Donald Trump

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    AFAIK, Jimmy Carter was (is?) the only American president not to wage war.
    For all of Trump's idiocy, I do not think he has the appetite for was.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Trump: "I stopped Iran attack because 150 Iranians might have died"

Also Trump: "We will obliterate your country"
  • pinno
    Imposter wrote:

PR
    Imposter wrote:

Mere posturing.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Logically then, if Iran continue to damage property only..........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pinno
    Logically then, if Iran continue to damage property only..........

Trump Towers? (after a fire alarm hoax)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

PR
    Imposter wrote:

Mere posturing.
    To be fair, the last statement was said in the context of 'if there is a war'.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48728465

At least he pulled back from retaliating in this case.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

PR
    Imposter wrote:

Mere posturing.
    To be fair, the last statement was said in the context of 'if there is a war'.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48728465

At least he pulled back from retaliating in this case.

Its posturing, he wants to build the Tehran trump tower.
  • bendertherobot
    Priority response:

1. She's not my type;
    2. I did not assault her.
  • Priority response:

1. She's not my type;
    Telling, isn't it.
  • bendertherobot
    Priority response:

1. She's not my type;
    Telling, isn't it.

There must be one, just one, special adviser standing behind him having an absolute heart attack, mustn't there? Or is the saddest part that there is no one left.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Priority response:

1. She's not my type;
    Telling, isn't it.

There must be one, just one, special adviser standing behind him having an absolute heart attack, mustn't there? Or is the saddest part that there is no one left.
    A woman on CNN this afternoon was saying 'his words mean, she's too ugly to rape"
    which brings us back to Britain and the sad state politics is in
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-comments
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bendertherobot
    Are we in one organisation's endgame or is this just a series of unfortunate events that got us here?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Priority response:

1. She's not my type;
    Telling, isn't it.
    "I would, if she were."

The really chilling bit is that his base would, at best, shrug their shoulders, or, at worst, cheer him on. That seems to be where we are.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Well don't forget that SHE replied - 'you deny all of the accusations of rape made against you' ..or something like that.

..which is more stupid if you think about it.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Lagrange wrote:
    Well don't forget that SHE replied - 'you deny all of the accusations of rape made against you' ..or something like that.

Update: All 18 women who have accused Donald Trump of sexual misconduct
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

I wonder how busy he will be in the courts post his time a president. He almost needs that second term now just to avoid the days in the courts. Whilst Trump is a cretin I do have raise the point about why these claims were not made to the proper authorities at the time. I also have to question what kind of person meets Trump in a lingerie department and then agrees to model underwear for him in a change room. Maybe its how rich people think but I can't imagine I would have much luck with this plan down the local Debenhams.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    john80 wrote:
    She was asking for it
    FTFY
  • robert88
    john80 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Trump is a cretin I do have raise the point about why these claims were not made to the proper authorities at the time..

Maybe its how rich people think but I can't imagine I would have much luck with this plan down the local Debenhams.

I guess it's even tougher going to the authorities about Trump as you imagine it is doing that sort of thing in Debenhams.

He's rich and powerful and you aren't.
  • john80
    bompington wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    She was asking for it
    FTFY

Ever the intelligent response.
  • john80
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Trump is a cretin I do have raise the point about why these claims were not made to the proper authorities at the time..

Maybe its how rich people think but I can't imagine I would have much luck with this plan down the local Debenhams.

I guess it's even tougher going to the authorities about Trump as you imagine it is doing that sort of thing in Debenhams.

Why go to the effort of quoting me to then remove a number of sentences from the quote.
  • bompington
    john80 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    She was asking for it
    FTFY

Ever the intelligent response.
    What is wrong with my response? Can you explain in what way I have mischaracterised what you said?
  • robert88
    john80 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Why go to the effort of quoting me to then remove a number of sentences from the quote.

Because they weren't relevant to my point and I tried to make it easier for you to comprehend.
  • bompington
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    ... I tried to make it easier for you to comprehend.
    Wasted effort.
  • john80
    bompington wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    ... I am fundamentally a bit sneaky and thought my best way out was to claim a higher intelligence when queried.

I joined in with the intelligence slur merely to demonstrate that I might not be as smart as I have self declared to be.

FTFBOY (Fixed that for both of you)
  • robert88
    john80 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    ... I am fundamentally a bit sneaky and thought my best way out was to claim a higher intelligence when queried.

I joined in with the intelligence slur merely to demonstrate that I might not be as smart as I have self declared to be.

FTFBOY (Fixed that for both of you)

You are failing to respond to my point that the victim was attacked by someone far more powerful in every respect. Someone whom she had no reason to distrust back then (she would now).

After the attack her assailant was no less powerful, having the means to pay lawyers. It's not surprising she decided to take the matter no further. Now of course she knows she is not alone and her attacker's reputation is no longer what she understood it to be back then.

