Donald Trump

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Given the USA is not a dictatorship and is quite large it would seem that overthrowing Donald Trump in the manner which we like to do in the middle east is not likely to work. I then question all those that seemingly want to take him to task on every stupid idea he has and he has many. The smarter approach is to let him meet the queen leave with a good vibe maybe just nod and smile to all the kids trying to do dodgy deals and then relax when he has went back to his homeland.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,356
    john80 wrote:
    Given the USA is not a dictatorship and is quite large it would seem that overthrowing Donald Trump in the manner which we like to do in the middle east is not likely to work. I then question all those that seemingly want to take him to task on every stupid idea he has and he has many. The smarter approach is to let him meet the queen leave with a good vibe maybe just nod and smile to all the kids trying to do dodgy deals and then relax when he has went back to his homeland.

And what constructive outcome would that illicit then?

There are so many issues in play currently. Brexit/No Brexit/Brexit with deal/Withdrawal of troops in the middle east/trade wars/The Iran situation (to which we don't agree)/Russia's continuing ambivalence etc that all affect the UK.
    But Donny takes centre stage whilst all other issues become sidelines.

Anything Trumpo is involved with panders to the lowest common denominator and is a devolution.
    It's important that we don;t get sucked into that mire.
    At least Corbyn for all his faults* isn't being a sycophantic Tory.

*I'm not endorsing Corbyn's recent diplomatic faux pas BTW.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Hi latest 'smart, stable genius' plan to charge Americans more in tax on cars, food and other items imported from Mexico if they don't stop legal immigrants going to the border is at last causing his own party to revolt
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/p ... e=Homepage
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Who on earth can see the system in the US, where coverage i terrible and public health has levelled out life expectancy yet they pay almost double what the rest of Europe does and this "this is what's best for the nation"

Ludicrous.

From this: https://www.ft.com/content/ad96b8d8-fad ... 144feab7de

D8Sgb7xX4AAR3d_.jpg
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    I haven't heard Nigel Farage complaining about the US president sticking his nose into our affairs for a couple of years now.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Who on earth can see the system in the US, where coverage i terrible and public health has levelled out life expectancy yet they pay almost double what the rest of Europe does and this "this is what's best for the nation"

Ludicrous.

D8Sgb7xX4AAR3d_.jpg
    So let me get this right, a trade deal with the US would force the NHS to pay US firms more to buy the drugs that currently we get cheaper :? :?:
  • pinno
    bompington wrote:

Ludicrous.

D8Sgb7xX4AAR3d_.jpg
    So let me get this right, a trade deal with the US would force the NHS to pay US firms more to buy the drugs that currently we get cheaper :? :?:

Well yes, where have you been?
    It's also about patents.

US drug companies force many south American and 3rd world countries to buy patented (non-generic) drugs, often when there is a trade agreement between the two countries. It's part of the deal.
    This directly leads to deaths.

My post from another thread:

The Colombians signed up to a trade deal with the US and opened itself up to externally lead investment. The French took over the water and electricity supply and the result was that the very poorest no longer got electricity or clean water because they could not afford it. many got sick. many died.
    One of the clauses of this investment was that the Colombians signed up to an agreement to buy drugs from US but they could no longer sell generic drugs. Channel 4 covered this story and a story about a Colombian family who's son needed Fluconazole (a drug which I was on funnily enough for a number of years) but since the trade agreement, the Fluconazole was now costing $27 for a week course. Not being well off, they crossed the border on a monthly basis to buy the drug in Venezuela where it was a matter of pence for a week course. The border guards turned a blind eye to this illegal activity and to thousands doing the same. The boy was 7 years old. The Americans put pressure on the Colombian government because it was putting the brakes on the anticipated profits from the trade deal. The Columbines clamped down on this cross border activity and the family could not afford the drug and the boy died.

Another trade deal between the Cote D'Ivoire and Ghana, where they secured a trade deal with the US, one of the stipulations was that the US could export rice. That area of West Africa were starting to grow rice as an alternative to other starches - wheat, potato and Maize.
    The trade deal obliterated the internal rice market. Uncle Ben - lovely guy.
    Next up GM maize was sold the West Africans in yet another trade agreement. It yielded bumper crops. 1/3rd was eaten. 1/3rd was sold and the other 3rd was for next years crop. Except there wasn't any next crop as it is hybrid. Yields nothing and now many farmers are locked into an eternal loop of re-purchasing GM seed.

30 years on, Tiananmen square tank protester said yesterday that the voices in China are being suppressed, the memory of the Tiananmen square is being eroded and it's all being lost in trade and commerce.

The poisoned Ivy of global capitalism pervades everything, whilst providing nests and shelter for the few and here we are about to leave a huge trading block with protection for human rights, freedom of movement, trade and put up a big sign saying 'UK - For Sale'... 'All reasonable offers accepted' and are forced to hedge our bets and suck up to Trump.
  • kingstongraham
    Ha - just heard people who fact check Trump being like people who are getting hit by a bully fact checking the claim "you are hitting yourself in the face". He doesn't care about being truthful.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Not a fan of Sadiq Khan, Goo?
    Nope. And it's not because of what you or others may think.

What's wrong with him?

London mayor is basically head of transport. I'm unimpressed with the bus changes.

London buses have their issues but they are a different world from anywhere outside the capital.
    #London bubble

The mayor of London does typically focus on London primarily.
    That was a comment on the post above. I didn't think people would need it explaining that London prices for transportation is significantly better than many parts of the world. People are complaining about prices and service that rest of UK probably won't see.

#stopcomplaininglondon
  • john80
    Pinno wrote:
    john80 wrote:

There are so many issues in play currently. Brexit/No Brexit/Brexit with deal/Withdrawal of troops in the middle east/trade wars/The Iran situation (to which we don't agree)/Russia's continuing ambivalence etc that all affect the UK.

Anything Trumpo is involved with panders to the lowest common denominator and is a devolution.

You appear to be broadly agreeing with me but asking what we should do differently. You can't deal with trump other than to personally hand him cash in the form of bribes through his various dodgy enterprises as he is only in life for himself. So if you don't want to cross that line then the answer is to wait till a better president is in power which may not be too long. If we take Brexit first you have to leave otherwise we won't be negotiating anything so even discussing it in public seems to be a negative discussion. On the issue of troop deployment and foreign wars the answer is simply to follow your own foreign policy and then try to put that across as the best course of action to those you have influence over. In the case of America they are a major superpower so only a fool thinks we have serious clout to guide their foreign policy in the same way we can't force Russia or China to do something they are hell bent on pursuing.
  • kingstongraham
    john80 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    john80 wrote:

You appear to be broadly agreeing with me but asking what we should do differently. You can't deal with trump other than to personally hand him cash in the form of bribes through his various dodgy enterprises as he is only in life for himself. So if you don't want to cross that line then the answer is to wait till a better president is in power which may not be too long. If we take Brexit first you have to leave otherwise we won't be negotiating anything so even discussing it in public seems to be a negative discussion. On the issue of troop deployment and foreign wars the answer is simply to follow your own foreign policy and then try to put that across as the best course of action to those you have influence over. In the case of America they are a major superpower so only a fool thinks we have serious clout to guide their foreign policy in the same way we can't force Russia or China to do something they are hell bent on pursuing.

Why are we a nuclear power?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Not a fan of Sadiq Khan, Goo?
    Nope. And it's not because of what you or others may think.

What's wrong with him?

London mayor is basically head of transport. I'm unimpressed with the bus changes.

London buses have their issues but they are a different world from anywhere outside the capital.
    #London bubble

The mayor of London does typically focus on London primarily.
    That was a comment on the post above. I didn't think people would need it explaining that London prices for transportation is significantly better than many parts of the world. People are complaining about prices and service that rest of UK probably won't see.

#stopcomplaininglondon

That's just whataboutism. Khan is elected and is accountable to his electorate. Transport is one of the main voting issues, and the fact it is better than the rural Cumbrian service is irrelevant. In the same way, that Trump is no Stalin is also not relevant.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    TheBigBean wrote:
    That's just whataboutism. Khan is elected and is accountable to his electorate. Transport is one of the main voting issues, and the fact it is better than the rural Cumbrian service is irrelevant. In the same way, that Trump is no Stalin is also not relevant.
    The same could said of Khan and London in this thread.
    #startanotherthread
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tangled_metal
    Personally I was thinking of a recent newspaper report (I think linked to on this forum) on rail and/or bus prices of equivalent type / length across the UK. London and surrounding areas had cheaper public transport for equivalent routes. I believe they quoted routes in Bristol and Cambridge area but I can't exactly remember (I didn't pay that much attention because they were reporting southern city routes as the higher cost per mile travelled price compared to London. Nothing mentioned north of Birmingham or rural so rural Cumbria is irrelevant.

