drop off is hard to comprehend and sad for all of us. He was an utterly incredible racer, who suddenly pretty much fell off a cliff.

Did he drop or the newcomers improve? I'm sure GvA said he had suddenly stopped being competitive.

Are there many from his generation who are still challenging?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

Did he drop or the newcomers improve? I'm sure GvA said he had suddenly stopped being competitive.

He's the same age as Roglic.
  • phreak

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

As has been discussed in another thread though, Roglic came onto the scene in the same wave as MvdP, WvA et al. He wasn't racing when Sagan was at his peak.
  • TheBigBean
    phreak said:

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

As has been discussed in another thread though, Roglic came onto the scene in the same wave as MvdP, WvA et al. He wasn't racing when Sagan was at his peak.
    So you want riders that have sustained a 10+ year peak? Slim pickings then - Cavendish and Valverde are two recent retirees that have managed that.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    Alaphilippe has followed a similar but condensed path, around 3 years of being one of the best in the world in his mid 20s and a fairly significant drop off from that level after that peak.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

So you want riders that have sustained a 10+ year peak? Slim pickings then - Cavendish and Valverde are two recent retirees that have managed that.

Cavendish has retired?

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • phreak

phreak said:

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

We're not talking about a peak though, we're talking about being at the sharp end to being nowhere near within a year or two. Thomas De Gendt notably said he was doing his best numbers and getting dropped like a stone. Things do appear to have gotten significantly quicker, but not for Sagan's generation of riders.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Sagans results through 2019 were nothing special (relatively speaking) so I’m not convinced Covid was his downfall. I think he just got outridden and ultimately wasn’t as bothered. He pretty much stated he was bored with road racing by then.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I don't follow pro racing that much, but wasn't Sagan a "marked man" after his success from his first handful of pro years?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • TheBigBean
    This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited September 2023
    Sagan is having a crack at MTB in the 2024 Paris Olympics. I expect along with Pidcock.
  • “I always said I would like to finish my career on the mountain bike, because I started my career on the mountain bike,” Sagan said in a press conference, according to Cyclingnews.com. “It gives me some pleasure at the end of my career because I’m doing something I really enjoy.

“It’s important for me to spend time with my son Marlon and to see life from different angles, and not just as a cyclist. It was never my dream to race or to be a professional rider until 40 or 50. I think it’s time now. And if I am going to be able to finish my career in Paris at the Olympics Games, that’s going to be something nice for me.”
    https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/peter-sagan-retire-mountain-bike
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,873

Was he really anti-vax?

Was he really anti-vax?

There are interviews online after his court case in which he states he isn't and he's been vaccinated. I think it was more drunk reaction than any great stand.

Thanks it seemed absurd .... he got hammered by covid anyway .. shame
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

Yeah, but that was his big comeback win after ages with nothing, and it was followed but a lot more nothing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • This was 2020 Giro. Not that long ago.

Yeah, but that was his big comeback win after ages with nothing, and it was followed but a lot more nothing
    Yeah, but the Universe started from nothing.