TheBigBean Posts: 20,738
    Quintana now 31s behind in 2nd.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Vai Enzo

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    What a ride by Dumoulin to keep the jersey after the rate Nids/Quintana attacked the last few km's of the climb and then took the descent at absolute full pelt ... Hopefully just a sh!tty moment rather than illness ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Landa on front suggests a deal may have been made for the stage

Italy need a winner - non?
    It's a mystery why Landa rode most of the last 2km on the front.

A fair bit of chat.
    My bet is Nibali told him he could have the win.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Great ride by Dumoulin. He'll need impressive powers of recovery though, still a lot of tough stages to come...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Quality ride by Dumoulin all things considered.

It is good for the race though.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Craigus89 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Ex-team mates...

Nah - I think he thought if you went round the last corner in front you had it. He was wrong.

That's how I saw it, although seemed to leave a lot of room so that Nibs could come through on the shallow side ... That's what happens when a climber tries to sprint I guess ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    type:epyt wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Ex-team mates...

Nah - I think he thought if you went round the last corner in front you had it. He was wrong.

That's how I saw it, although seemed to leave a lot of room so that Nibs could come through on the shallow side ... That's what happens when a climber tries to sprint I guess ...

Landa clearly not ridden many crits- leaving that much room on the inside going into the final corner was only going to end one way.

Ballsy ride from Dumoulin to hold it together that well. Just hope that it doesn't affect him tomorrow or for the rest of the week.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    edited May 2017
    Dumoulin now has the dual problem of defending a slender lead, while having to another dump; this time on Italy's first stage win, with the post stage dust up to come.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Ballsy ride from Dumoulin to hold it together that well. Just hope that it doesn't affect him tomorrow or for the rest of the week.

Sunweb's DS needs to go round the buses doing deals with whoever he can.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Craigus89 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Ex-team mates...

He went too wide round the corner, let Nibali get his front wheel inside. Would've won it otherwise.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    good stage!

Imagine if that were valverde and not Nibali LOLOLOLO
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    It's been said before, but Nibali isn't a really exceptional descender - he just has a lot of balls. Landa got down that descent at the same speed but with far less drama.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,571
    Crampeur wrote:
    It's been said before, but Nibali isn't a really exceptional descender - he just has a lot of balls. Landa got down that descent at the same speed but with far less drama.

That's not strictly true... Nibs had to catch and pass Landa who then hung on until the final couple of kms when he went in front.

Having the balls and making it stick is what makes a good descender. That bunny hop was ridic...
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Presumably, Tom will need a dump 30kms from the finish tomorrow.
  • dish_dash
    Tom says: "I just had problems, I needed to take a dump - I couldn’t hold it anymore. It was after the Stelvio I began to feel it in the downhill. I had to stop, it was not possible to continue anymore."

It's all very well people saying that the group should have slowed up for him, but he could have stopped earlier and it would have been easier for him to get back on and for the others to ease up. Instead he waited to the foot of the climb and then burnt our Ten Dam in the first couple of kms trying to get back.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Excellent stage. Dumoulin did really well to keep the faith there.
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    dish_dash wrote:
    Tom says: "I just had problems, I needed to take a dump - I couldn’t hold it anymore. It was after the Stelvio I began to feel it in the downhill. I had to stop, it was not possible to continue anymore."

It's all very well people saying that the group should have slowed up for him, but he could have stopped earlier and it would have been easier for him to get back on and for the others to ease up. Instead he waited to the foot of the climb and then burnt our Ten Dam in the first couple of kms trying to get back.

Sometimes you just don't know if it's actually coming or not! Sensation can go away, or you can't force it....but then suddenly....
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    So, what's the verdict?

Should Bahrain/Movistar have waited?
    Were they out of order?
    Could they have been expected to wait for the race leader to have a poo at the bottom of the last climb?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Where's the line between feeling rough, but staying on your bike and dropping back vs feeling rough, dumping out what you can and riding on, having dropped back a bit? A puncture, dropped chain, crash is one thing, but being in control of your bodily functions / health sounds like something else. Doesn't sound to me that much was wrong today, and the end result seems perfectly acceptable.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I would say they should have at least waited until he got back in the group.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I would say, in view of what Tom did the other day when Quintana fell off (and the Movistar car then parking in the daftest place possible), they should have sat up. But as Brian says, some will say black, some white.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    I was surprised during the race the two Seans - Kelly and Yates - comment that the leaders should have waited. Back in the 80s teams would have attacked and buried Dumoulin.

What would people think if at the point Dumoulin had stopped he had been on the back of the group looking like he was about to be dropped and then been allowed to ride back at a moderate pace? Because if this obsession with waiting continues riders will start gaming the system.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    VINCENZO! VINCENZO! VINCENZO!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    Stopped and waited for the leader to have a dump? Sod that... particularly at the bottom of the last climb.

Who knows what condition he was going to be in afterwards, turns out not as bad as I thought but he could have blown up complete.

Easing off on a descent or even the flat with a climb still to come is much easier. Generally it suits the group to go a bit easier and the rider that has slipped back they can probably latch back on without too much effort.

At the bottom of the final climb, nope. Would have ruined the race.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    unwritten rules are a nightmare. In the future just carry on racing unless a 3rd party causes the accident.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    I don't think tom will be waiting for anyone else the next time they crash .
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Just for the fact he waited the other day for Quintana, I think they should have waited for him.

Clearly he respects the other riders enough to wait for his nearest competition, yet they clearly don't respect him back.

I hope the main rivals get a mechanical or punctures and he doesn't wait for them.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    And he shouldn't have slowed for Quintana on Sunday... I mean seriously, would you give Moviestar any favours.

Edited for day of week...
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut