• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited May 2015
    inseine wrote:
    Unfortunately (for the fans)

:roll:
    inseine wrote:
    That TT was a bit too long.

Would be a different story if the Porte you guys thought would turn up did.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    CbszzKd.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    inseine wrote:
    Unfortunately (for the fans) the Giro could be over. That TT was a bit too long.

Bar accidents or a bad day, the race for the GC is over...

On paper there was never a race for the GC to be honest... Contador is in a class of his own against this opposition
    left the forum March 2023
  • adr82
    inseine wrote:

inseine wrote:

Why? I don't think everyone wants to see any one rider walk away with it, no matter who they are.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    poppit wrote:
    How can a climber like Contador do so well in a TT?

He's always been very good throughout his career... how about Froome then? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • frenchfighter
    ^Because firstly there will be some excellent viewing coming up and secondly there is also something special with a rider just being on a different league.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:

inseine wrote:

Calm down. I'm not anti Contador, I just meant I think just he sealed the win with a week to go.
    and I'm not one of the 'you guys' who ever they are.
  • frenchfighter
    Commentator just said it was a superfluous performance by Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The moving ads behind Kiry makes me want to believe he is being interviewed whilst moving sideways.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Tedious, I hope he cracks in the mountains.
  • frenchfighter
    Congratulations Kiriyenka, super ride. Well done Contador, very rarely disappoints, best stage racer of the generation by miles and miles. Shame about the rain and wind as otherwise he would have taken the TT. He didn't even have the optimal setup due to widening the bars to remove the strain on his shoulders.

Sad for Uran. Porte not surprising (richie_porte 3 hours ago This is motivation today. Ready to rip in #aussiebattler .... in case you want to come up with some silly excuses of him not giving his all). Aru, pleased with his efforts despite slipping back in the last 20mins, looks like the work in the Specialized tunnel has worked. Nasty conditions, here's hoping for some sun. Great crowds and support.

Results
    1 Vasil Kiryienka (Blr) Team Sky 01:17:52
    2 Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Astana 00:12
    3 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 00:14
    4 Patrick Gretsch (Ger) AG2R La Mondiale 00:23
    5 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo 01:09
    6 Tanel Kangert (Est) Astana 01:17
    7 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Soudal 01:25
    8 Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek Factory Racing 01:26
    9 Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Team Giant-Alpecin 01:27
    10 Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 01:36

GC
    1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 55:39:00
    2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:02:28
    3 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:03:36
    4 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:04:14
    5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:04:17
    6 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:04:50
    7 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:04:55
    8 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:04:56
    9 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:04:57
    10 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:05:35

General Classification after Stage 13
    ITA 1 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA) 54:20:35
    ESP 2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF - SAXO) + 19
    ESP 3 LANDA MEANA, Mikel (ASTANA) + 1:14
    CZE 4 KREUZIGER, Roman (TINKOFF - SAXO) + 1:38
    ITA 5 CATALDO, Dario (ASTANA) + 1:49
    COL 6 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (ETIXX - QUICK STEP) + 2:02
    ITA 7 CARUSO, Damiano (BMC RACING) + 2:12
    CRC 8 AMADOR BAKKAZAKOVA, Andrey (MOVISTAR) + 2:21
    ITA 9 VISCONTI, Giovanni (MOVISTAR) + 2:40
    RUS 10 TROFIMOV, Yury (KATUSHA) + 3:15
    BEL 11 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO SOUDAL) + 3:25
    ITA 12 CUNEGO, Damiano (NIPPO - VINI FANTINI) + 3:43
    BEL 13 MONFORT, Maxime (LOTTO SOUDAL) + 3:57
    ITA 14 FORMOLO, Davide (CANNONDALE - GARMIN) + 3:59
    CZE 15 KONIG, Leopold (SKY) + 4:24
    FRA 16 GENIEZ, Alexandre (FDJ) + 4:46
    AUS 17 PORTE, Richie (SKY) + 5:05
    FRA 18 MOINARD, Amaël (BMC RACING) + 5:24
    COL 19 ATAPUMA HURTADO, Darwin (BMC RACING) + 6:28
    CAN 20 HESJEDAL, Ryder (CANNONDALE - GARMIN) + 6:40
    Macaloon wrote:
    3164004.png

No one chose Kiriyenka? Insane given his TT ability.

Flecha saying what I have said numerous times. Alberto was good as a TT rider even as an amateur.

