Stage 14 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

12346»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    Fact is even if Contador is in the lead and comfortably, he will attack. Its in his nature, it always has been.

That would be dumb and I'd be surprised if he attacked in any significant way.

His job here is to win the Giro expending the least energy possible. There's 9 weeks left of his race
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sounds like Porte's heart isn't in it any more, he's talking about going home and preparing for the Tour:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/portes- ... ppointment
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I'd be surprised if we don't see Contador attack on mountain top finishes you can never have too much time in hand and I can't see much down side from doing that. What he probably wont do is attack on the penultimate climb or on descents which we have seen him do when he needs to make up time.

As far as Porte goes you'd think he might want to rescue something from this race, it's not as if he's going to lead at the Tour and he's far enough down that a stage win should be possible for someone with his climbing ability.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think Contador could probably win the summit finishes at will if he wants but I imagine he will just mark Aru and Astana today. Unless he senses that Aru is struggling.

He'll obviously want to win at least one stage in this year's Giro though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,712
    RichN95 wrote:
    So Kiry gets the win. Good for him.

But as far as PTP goes it's a head slap moment. It seems so obvious after the event.

I found picking so hard with there being no out and out TT riders present so I looked at the stats of the riders I thought were in with a chance in TTs this season. Porte and Uran out performed him so I went for Porte initially then Uran when Porte crashed on Friday. Should have stuck with instinct.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It was ok for a TT that.

Couple of observations.

Still seen nothing to convince me Porte will win anything other than week long Tours. He just hasn't got it.

Kiriyenka saves Sky which is deserved as he has been pretty selfless for that team for a number of years now.

Konig is a sleeper going into the final week and whilst he won't trouble Contador, he could still get into the top 5 with the right support from Sky.

Finally I am still struggling to understand if French Fighter is winding "You lot" up or vice versa.

Either way it makes interesting reading.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Glad to see Kiri take a stage and a great ride by Contador, chapeau.

I too am starting to doubt if Richie will ever have GT success. I think this was his best chance and a series of unfortunate events has killed it off.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Glad to see Kiri take a stage and a great ride by Contador, chapeau.

I too am starting to doubt if Richie will ever have GT success. I think this was his best chance and a series of unfortunate events has killed it off.

yes great at one week races but just too much of a nearly man for the GTs.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436
    Bad luck aside, Porte hasn't picked himself up off the deck and made a fight of it. Even if it was fruitless for this year's Giro, a top 3 finish would justify a team leader's role and it sells himself. True champions fight to the last.

FWIW, for all Astana's supposed control, how many stages have they won? Aru will be a GT rider but not just yet.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Looks like things are going a bit hectic already.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Tickets being handed for the autobus. Deosn't look like a break has stuck yet, but i don't understand Italian and the camera keeps changing every 3 seconds.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    The_Boy wrote:
    Tickets being handed for the autobus. Deosn't look like a break has stuck yet, but i don't understand Italian and the camera keeps changing every 3 seconds.

I dunno, I make a spoiler thread, I give you Pantani singing for crying out loud and you still use this fetid, lived in thread.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

I dunno, I make a spoiler thread, I give you Pantani singing for crying out loud and you still use this fetid, lived in thread.

Aaaah. In my defence I never learned to count :(.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GiroStag14_Contador_hero1.jpg

GiroStag14_Millar_1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    i-b36r5KG.jpg

i-SDnTd6s.jpg

i-SJzvWS8.jpg

nb. no photo of Contador as he didn't look stylish enough.

Formolo:
    SPTDW5082.jpg

Porte:
    SPTDW5052.jpg

LLS, stylish as per usual. Leg veins as per usual.
    i-jBbzVNL.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

Found one:
    CFtcIiNVAAABKXR.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    Almost looks like Porte is now targeting an unlikely stage win and is conserving energy today.
    You think he'll still be in the race tomorrow?
    He lasted a day more than I expected but no surprise he's off
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

Found one:
    CFtcIiNVAAABKXR.jpg:large

He might have won the stage if he'd tried a bit harder :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,712
    Porte's position looks really high in that photo. Is that his normal position?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:
    I think so, I can't help but notice it every time I see him in a TT. Here he is in P-N looking virtually identical:
    Porte-Paris-Nice-2.jpg
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Pross wrote:

Don't think he can go much lower TBH, given how far forward his hips are rotated. He would start losing a lot of power.
  • frenchfighter
    17832911230_73c4b442aa_o.jpg

18015415362_5b4b98c87f_k.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest