Giro 2017: Stage 16: Rovetta – Bormio 222 km *Spoilers*

14567810»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169

I take your point, but they're cyclists, not football players.

I just think it's incredibly unsportsmanlike to take advantage of a situation like this. If your rival cracks then by all means, put the hammer down, but something beyond their control - be sportsmanlike. To be clear, if someone was to take advantage of generosity in the way you are suggesting (holding up the peloton any time it seems to suit a given rider) then I'd see that as completely unacceptable and unsportsmanlike as well.
    I'm not talking about taking advantage, just not stopping or slowing. Riders could keep riding just as they would if the afflicted rider was still there.

And I'm not sure after a couple of decades of EPO we can hold up cycling as a paragon of sportsmanship over any sport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    as per Richard Moore on last night's podcast, and Nibali's comments - they didn't really know what was up with Tom D. If he'd gone up to Nairo & Nibali and asked to be allowed off the front to then pull over and go in the field, they may have let him, or at least known what was happening. Bit of inexperience to maybe not speak to them first - they may have told him to do one, so to speak, but better than leaving it ambiguous.

He seemed a bit panicked as he pulled the jersey over his head, after removing his helmet (all adding time) rather than unzipping - unless they've given him a different jersey, today's photos suggest it's a full length zip job.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    RichN95 wrote:

And I'm not sure after a couple of decades of EPO we can hold up cycling as a paragon of sportsmanship over any sport.

This is a very fair point.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,206
    He seemed a bit panicked as he pulled the jersey over his head, after removing his helmet (all adding time) rather than unzipping - unless they've given him a different jersey, today's photos suggest it's a full length zip job.

I only ever buy full zip jerseys for this very reason. Not that I make a habit of crapping by the side of the road or anything :shock: , but if you do need to go it's hard to get a half zip top off especially if the pockets are full.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Happily for women riders, a few manufacturers do make bib shorts with "escape hatches".
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^They're a bit crap (pardon the pun) though, at least in my experience.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Agreed, they are a compromise.
    Would be good if some of the higher level manufacturers could invest more in women's kit.
  • above_the_cows
    Flite wrote:
    Agreed, they are a compromise.
    Would be good if some of the higher level manufacturers could invest more in women's kit.

Word!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,802
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Article here with interviews from most parties: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... als-332303

Quintana: “We respected Dumoulin when he had his problem, but other teams made their own race. It’s cycling. He was a gentleman with me [two days ago], we tried to respect him.”

Pozzovivo: “There was a moment of slowing but then there was the hill to climb,but yeah, there was some fair play on the part of Movistar who could’ve pulled straight away and didn’t, in a way they paid back the favour from the other day. It wouldn’t have been possible for them to wait until he returned, the race was that climb in the end, if we didn’t make the final climb hard, then there’s no show.”

Nibali: “at the start we did wait a bit but there was an important escape with Kruijswijk and we couldn’t wait much longer.”

Jungels: “This is always very hard to judge, there are race situations when you have a stage of 220km and you’re entering the last climb, it’s always hard to say wait or not to wait, especially if you have teams pulling. Sometimes that’s racing and I’m convinced that he’ll come back the next days as strong as he was before.”

And finally the man himself:
    “No, I don’t think [Movistar should’ve waited],” Dumoulin said. “The chase was on and you cannot give Kruijswijk three minutes, so it’s a difficult situation.

“I heard that Movistar waited a bit, but the race was already on, and they were chasing the break with Kruijswijk, so I can’t see them waiting and giving Kruijswijk three minutes.”

So everyone involved is in agreement yet the armchair experts continue to disagree.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    Pross wrote:
    So everyone involved is in agreement yet the armchair experts continue to disagree.
    Armchair experts know nothing. Sofa experts are the only ones worth listening to. I don't even own an armchair.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Armchair experts know nothing. Sofa experts are the only ones worth listening to. I don't even own an armchair.

I do, but only Mr Doodles the cat sits in it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    RichN95 wrote:
    Didn't Froome do this on a descent in the Tour a couple of years back to allow his domestique to get back to the group after a crash?
    Last year, I think.

Also Contador abuses it a bit to change his bike at the base of a final climb.

I was, however, thinking of a rider just faking a problem to get a little respite and/or disrupt the momentum of a rival team on the front.

I just think it's incredibly unsportsmanlike to take advantage of a situation like this. If your rival cracks then by all means, put the hammer down, but something beyond their control - be sportsmanlike. To be clear, if someone was to take advantage of generosity in the way you are suggesting (holding up the peloton any time it seems to suit a given rider) then I'd see that as completely unacceptable and unsportsmanlike as well.

If I remember rightly, it was seen at the by the British cycling media and this forum that it was cunning and great marginal gainage by Froome/Sky and isn't it brilliant how he did it and how dumb the other teams are to have fallen for it...

But Johnny Foreigner doing it - harrummmph.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    RichN95 wrote:
    Didn't Froome do this on a descent in the Tour a couple of years back to allow his domestique to get back to the group after a crash?
    Last year, I think.

Also Contador abuses it a bit to change his bike at the base of a final climb.

I was, however, thinking of a rider just faking a problem to get a little respite and/or disrupt the momentum of a rival team on the front.

If I remember rightly, it was seen at the by the British cycling media and this forum that it was cunning and great marginal gainage by Froome/Sky and isn't it brilliant how he did it and how dumb the other teams are to have fallen for it...

But Johnny Foreigner doing it - harrummmph.

What on earth are you on about?