Stage 15:
    profile-15.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice work Amador from the proud cycling hotbed of Costa Rica. Would be lovely if he gets a podium
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Contador is a phenomenal talent . Put him in that sort of tt and that will happen . Champions performance

Glad Jurgen VDB is going strong and Kruijswijk is having a great Giro - easy to forget how much a CG rider he is - not sure where he lost his early time ??
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Contador is a phenomenal talent . Put him in that sort of tt and that will happen . Champions performance

Glad Jurgen VDB is going strong and Kruijswijk is having a great Giro - easy to forget how much a CG rider he is - not sure where he lost his early time ??

Got to agree about Contador. His consistency as a GC rider is incredible. Fantastic all rounder.

Good to see JVDB up there; he's always very stealthy in grand tours but has some decent results nonetheless.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2015
    Both lost around 90s to GC favs on the stage up to Abetone - S5.

Ideal for Contador if he truly has the double in mind. No need to go all out & take big risks in the last week unless Astana pull out something spectacular.
  • frenchfighter
    7 Astana riders in the top 30.

@olegtinkov · 6m 6 minutes ago
    Good day, Alberto is in pink, and Vasily won TT.
    I remember how I offered him 1st pro-contract in 2006, happy for him
    CFs7mjHUIAEX7rE.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    CFs8VrZWEAAJVUk.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great time trial from Kiry. He really is a beast when he's on form. Superb from Contador, he's a level above the rest of this field and the battle for the maglia rosa is over now.

Aru is a great talent and a good climber but you have to say that yet again he's been let down by his TT ability.

Be interesting to see what Sky do now. Will they work for Konig to see if they can get a top 5 or will they just look for stage wins?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    7 Astana riders in the top 30.

@olegtinkov · 6m 6 minutes ago
    Good day, Alberto is in pink, and Vasily won TT.
    I remember how I offered him 1st pro-contract in 2006, happy for him
    CFs7mjHUIAEX7rE.jpg:large

Looking increasingly like a Bond villain every day.

Great ride by Contador. Nice win for Kiry.
    Strange one for Porte. Given up mentally (regardless of bullish tweets) or given up physically? Wonder if he'll tactically lose more time to go for stage wins, or help Konig to get time over some of those in the top 10 to try to get him close to the podium.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    Whilst Contador is the very clear favourite and I expect him to win, I don't think it is all over. This Giro has shown that a lot can happen.

The biggest problem for Aru is not that he lost a couple of mins today (obviously not ideal), but that he looked a lot weaker on the recent climbs.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    inseine wrote:
    Unfortunately (for the fans) the Giro could be over. That TT was a bit too long.

On paper there was never a race for the GC to be honest... Contador is in a class of his own against this opposition

Always worth finishing second in a GT to Contador. You never know if you might get an upgrade :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    smithy21 wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Always worth finishing second in a GT to Contador. You never know if you might get an upgrade :wink:

I'm usually naïve enough to think everyone is clean nowadays, but given the rumours 3rd might be good enough.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    hammerite wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I'm usually naïve enough to think everyone is clean nowadays, but given the rumours 3rd might be good enough.

Nah, given recent history, blame it on dodgy meat and get a short ban, backdated, including mostly the off-season and there you go.
  • adr82
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Whilst Contador is the very clear favourite and I expect him to win, I don't think it is all over. This Giro has shown that a lot can happen.

The biggest problem for Aru is not that he lost a couple of mins today (obviously not ideal), but that he looked a lot weaker on the recent climbs.
    It would be good if Aru is able to at least make Contador work for his lead in the mountains. Astana still have Cataldo and Landa a couple of minutes further back too, maybe they'll be able to get some use out of them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    So Kiry gets the win. Good for him.

But as far as PTP goes it's a head slap moment. It seems so obvious after the event.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    I went off Contador a bit after the whole clenbuterol saga, but, the way he came back to win the vuelta and, if he does win this Giro, I think I would like to see him go on to win the tour. What an achievement that would be.
  • frenchfighter
    Fact is even if Contador is in the lead and comfortably, he will attack. Its in his nature, it always has been. Having watched him for years Im not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... erformance
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov- ... cant-do-it
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    He might but if he's planning the Giro/Tour double then I would have thought riding wheels is the smarter play. He might want another stage just to ensure Aru is put away but everyone else is gone.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,323
    What did I say after stage 8?!
    RichN95 wrote:
    Porte's not intending to drop him. He's intending to thump him in the time trial.

I know he won the TT at paris Nice, but the TT looming is 59.4km. Aru and Porte will come up short - you can quote me on that if you like.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Fact is even if Contador is in the lead and comfortably, he will attack. Its in his nature, it always has been. Having watched him for years Im not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... erformance
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov- ... cant-do-it

Remember 2010 ( think that is the year it was taken off him) he went for the Giro Tour double then and still attacked to show how strong he was.

Would like to see Aru attack and make a race of it