Monday; be like Johnnie too-good, don't you know he never shirks

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,434
    hopkinb said:

Some top end bellowing going on. I put up one of those Ring security cameras in the back garden yesterday. Can you guess who was caught on camera at 1 a.m. having climbed out of his window? Not that the camera was required yesterday, what with the snow leaving ample evidence.

Where the flip is he going at 1am?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Ben6899 said:

hopkinb said:

Some top end bellowing going on. I put up one of those Ring security cameras in the back garden yesterday. Can you guess who was caught on camera at 1 a.m. having climbed out of his window? Not that the camera was required yesterday, what with the snow leaving ample evidence.

I've obviously missed a few posts, but are you having trouble with the lad?
    Yep. Failing his GCSEs. Not doing any work towards them. Caught with weed. We also accessed all his social media and email yesterday night, and he's been sneaking out from here and his dad's house, and ubering round sw london to meet his gf - not even bright enough to delete the receipts. Not bright enough to realise that all the doors are closed to him if he doesn't get a bare minimum of 5 GCSEs. They are "numbers on a piece of paper" apparently, and we shouldn't judge him. I tipped him off his chair earlier - he'd nodded off at 9.30 in front of his lesson.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    hopkinb said:

Wish I could offer some advice here as a resident secondary school teacher! Best lesson I ever learned was that when I frame things as choices that they've made that are less than positive, there are always consequences. I've tried to reduce the amount of shouting I do following that. Mostly manage but there's times where a good shout does me good. However, having recently found out that shouting at a teenage boy triggers exactly the same pain response in the brain as hitting them, I've decided that riding my bike needs to be my outlet more.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,701
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Where the flip is he going at 1am?
    Prob got a call from some CourierBloke in a Tesla.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    hopkinb said:

Ben6899 said:

hopkinb said:

I've obviously missed a few posts, but are you having trouble with the lad?
    Yep. Failing his GCSEs...

Wow. Sorry to read this lot, Hop'. I have no advice as I don't have kids, but I like John's idea of presenting the consequences of choices. Saying that, it seems you've tried to explain why five GCSEs are important to have... :/
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    johngti said:

hopkinb said:

Wish I could offer some advice here as a resident secondary school teacher! Best lesson I ever learned was that when I frame things as choices that they've made that are less than positive, there are always consequences. I've tried to reduce the amount of shouting I do following that. Mostly manage but there's times where a good shout does me good. However, having recently found out that shouting at a teenage boy triggers exactly the same pain response in the brain as hitting them, I've decided that riding my bike needs to be my outlet more.
    I hear you john. I'm not a shouter, but my wife is. He's reached the end of everyone's tether, both parents, both step parents. Playing like he's some kind of wronged hero fighting the fight against the man, instead of a spoiled middle class tit in the middle of a full blown soup of adolescent hormones.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    hopkinb said:

johngti said:

hopkinb said:

I hear you john. I'm not a shouter, but my wife is. He's reached the end of everyone's tether, both parents, both step parents. Playing like he's some kind of wronged hero fighting the fight against the man, instead of a spoiled middle class censored in the middle of a full blown soup of adolescent hormones.
    Feel that! My youngest daughter went through something similar. She lived with her mum and so I'd get phonecalls from them both, but mostly my ex. She was a properly screwed up kid for a while; still is to some extent even now that she's 23. A distance developed between us that her mum encouraged. So basically, keep the faith.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,600
    hopkinb said:

Got a spare dog crate for him to sleep in?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited February 2021
    If it helps, I was a right tw4t to my parents as a teenager but I was a little older by the sounds of it, I'd done ok at GCSE and flipped when I was doing A levels. I think I was frustrated at being pushed towards uni by my 6th form and there was no mention of any other options which might have suited me better. Scraped through with very little effort which I am now extremely thankful for, after a year of labouring and riding mountain bikes in Canada I decided to go to uni after all and they let me in with a grade lower than required because I was enthusiastic.

He'll still have options once he comes to his senses, it'll just be harder or easier depending on where he has currently given up. iirc there are good grants for adult study now
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,390
    Stevo_666 said:

Watch out, he'll be round on his mobility scooter and whack you with his walking stick.

It ain't that big.

Hayden bought dour, funereal scaffolding
    there are alternatives not explored by him
    Like Italian - soul, colour, bling

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Counting, shifting, moving, massaging numbers
    It consumed, obsessed, deluded and deranged him
    [The funeral is paid for]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    God knows how to get through to a teenager who is more susceptible to peer pressure than a parent/step parent.
    If shouting or reasoning don't work try guilt or shaming.
    Even use the fact that your daughter would have loved the chance to do her GCSEs and have his opportunities to waste.
    When getting kids back on the straight and narrow, no blow is too low.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Watch out, he'll be round on his mobility scooter and whack you with his walking stick.

