Giro 2017: Stage 16: Rovetta – Bormio 222 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    This isn't the first time this has happened. In the first mountain stage of last year's Tour he had to use a motorhome for a poo on the final climb. He needs to sort his diet out or the next five years of cycling are going to be defined by riders riding slowly up mountains waiting for Dumoulin to empty his bowels.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I hope he's feeling better later in the week. Was a spirited defence and it would be good to see it go to the wire.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    edited May 2017
    RichN95 wrote:
    What would people think if at the point Dumoulin had stopped he had been on the back of the group looking like he was about to be dropped and then been allowed to ride back at a moderate pace? Because if this obsession with waiting continues riders will start gaming the system.

Is there an obsession with waiting? Just an obsession with talking about it.

Personally, I think they did all that could be expected today. Knocked it off a bit, and then raced.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Jan Hirt ccc finishes in the chasing group!! he's slowly established himself as a climber - but at that level ??!!
  • bobmcstuff
    Jan Hirt ccc finishes in the chasing group!! he's slowly established himself as a climber - but at that level ??!!

I spotted he was having a good ride earlier. Yeah he did good today...
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    RichN95 wrote:
    This isn't the first time this has happened. In the first mountain stage of last year's Tour he had to use a motorhome for a poo on the final climb. He needs to sort his diet out or the next five years of cycling are going to be defined by riders riding slowly up mountains waiting for Dumoulin to empty his bowels.

it will be a total s**t show
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    Expecting them not to attack is one thing, expecting them to actually wait is another. It sounds like the pace was kept constant for quite a while but Tom was showing any sign of getting back. They had to start racing at some point and Tom could have just taken the option to go in his shorts, he wouldn't be the first person.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Were they out of order?

Yes.
    That's why he used a field.

RichN95 wrote:

Wasn't that Arnaud Demare?

Stopping for a poo before the final climb will become de rigueur among the GC boys.
    You are kilo lighter when you most need it.
    Some might call that a marginal pain.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Were they out of order?

Yes.
    That's why he used a field.

*Ba-doom tish*

Or possibly an anagram of that
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    edited May 2017
    RichN95 wrote:

Wasn't that Arnaud Demare?

Stopping for a poo before the final climb will become de rigueur among the GC boys.
    You are kilo lighter when you most need it.
    Some might call that a marginal pain.
    A few have done it.

Further research shows that Dumoulin only needed a slash on that occasion.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mensen! I had absoluetly geen idee what had happened in this stage. Kan I just say, watching poo-gate unfold via your comments has been a pleasure.

(p.s. you cannot copy and paste a poo emoji, jammer)
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,569
    Movistar. No class.

Again.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Somewhere right now Castelli or Rapha are dreaming up an easy go bibshort.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Tom must be pleased he doesn't have white shorts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    *Ba-doom tish*

Or possibly an anagram of that
    bad moo tish
    mod oba tish
    doom ab tish
    moob da tish

No, sorry, I'm not really getting it.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Somewhere right now Castelli or Rapha are dreaming up an easy go bibshort.

Velocio already make these

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    Gweeds wrote:
    Movistar. No class.

Again.

Quintana should have let Nibali go?
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    At what point do you draw the line though, this could well have happened to him because he hasn't looked after himself properly in the build up to the race in terms of diet etc. He doesn't claim to have disentry or anything, maybe he just mismanaged his diet on the rest day so needed to take on extra gels on the first climb which messed his stomach up...

If that or something similar were the case then why not slow down and wait for someone who is blowing up on a climb because they decided to cut a couple of training rides short in favour of a coffee and pastry in the off season?

Waiting is crazy at the best of times, let alone because someone needs to take a sh1t
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    Movistar. No class.

Again.

Quintana should have let Nibali go?

They both should have let Dumoulin "go"
  • bobmcstuff
    I think the leaders did all they needed to really. Didn't attack for a little while.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,450
    If they had waited much more, the chance of the stage would have gone.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    pat1cp wrote:
    , some will say black, some white.

more like 50 shades of... brown.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    Craigus89 wrote:
    At what point do you draw the line though, this could well have happened to him because he hasn't looked after himself properly in the build up to the race in terms of diet etc. He doesn't claim to have disentry or anything, maybe he just mismanaged his diet on the rest day so needed to take on extra gels on the first climb which messed his stomach up...

If that or something similar were the case then why not slow down and wait for someone who is blowing up on a climb because they decided to cut a couple of training rides short in favour of a coffee and pastry in the off season?

Waiting is crazy at the best of times, let alone because someone needs to take a sh1t

He might not actually have done anything wrong though, could just have been massively unfortunate. With hindsight should have done it at the bottom of the Stelvio, but maybe the "sensation" had gone, and only came back when he started climbing again (different position)! Who knows. We all make mistakes too...like Quintana crashing for example! :wink:

Anyway, his latest tweets seem to have accepted it all with good grace.

https://twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status ... 4341873665
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911
    It's a right old bun fight in the CN articles comment's section.
    More entertaining than the actual stage.
    I'll take popcorn, next visit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Suggesting the race stops because the leader is having a bad day is just ridiculous.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    It's a right old bun fight in the CN articles comment's section.
    More entertaining than the actual stage.
    I'll take popcorn, next visit.
    There's some right "sh!t flinging" going on over there. :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    Ah good fun that stage.

Proper stage. Enjoyed that.

Shows you don't need an MTF.

As for the poo - well, it's hardly original, and I won't be the first to say it: sh!t happens.
  • rick_chasey
    Also - GC is well poised now.
  • rick_chasey
    Nibs is such a baller.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You gotta love a sport where the result could be determined by a guy needing a dump...

It's a good job they don't let them decide for themselves how fast they go downhill :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH