BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662

Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?
    It's all relative. I think the point is you don't want the queue...
    Yes. Just that your tweet is ridiculous. The only reason to not have truckers living for days on the roadside is because of a possible TV moment.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,825

Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?
    Yes. Just that your tweet is ridiculous. The only reason to not have truckers living for days on the roadside is because of a possible TV moment.
    Those using refrigerated lorries may have other opinions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,759
    edited September 2020

I mean, there is an obvious physical challenge and there are reasons for why they would want to be closer to dover.

If it was that obvious BB, there wouldn't be a need for this.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,721
    edited September 2020

They'll all just queue on a different bit of motorway, maybe at Clacket Lane Services. Dartford will become even more of a bottle neck. If this ever comes to pass that is. They haven't even built up the capacity at the actual port let alone the internal holding points.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2020
    pblakeney said:

Those using refrigerated lorries may have other opinions.
    Operation Stack/Brock has always prioritised perishable goods. Why would that change now or are you trying to spread misinformation?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662
    rjsterry said:

They'll all just queue on a different bit of motorway, maybe at Clacket Lane Services. Dartford will become even more of a bottle neck. If this ever comes to pass that is. They haven't even built up the capacity at the actual port let alone the internal holding points.
    You don't think UK resident truckers might prefer to just lounge around at home?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

You don't think UK resident truckers might prefer to just lounge around at home?
    I don't think that's how it likely to pan out, no.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Once again, the upsides of Brexit are defended as "well, it might not completely be the end of civilisation"
  • It always amuses slightly that Brock is the Ulster word for waste food.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I really dont understand this. When I go to the ferry I have a ticket. Just have the lorry on a booked ferry slot and dont issue more tickets than customs can cope with. It's that simple. Isn't it?
  • I really dont understand this. When I go to the ferry I have a ticket. Just have the lorry on a booked ferry slot and dont issue more tickets than customs can cope with. It's that simple. Isn't it?

Customs coping isn't the issue.
    It's a huge number of lorries turning up with no "ticket"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Customs coping isn't the issue.
    It's a huge number of lorries turning up with no "ticket"
    Simple, tell the lorry owners to book in advance.
    I'm sure the big shiping firms will stop routing RoW-UK containers through europort anyway.
    Market economies usually rebalance this kind of disruption.
  • Simple

OK

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Is the backstop back?
  • Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?
    Once again, the upsides of Brexit are defended as "well, it might not completely be the end of civilisation"
    The disruption is going to come from the French blockading the port Calais and Eurotunnel.

Anyone competent in logistics should know their history on this type of French action and redirect their traffic to other non-French ports for the first few weeks
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,627

Is the backstop back?

Intentional 90s music pun?
  • rjsterry

The disruption is going to come from the French blockading the port Calais and Eurotunnel.

Anyone competent in logistics should know their history on this type of French action and redirect their traffic to other non-French ports for the first few weeks
    You realise Gove stood up in Parliament and announced the Kent Access Permits. Or is he part of Project Fear, too?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?

I think Dominic Raab might have a lesson for you about how important Dover-Calais is.

I think Dominic Raab might have a lesson for you about how important Dover-Calais is.
    He won't. I grew up in the area and saw the first implementation of Operation Stack as a child and have seen or been disrupted by many of the other times it has been used.

The worst disruption being in 2014 or 2015 when the asylum seekers were disrupting tunnel train movement and it was in place for the majority of a 45 day period.
  • rjsterry said:

You realise Gove stood up in Parliament and announced the Kent Access Permits. Or is he part of Project Fear, too?
    The Kermits.

He won't. I grew up in the area and saw the first implementation of Operation Stack as a child and have seen or been disrupted by many of the other times it has been used.

The worst disruption being in 2014 or 2015 when the asylum seekers were disrupting tunnel train movement and it was in place for the majority of a 45 day period.
    So even then did not enough vehicles divert to other routes then?
  • rick_chasey
    Given most of the restaurants have just said they'll open an hour earlier to compensate for closing an hour earlier, perhaps this government is actually trying to get the UK, bit by bit, to be put on central European time ;) i.e. a massive brexit betrayal.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603
    Just had a meeting with our advisors and touched on Brexit. Apparently one of their 'experts' is saying that one outcome of us going back on the NI protocol could be ROI having to partially dislocate itself from the single market. I will try to find out more, but if true, could this end up being a case of 'he who laughs last, laughs longest'? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    edited September 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Just had a meeting with our advisors and touched on Brexit. Apparently one of their 'experts' is saying that one outcome of us going back on the NI protocol could be ROI having to partially dislocate itself from the single market. I will try to find out more, but if true, could this end up being a case of 'he who laughs last, laughs longest'? :)

Are these expensive advisors?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,283
    edited September 2020
    Hahaha

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-rules-out-brexit-row-over-third-country-listings-for-food-exports/

“The EU has now said to us that normal processes will be followed on third-country listings. So there are no obstacles to listing our food and agricultural products as our food standards rules will be exactly the same as the EU’s,” a spokesperson said."

A bit like:

• Stevo_666 said:

Ha, they were smiling and didn't bill them for it!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603

Stevo_666 said:

This was part of our regular coordination meeting with the lead partner so counts as 'business development'. Even if it did cost, it could turn out to be priceless for the outrage it will cause on here if this is right and comes to pass ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

So even then did not enough vehicles divert to other routes then?
    Obviously not, but then did not have 10+ months notice like they have this time.

It also re-opened intermittently for a few hours before closing again when the migrants breach security so it became a capacity issue which caused the queues rather than a total blockade.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This was part of our regular coordination meeting with the lead partner so counts as 'business development'. Even if it did cost, it could turn out to be priceless for the outrage it will cause on here if this is right and comes to pass ;)
    Do you think if the single market were needed to change as a result of the UK going back on its agreement regarding Brexit, that the EU will allow that to be consequence free for the UK?

I don't know the answer, but I would be surprised.