It ain't that big.

Hayden bought dour, funereal scaffolding
    there are alternatives not explored by him
    Like Italian - soul, colour, bling

I'll have you know the website tells me it was hand made in Italy ;)

Two of my nice bikes are black, the other two are the incorrect colour.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Hmmm, this be tricky as its not our boy and everyone has a different parenting style, everyone's kids are different - even what works with bambina won't work with bambino and vice versa.

Sometimes the screaming/shouting doesn't work - you may find it beneficial to sit him down and explain that yup, he wants to be treated as an adult so you'll talk to him like one, charge him rent like one, expect him to do adult chores, etc.

You know, adult schitt.

It may also be worth pointing out that yup, they are just numbers on a piece of paper but without those numbers he won't earn the money to get his own beautiful casa h3 and trust me, scraping through each month or living on an estate is pretty schitt.

And yup, without the right numbers on that piece of paper he can't even join the Army, so welcome to the McJob industry.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    Whilst we drink alcohol, wine and beer
    we lecture those experimenting with 'illicit' gear
    the plight of middle class England, dear
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

Cold and snowy.

Job application receipt received, just told boss that I've applied for promotion course over eastern europe thing but if i can get on both then its a winner.

now to drink coffee before trying to explain Scope of Practice to people who don't want to understand it.

well, as much as expected, that was a total waste of time.

now eating pies as I can't be bothered any more.

signed off, switched off....
  • pinno
    I suppose quoting oneselves keeps a tab on everybody.

#makessense
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Cold and snowy.

Job application receipt received, just told boss that I've applied for promotion course over eastern europe thing but if i can get on both then its a winner.

now to drink coffee before trying to explain Scope of Practice to people who don't want to understand it.

well, as much as expected, that was a total waste of time.

now eating pies as I can't be bothered any more.

signed off, switched off....
    This is like the start of an action movie, you'll now gonna go an open up a can of whoopass and at some point say "i'm getting too old for this sh1t".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

Hmmm, this be tricky as its not our boy and everyone has a different parenting style, everyone's kids are different - even what works with bambina won't work with bambino and vice versa.

Sometimes the screaming/shouting doesn't work - you may find it beneficial to sit him down and explain that yup, he wants to be treated as an adult so you'll talk to him like one, charge him rent like one, expect him to do adult chores, etc.

You know, adult schitt.

It may also be worth pointing out that yup, they are just numbers on a piece of paper but without those numbers he won't earn the money to get his own beautiful casa h3 and trust me, scraping through each month or living on an estate is pretty schitt.

And yup, without the right numbers on that piece of paper he can't even join the Army, so welcome to the McJob industry.

Yeah, but what about my Haiku's?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

Whilst we drink alcohol, wine and beer
    we lecture those experimenting with 'illicit' gear
    the plight of middle class England, dear

Maybe so.
    But this lad (15?) is sneaking out at 1am and seems to be helping himself to money around the house.
    Bit more serious than having a crafty cider and a sneaky Benson.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pinno said:

Too many syllables.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Hoppy, i'm only starting in this parenting journey, so have no experience of teenagers, but do you know what he does want to do with his life, any dream jobs he would like?

Maybe help him find out the paths to get to those dreams and how GCSEs are a step on the way?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    Ben6899 said:

pinno said:

Too many syllables.
    Oh bollox, I was just using 7,5,7.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,569
    pinno said:

Ben6899 said:

pinno said:

Too many syllables.
    5-7-5 is the usual

though in japanese the counting is not the same as our simple way with syllables
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,701
    edited February 2021
    Shaggy locks all gone
    Robert Plant need not worry
    His look is his own

There's a first for me. Enough prevarication, JFDI. So JFDI it is. #jobjobbed

Added: good news that #1 Daughter's test result back (inside 18h) as negative, which I had expected but was concerned as a positive would have meant me going into the naughty room as a contact. Pixx right off C19.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

You know, adult schitt.

Wire brush and paraffin, that'll sort them. Trust me.

#healthcareprofessional
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

Shaggy locks all gone
    Robert Plant need not worry
    His look is his own

There's a first for me. Enough prevarication, JFDI. So JFDI it is. #jobjobbed

Added: good news that #1 Daughter's test result back (inside 18h) as negative, which I had expected but was concerned as a positive would have meant me going into the naughty room as a contact. Pixx right off C19.

get in on all counts, espesh the latter.

IN YOUR FACE COVID
  • seanoconn
    sungod said:

pinno said:

Ben6899 said:

pinno said:

Too many syllables.
    5-7-5 is the usual

though in japanese the counting is not the same as our simple way with syllables
    You’re holding up the movie thread!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,569
    no one got it yet, i gave a clue
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    sungod said:

no one got it yet, i gave a clue

Sorry sungod. The dummies like to be told they haven’t got it