TDF 2019: Stage 3, Binche > Épernay 08/07/2019 - 215 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    RichN95 wrote:
    There may be some small time gaps at the finish. A big gap between the two Ineos riders looked more than a second.

10 THIBAUT PINOT 51 GROUPAMA - FDJ 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    11 TIESJ BENOOT 162 LOTTO SOUDAL 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    12 EGAN BERNAL 2 TEAM INEOS 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    13 GERAINT THOMAS 1 TEAM INEOS 04h 41' 00'' + 00h 00' 31'' - -
    14 JAKOB FUGLSANG 71 ASTANA PRO TEAM 04h 41' 00'' + 00h 00' 31''

There looked to be a gap between WvA and Pinot too but none given.
  • Pross
    Other than the big punch off the front I reckon Alaphilippe gained most of his time on the descents.

Yep, Ineos had control of the bunch and weren't taking any risks with no-one else being able to get on the front and take up the chase.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Who got the bonus seconds?

Matthews and Stuyven, a surprise interloper into the top 3.

I assume he meant the hill bonus?

Yeah sorry, not the ones at the finish but th earlier ones, think it was all lost when alaphillipe attacked!

Wellens took them I think.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Zakarin, Dennis and Aru all definitely not riding for GC
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Who got the bonus seconds?

Matthews and Stuyven, a surprise interloper into the top 3.

I assume he meant the hill bonus?

Yeah sorry, not the ones at the finish but th earlier ones, think it was all lost when alaphillipe attacked!

Wellens took them I think.

It was Wellens then Alaphilippe but I'm not sure who led the bunch over for the remaining 2s

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,245
    Woods I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Woods I think

Must be as he's moved 2 seconds ahead of Uran Uran

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Woods I think

Must be as he's moved 2 seconds ahead of Uran Uran

and Van Garderen - my outside bet :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,068
    What's also so impressive is he told anyone who was listening repeatedly that this stage really suited him and he'd recon'd it.
  • RichN95.
    First French Yellow Jersey for five years
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,908
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    There may be some small time gaps at the finish. A big gap between the two Ineos riders looked more than a second.

10 THIBAUT PINOT 51 GROUPAMA - FDJ 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    11 TIESJ BENOOT 162 LOTTO SOUDAL 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    12 EGAN BERNAL 2 TEAM INEOS 04h 40' 55'' + 00h 00' 26'' - -
    13 GERAINT THOMAS 1 TEAM INEOS 04h 41' 00'' + 00h 00' 31'' - -
    14 JAKOB FUGLSANG 71 ASTANA PRO TEAM 04h 41' 00'' + 00h 00' 31''

There looked to be a gap between WvA and Pinot too but none given.

I've just come back and spotted that too.
    It was a clear gap, but then there's a French gap. :wink:

Alaphilippe gets 2 or 3 days in yellow but will lose it on Thursday for sure.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

I've just come back and spotted that too.
    It was a clear gap, but then there's a French gap. :wink:

Alaphilippe gets 2 or 3 days in yellow but will lose it on Thursday for sure.
    It was a gap, but not a second. At 40kph a second is 11 metres (8m at 30kph)
  • Pross
    There didn't seem a huge amount of difference between the two gaps though and I thought the rule was just that there had to be an obvious gap?
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    I was on the last climb today, about 200m above the Moet Chandon hut and 150m before the KOM.

OMFG we watched Alaphillpe make his jump to catch Wallens... The French cheer was HUGE.

We could see his descent across the vinyards he was a massive amount ahead of the rest on the downhill, so so much faster.

Amazing to watch.

The cheer on the hillside when he won the stage and confirmed yellow was beautiful.

Muntingy is gorgeous... But don't drink Moet or Bollinger for a few years... There will be a distinct tasting note of French piss with the aftertaste of the shite of a Scottish 9yr old girl.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    I was on the last climb today, about 200m above the Moet Chandon hut and 150m before the KOM.

OMFG we watched Alaphillpe make his jump to catch Wallens... The French cheer was HUGE.

We could see his descent across the vinyards he was a massive amount ahead of the rest on the downhill, so so much faster.

Amazing to watch.

The cheer on the hillside when he won the stage and confirmed yellow was beautiful.

I like reading reports from the front line like this.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,435
    What's also so impressive is he told anyone who was listening repeatedly that this stage really suited him and he'd recon'd it.

Pretty sure I saw an interview yesterday where he said he'd attack over the last climb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I know this will be appreciated in certain circles.

vache_equitable.jpg?itok=kwoxJkWa

C'est superb!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey

Pretty sure I saw an interview yesterday where he said he'd attack over the last climb.

Oooof well that changes it all ;)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,245

He recon'd a similar stage last year iirc. EF come to the tour this year with a bit of game.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Brilliant stage and attack from Alaphilippe.

I just wish DQS weren't so LADS LADS LADS.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:

Ha very true.

They are quite macho
  • rick_chasey
    In an interview he’s been saying he was expecting a small group to follow him which was why he was happy to do so early.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

Ha very true.

They are quite macho

I blame Brian Holm!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 532
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:

Amazing to watch.

Muntingy is gorgeous... But don't drink Moet or Bollinger for a few years... There will be a distinct tasting note of French wee-wee with the aftertaste of the shite of a Scottish 9yr old girl.
    Wow that must have been a fantastic day.
    Do you know what happened to WEllens bike on the climb?
  • RichN95.
    There seems to be an odd narrative arising that Thomas losing 5s to Bernal/Pinot shows he's struggling. Surely he was still the 3rd GC guy up the climb.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    Pross wrote:
    There didn't seem a huge amount of difference between the two gaps though and I thought the rule was just that there had to be an obvious gap?
    Nope. It's one second.
    The gap between Bernal and Thomas was clearly much bigger than the one in front of Pinot.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    There seems to be an odd narrative arising that Thomas losing 5s to Bernal/Pinot shows he's struggling. Surely he was still the 3rd GC guy up the climb.

Just stirring in the hope of an inter team bust up, no?
  • Just watched the highlights - that was superb stuff.

All 3 stages so far have been great, let's hope this continues...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,908
    RichN95 wrote:

Just stirring in the hope of an inter team bust up, no?

Not gonna happen if that's the hope.
    Surprised that no one has come up with the: deliberately let go of the wheel, for Bernal to gain time of his rivals, theory.
    The one that goes with him already being the secret, solo team leader, cos Ineos already know GT ain't got it.

It was day 3, wasn't it?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Letting a gap open was sloppy. Had Thomas been another GC rider from another team the discussion would have been the attention to detail from INEOS. Meh.

I enjoyed how 'on brand' Tony Martin, Wellens, Alaphillipe were.

Good stage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!