The Peter Sagan Thread (may contain spoilers)

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Let's have a Peter Sagan thread to celebrate this young talent.

Make a change from the misery of the last 6 months

Tour of Oman 1st Stages 2 & 3
Gran Premio Città di Camaiore 1st
2nd Strade Bianche
1st Stage 3 Tirreno–Adriatico

Tour of Oman
1st Points Classification
1st Stage 2

Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 4

Three Days of De Panne
1st Stage 1

Tour of California1st Jersey green.svg Points Classification
1st Stages 1, 2, 3, 4 & 8

Tour de Suisse
1st Points Classification
1st Stages 1 (ITT), 3, 4 & 6

Tour de France
1st Points classification
1st Stages 1, 3 and 6
Most Aggressive Rider Award Stage 14

1st Slovakia National Road Race Champion

2nd Gent–Wevelgem
3rd Amstel Gold Race
4th Milan – San Remo
5th Tour of Flanders
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bloody hell that's a season and a half in 2012......
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Wheelies for the fans for no reason other than he can. Legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onamrs8jx2I
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • How about 2010 and 2011? Paris Nice as a neo pro was absolutely unreal.

Have some seriously good photos of this fella. Lets start with the most recent:

Sagan_Oman_13_zpsfbae2956.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    (may contain winning)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    afx237vi wrote:
    (Will contain winning)

FTFY.

He is immense. Anyone know which classics he is targeting? M-SR I assume? I think he can probably win them all in his career
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    He really looks like Zlatan.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Blimey I've never seen a no handed wheelie before and I've been mountain biking since 1993 that's some impressive shizzle.

He's quite handy at going fast too
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Macaloon
    No hands. One wheel. Angliru. 8)

120gv45.png
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,235
    prawny wrote:
    Blimey I've never seen a no handed wheelie before and I've been mountain biking since 1993 that's some impressive shizzle.

We were about 10 metres away when he did that (camera's pointing right at us) on the Planche - picture the scene: beer in hand, in the sun, just having watched Froome take the stage (with Wiggins going into yellow), Sky bossing the climb from bottom to top*; VDB, Bottle, SSanchez, Menchov all getting a right good shafting... then Sagan does that. Can watching a race ever get better?
    The roar of appreciation from the crowd on the barriers who saw it meant that everyone who wasn't in line-of-sight got a chance to see it on the big screen (slight delay, I guess)...
    It was almost like a "That's all folks!" moment.

*and people say it was boring: not when it's your team it's not. Plus, there were loads of excited "ooh-la-la's/encroyable!" from the French fans as one by one contenders got shelled...
  • Macaloon
    ^Absolutely top roadside Karma and what an anecdote, cheers. I'm breathless to hear about the bit where he signs your chest. The ecstatic crowd reaction really adds to this vid.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,115
    How about 2010 and 2011? Paris Nice as a neo pro was absolutely unreal.

His debut at Paris-Nice was astonishing, a win from a reduced bunch sprint and then a couple of days later he just rode off the front on a hilly run in and held off the rest of the peleton.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the spring classics this year. That first monument victory is hard to achieve but I think he'd be disappointed if he doesn't win at least one this spring.

If you've not seen it, there's an excellent interview with him in Procycling this month.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    rubertoe wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    (Will contain winning)

FTFY.

He is immense. Anyone know which classics he is targeting? M-SR I assume? I think he can probably win them all in his career
    Flanders for one
  • bettiniphoto_0115675_1_full_600.jpg

He's a total winner.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Remember he was at the TdU, horrible crash, a billion stitches and as I remember still went on the attack with Cuddles on the Willunga hill stage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's the new Boasson-Hagen.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Macaloon wrote:
    Wheelies for the fans for no reason other than he can. Legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onamrs8jx2I

too cool for school.
  • Macaloon
    LLS with the WTF (one of two in this tour) as Sagan takes him at top of a Cat 1.

35c508l.png

He went down the other side quite fast too: 15:10 in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1dxx2jlFLg
  • Macaloon
    [OT: Forgot about the strategic jamming of M. Rolland's race radio, resulting in some unconventional sportsmanship on ^ stage :oops: ]
  • He's the new Boasson-Hagen.

he is the rider Boasson-Hagen always promised to be unfortunately for Eddy I think they are very similar riders but can't see him ever beating Sagan to a big win
  • It's his palmares and precocious talent at his age which makes me wonder whether little Pete will live up to the expectation that has been heaped upon him. He has an Olympic Gold Medal but bear in mind that he and Sagan are contemporaries whose palmares would you sooner have?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Macaloon wrote:
    ^Absolutely top roadside Karma and what an anecdote, cheers. I'm breathless to hear about the bit where he signs your chest. The ecstatic crowd reaction really adds to this vid.

:lol:

And top annecdote OCDuPalais.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Isn't this the bit where someone (I forget who) posts that he hasn't won a 1 day race ever (or for many a year?)!

I'm a big fan. Personality and enthusiasm in bucket loads and seemingly the talent to back it up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    As a youngling, doing a proper sport! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRHijKgIfkk
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    prawny wrote:

We were about 10 metres away when he did that (camera's pointing right at us) on the Planche - picture the scene: beer in hand, in the sun, just having watched Froome take the stage (with Wiggins going into yellow), Sky bossing the climb from bottom to top*; VDB, Bottle, SSanchez, Menchov all getting a right good shafting... then Sagan does that. Can watching a race ever get better?
    The roar of appreciation from the crowd on the barriers who saw it meant that everyone who wasn't in line-of-sight got a chance to see it on the big screen (slight delay, I guess)...
    It was almost like a "That's all folks!" moment.

*and people say it was boring: not when it's your team it's not. Plus, there were loads of excited "ooh-la-la's/encroyable!" from the French fans as one by one contenders got shelled...

Nice post, OCDP. It were bloody great.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    He's the new Boasson-Hagen.
    A bit better i think.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    LLS with the WTF (one of two in this tour) as Sagan takes him at top of a Cat 1.

35c508l.png

He went down the other side quite fast too: 15:10 in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1dxx2jlFLg

Awesome stage. The same one where there is a photo of LLS attacking whilst Sagan is at the back of the four breakaway riders eating something. LLS went and they couldn't catch him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Fat Pat when interviewed on Eurosport at last years Tour was saying that riders in the peloton were telling him that "They'll be telling their grandchildren that the rode with Peter Sagan, he's that talented". I think he's caused the biggest stir since a young Kaiser rocked up to the peloton in the mid-nineties.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • 0c2735005dc911e2a56722000a1f9d88_7.jpg
    tumblr_metgyvxJcQ1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mf8n5jrcPf1ritvqho1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m79ka7ezQ81qb4e05o1_400.jpg
    tumblr_mhsu7j5axh1r0x6lyo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7bb4vyghg1r0jk08o1_400.gif
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWakT8eu7I

Don't forget the bell incident
    tumblr_m6rv1aNr501rp705fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mhi0rxqmOJ1r8tbnwo1_500.png
    tumblr_mhe94vcPaa1r4o0yso1_500.jpg

And one for the ladies:
    tumblr_mdbtqkev2n1rhm347o1_r2_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I remember the bell incident. They made him take it off before the stage started.

This year's TdF - He turns up on a wet stage with full mudguards, a poncho, and a saddlebag containing a flask of tea and a round of sandwiches.
  • Macaloon
    Very fine GIF of an intrepid eyewitness having their chest signed, FF.
    Washed it off yet OCDuPalais?