BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Sounds like the "Internal Market Bill" is having the desired effect and removing the blockages.

It's making those who riled against it look silly.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just had a meeting with our advisors and touched on Brexit. Apparently one of their 'experts' is saying that one outcome of us going back on the NI protocol could be ROI having to partially dislocate itself from the single market. I will try to find out more, but if true, could this end up being a case of 'he who laughs last, laughs longest'? :)

Are these expensive advisors?
    This was part of our regular coordination meeting with the lead partner so counts as 'business development'. Even if it did cost, it could turn out to be priceless for the outrage it will cause on here if this is right and comes to pass ;)
    Did you point out you'd read about this before on Bike Radar's Cake Stop forum and had already a full understanding of the issues involved? ;)

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just had a meeting with our advisors and touched on Brexit. Apparently one of their 'experts' is saying that one outcome of us going back on the NI protocol could be ROI having to partially dislocate itself from the single market. I will try to find out more, but if true, could this end up being a case of 'he who laughs last, laughs longest'? :)

This was part of our regular coordination meeting with the lead partner so counts as 'business development'. Even if it did cost, it could turn out to be priceless for the outrage it will cause on here if this is right and comes to pass ;)
    Do you think if the single market were needed to change as a result of the UK going back on its agreement regarding Brexit, that the EU will allow that to be consequence free for the UK?

I don't know the answer, but I would be surprised.
    Let's see shall we...I shall try to find out more in the coming weeks and will update when I hear. This is getting interesting :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,763
    Shout out for the word "experts" being put in inverted commas.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Do you think if the single market were needed to change as a result of the UK going back on its agreement regarding Brexit, that the EU will allow that to be consequence free for the UK?

Let's see shall we...I shall try to find out more in the coming weeks and will update when I hear. This is getting interesting :smile:
    Does this expert have any genuine insight into discussions within the EU, or is this a "what the fuck are they going to do about this shit show?" type of "could be"?
  • Stevo_666

Shout out for the word "experts" being put in inverted commas.

A lot of the reactions to my post above seem to be more in hope than anything else. Keep hoping and I'll let you know :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Sounds like the "Internal Market Bill" is having the desired effect and removing the blockages.

Given it's a cycling forum, there could be a lot of backpedalling if this actually happens :)

As I said, I need to find out more and it's a pity I wasn't actually speaking to the expert but picked up on something the lead partner relayed as an interesting point and we didn't really have time to dive into it. However I will need to know more from a work point of view as clearly this has implications for logistics of supplying the Irish market.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,322
    Out of interest Stevo, you say that was one possible outcome. Did they mention what the other outcomes could be, and give any opinion as to their relative likelihoods?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Did you point out you'd read about this before on Bike Radar's Cake Stop forum and had already a full understanding of the issues involved? ;)

I hope the expert reads it as well, you need to check with other experts.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Does this expert have any genuine insight into discussions within the EU, or is this a "what the censored are they going to do about this censored show?" type of "could be"?
    Yes he does. It's part of his job.
  • Sounds like the "Internal Market Bill" is having the desired effect and removing the blockages.

You're a gem
    Don't ever change
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Useful thread on why a deal won't do away with border issues

• Stevo_666

Useful thread on why a deal won't do away with border issues

Who said it would?

That said, it is something that the Irish may be interested in after my post above ;)
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited September 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

That said, it is something that the Irish may be interested in after my post above ;)
    We were promised the same or better than our current trade terms.

Specifically it was Gove who said it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36074853
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,829

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

That in itself was the biggest lie/con of all.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Even I had forgotten quite how deluded/blatant it was. I guess we've given up all pretence of cake-&-eat-it. More like "The cake won't be nearly as badly burnt as the Remoaners said it will be" now.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Even I had forgotten quite how deluded/blatant it was. I guess we've given up all pretence of cake-&-eat-it. More like "The cake won't be nearly as badly burnt as the Remoaners said it will be" now.
    Yet people still listen when the same people assure them that no deal is what 17.4 million people voted for.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

You can also now add in "and if we are lucky, we can get Ireland to have a partly burnt cake too".
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

It depends who he is talking for. If you are exporting or importing fresh goods with a short shelf life, your bugg3red. If you are a city spiv, I'm there is much money to be made from the disruption.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662
    edited September 2020
    A vaguely positive article in the Times also contained this bit

There is no good deal on fishing for the French fleet; it would come out badly from any compromise. What worries some in the government is that this might deter Emmanuel Macron from getting involved in the search for an agreement. They fear that he might choose not to dip his hand in fish guts, but instead let things slide to no-deal. Then after a few months, which European capitals believe would increase the pressure on London to compromise, he could re-engage and tell French fishermen that he had won them back a chunk of their old quota.
  • rick_chasey

There is no good deal on fishing for the French fleet; it would come out badly from any compromise. What worries some in the government is that this might deter Emmanuel Macron from getting involved in the search for an agreement. They fear that he might choose not to dip his hand in fish guts, but instead let things slide to no-deal. Then after a few months, which European capitals believe would increase the pressure on London to compromise, he could re-engage and tell French fishermen that he had won them back a chunk of their old quota.
    Yup. It's not just the Brits who have their own headbangers who need red meat.
  • TheBigBean

You keep reaffirming the lack of exceptionalism. I'm perfectly happy with the idea that idiocy has no passport.

• rick_chasey

You keep reaffirming the lack of exceptionalism. I'm perfectly happy with the idea that idiocy has no passport.

Sure, but I get accused of not being balanced on this issue, so the occasional reminder is no bad thing.

I have often thought your belief that the rational mutual self-interest argument that they will come to a decent agreement was too ambitious, as it didn't take this kind of behaviour enough into account.
  • TheBigBean

Sure, but I get accused of not being balanced on this issue, so the occasional reminder is no bad thing.

I have often thought your belief that the rational mutual self-interest argument that they will come to a decent agreement was too ambitious, as it didn't take this kind of behaviour enough into account.
    For clarity, you are definitely not balanced on the issue.

The market can remain irrational for longer than you can stay solvent.
  • rick_chasey
    Being permanently contrarian, and just opposing whatever anyone is saying, isn't being balanced either fwiw.

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    ha
  • Being permanently contrarian, and just opposing whatever anyone is saying, isn't being balanced either fwiw.

Come on TBB, tell him he's wrong.
  • rick_chasey

Being permanently contrarian, and just opposing whatever anyone is saying, isn't being balanced either fwiw.

Come on TBB, tell him he's wrong.
    Yes it's a bit unfair from me.
  • A vaguely positive article in the Times also contained this bit

That was written by James Forsyth of The Spectator, his weekly column reads like a Downing Street press release. I think it is worth reading as it gives you an idea of Boris's thinking but "dip his hands in fish guts" you can almost hear the fat tvvat saying it.

I also can't work out if a French fishymen blockade of French ports will make things ten times worse or really not matter because lorry traffic will already be down 75%