Lets face it you're coming across as whinging over London transport system because you oppose the labour London mayor. Just my opinion and you'll probably tag it as whataboutery or some other tag that springs to mind.

At least SK has been consistent in his opposition to Trump. A worthwhile activity getting under Trump's skin. Trump definitely seems to react to him. If only more UK politicians did that...
  • pinno
    At least SK has been consistent in his opposition to Trump. A worthwhile activity getting under Trump's skin. Trump definitely seems to react to him. If only more UK politicians did that...

Precisely. Jeremy C*nt springs to mind. He could cite the answers he gave to the questions raised about Trump's visit as diplomacy, I think he's spineless along with the rest of the cabinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOcmEvQl1o

But the Tory government are in a corner by their own volition.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Phew! Let's hope he never comes back.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    Comparing the Irish border issues to the Mexican border and that wall. Eh, no. The desire is the complete opposite. Complete buffoon, to put it politely.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Robert88 wrote:

Hope he comes back soon. If only to irritate the snowflakes that took to the streets.

He's not everyone's cuppa, especially me, but there's no getting away from fact that he's popular in much of the USA. He's done what he promised, which is more than any PM has done in UK.

I'd rather him than that anti Semitic 5hit Corbyn which most of the demonstrators in London were siding with. How does that equate? Demonstrate against a retrograde leader for his stance against immigration and 'human rights' , yet listen with intent and applaud someone who sympathises with terrorist organisations and who is clearly anti Semitic.

All mad.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited June 2019
    Why are we a nuclear power?[/quote]

are we though? really?

#arewe?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Hope he comes back soon. If only to irritate the snowflakes that took to the streets.

He's not everyone's cuppa, especially me, but there's no getting away from fact that he's popular in much of the USA. He's done what he promised, which is more than any PM has done in UK.

I'd rather him than that anti Semitic 5hit Corbyn which most of the demonstrators in London were siding with. How does that equate? Demonstrate against a retrograde leader for his stance against immigration and 'human rights' , yet listen with intent and applaud someone who sympathises with terrorist organisations and who is clearly anti Semitic.

All mad.

you still haven't answered you you don't like Khan.

#unresolved

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Mr Goo wrote:
    He's done what he promised,

Mate, whatever crack you're on you need to dial it down.
  • Matthewfalle
    Mr Goo wrote:

nah - its too late for that. He's taken the Kool Aid all the way...............

#madasaboxoffrogs

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    Mr Goo wrote:

Can't you remember his campaign pledge to make the office of President of the USA a laughing stock and to get himself, his family and his entourage investigated and in some cases jailed for his actions?

Most achieving President ever and that's Fox News not fake news!
  • rick_chasey
    What promises has he delivered on?
  • john80

He has said a lot of nonsense on twitter. Was that in his campaign promise list. Sorry that is all I have got.
  • john80
    john80 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    john80 wrote:

Why are we a nuclear power?

Because in the 50's and 60's our government at the time thought it was a good idea. Following governments also thought it was a good idea. Given I clean up a lot of this mess and this costs money I don't know definitively whether it was better to create the weapons and then use that power and influence to get us to where we are today but with the costs of now decommissioning or whether we should not have bothered. I am not psychic I am afraid.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    edited June 2019
    Supreme Court appointments? Can't remember if he promised this but clearly something his supporters have cheered. Some would probably think it was worth it for that alone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Supreme Court appointments?

I didn't realise he campaigned on that.
  • Matthewfalle

racism
    sexism
    lying
    stripping the eduxation system
    destroying the future economy
    trade wars
    lining his fascist friends pockets
    being a khunt

he did campaign on those didn't he?

#promisesmadepromiseskept

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tangled_metal
    Apparently part of the wall was built. Well, existing second were repaired and that was already budgeted for by the previous administration.

Actually iirc they built 3 or 4 sections of the wall as a test to find out what competing designs worked out best. There's a desert area base down there with 4 wall sections standing like modern day standing stones, apart from anything else.

So if they count he's fulfilled an ickle, little bit of the wall.