If you want any further clarification you only need to ask.
  • briantrumpet
    john80 wrote:
    Whilst Trump is a cretin I do have raise the point about why these claims were not made to the proper authorities at the time. I also have to question what kind of person meets Trump in a lingerie department and then agrees to model underwear for him in a change room.
    If you don't know the answers to those questions, perhaps you should do some more reading about rape: why agreeing to model underwear for anyone isn't consenting to sex, and why women have been reticent about making allegations about rich and powerful people, especially ones who litigate at the drop of a hat.
  • pinno
    john80 wrote:
    Whilst Trump is a cretin I do have raise the point about why these claims were not made to the proper authorities at the time. I also have to question what kind of person meets Trump in a lingerie department and then agrees to model underwear for him in a change room.
    If you don't know the answers to those questions, perhaps you should do some more reading about rape: why agreeing to model underwear for anyone isn't consenting to sex, and why women have been reticent about making allegations about rich and powerful people, especially ones who litigate at the drop of a hat.

Maybe the case of Mr Crosby, B and Mr Weinstein H will open the floodgates or at least, given the 'underdog' the confidence to step forward.
    Maybe some of his more affluent 'clients'/acquaintances won't be so easily bought off.
    Maybe some of the allegations are dubious but if you live by the sword...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    john80 wrote:

it's also easy to judge with the benefit of hindsight - it's easy now to say that modelling for someone like Trump is a bad idea - but back then, what did she think she'd get out of it - do this now and in the future there may be more opportunities? I'm sure all the actresses that fell prey to Harvey W were just as dumb ... or perhaps they knew they'd be finished in the industry if they refused?
    Exploitation of others happens all around the world - people with a (perceived) position of power can easily take advantage for their own benefits - I won't say it used to be acceptable - I don't think it's ever been acceptable, just ignored as "the price you pay"
  • john80
    john80 wrote:

So you meet a guy at a party in 86 and then ten year later when you are 53 you bump into him in a lingerie department where he gives you a tale that he does not know what pants to buy for his 33 year old wife Marla Maples. You then hit upon the bright idea of agreeing to strip off your clothes suggestion and presumably come out and model said pants. You then are writing your memoirs presumably to make some money in 2019 and this is the time that you think is the best time to bring this out. Rape was a crime in the 1990's.

Question still remains why not go to the police when there was an actual prospect of getting a witness statement from some staff or customers that would support her claim. It is a serious question to a serious allegation. I listened to the guy that was the first victim of the Paul Crossley who pushed the guy onto the train tracks in London after his trial and he felt guilty that he did not do more to prevent the subsequent attack even though in his case there was little more he could of done looking at the CCTV to apprehend the individual due to the speed of his escape. Does she not feel any responsibility to any of the later victims of Trump that could have been prevented had she taken the matter to the police. Or should we applaud all these stoic victims of crimes that they claim but yet did nothing to prevent others suffering or alter the perpetrators alleged offending. Whilst it is an alternative view point I don't think that shutting it down on slut shaming grounds really solves anything as alleged victims need to be subject to the same scrutiny as alleged perpetrators otherwise miss carriages of justice occur. The modern world is really becoming a fan of kangeroo courts. We have already had a number of high profile cases in the UK with celebrities affected by false claims and lets face it in a lot of their cases they were significantly more likeable than Trump.
  • briantrumpet
    john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:

So you meet a guy at a party in 86 and then ten year later when you are 53 you bump into him in a lingerie department where he gives you a tale that he does not know what pants to buy for his 33 year old wife Marla Maples. You then hit upon the bright idea of agreeing to strip off your clothes suggestion and presumably come out and model said pants. You then are writing your memoirs presumably to make some money in 2019 and this is the time that you think is the best time to bring this out. Rape was a crime in the 1990's.

Question still remains why not go to the police when there was an actual prospect of getting a witness statement from some staff or customers that would support her claim. It is a serious question to a serious allegation. I listened to the guy that was the first victim of the Paul Crossley who pushed the guy onto the train tracks in London after his trial and he felt guilty that he did not do more to prevent the subsequent attack even though in his case there was little more he could have done looking at the CCTV to apprehend the individual due to the speed of his escape. Does she not feel any responsibility to any of the later victims of Trump that could have been prevented had she taken the matter to the police. Or should we applaud all these stoic victims of crimes that they claim but yet did nothing to prevent others suffering or alter the perpetrators alleged offending. Whilst it is an alternative view point I don't think that shutting it down on slut shaming grounds really solves anything as alleged victims need to be subject to the same scrutiny as alleged perpetrators otherwise miss carriages of justice occur. The modern world is really becoming a fan of kangeroo courts. We have already had a number of high profile cases in the UK with celebrities affected by false claims and lets face it in a lot of their cases they were significantly more likeable than Trump.
    Keep digging.