2014 Worlds

1789101113»

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    ddraver wrote:
    "cos that's what the Pro's use"

The reality is that 99% of bikes bought in shops should come with a compact or less and a sticker saying "No you don't use the 53x11, you re a fat dentist who'd pussy out WAY before you'd ever needed a 53x11"

I dunno, there are times when a 53x11 would be nice, then again there are times when a 34x30 is nice too.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Also the slightly bigger rear gear puts each link through a slightly more open angle, reducing some of the inefficiencies there. It does raise the question why bog-standard off-the-shelf bikes are usually 50 (compact) - 53 tooth with a 25-27 max at the rear, rather than a huge front chainring and massive mountain-bike rear. Weight? Glamour? Tradition?

Difficult to get good shifting on the rear mech if it has to span very large sprockets with a lot of chain.

Fwiw I ride a standard (39, 53) chainring with 2012 ultegra and I bought a 12-30 sprocket for the back for Flanders - if I cross chain 12-39 the chain falls off, or 53x30 doesn't fit, even with extra chain.

Did you have a standard short cage mech? if so that would be why......mtbs have longer cages to cope with the larger cassettes. I have recently got a new training bike that came with a compact and I hate it so have replaced it with 53 39, I use a 25-12 cassette.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,922
    Is Millar in the team? Saw he was in the squad on his twitter. Also no congrats to Wiggo on his twitter?

Edit... just looked on BC. Yes, and he's captain. Nice way to end even if they don't manage much.

Yes he's on the team.

And why is it obligatory to make all congrats public on twitter?
  • Did anyone else find the Mens RR a complete bore!!!

14 laps of nothing then a big sprint...wow...all credit to the winner ( can't spell his name!!) but all being equal if he was fit enough to get to the bunch sprint he was in with a shout....and got the drop....so well done...but MASSIVE boredom factor for me personally.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    Did anyone else find the Mens RR a complete bore!!!
    No. But then I spent the first 12 laps watching Pointless Celebrities, Doctor Who and the Golf.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    No. But then I spent the first 12 laps watching Pointless Celebrities, Doctor Who and the Golf.

Lol, I even watched the golf! Not WBA-Burnley though, the cycling wasn't THAT boring
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,922

14 laps of nothing then a big sprint...wow...all credit to the winner ( can't spell his name!!) but all being equal if he was fit enough to get to the bunch sprint he was in with a shout....and got the drop....so well done...but MASSIVE boredom factor for me personally.

Welcome to the worlds.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    RichN95 wrote:

Lol, I even watched the golf! Not WBA-Burnley though, the cycling wasn't THAT boring

Watched the whole thing, always do if I can, sober this year which made a change. Apart from Sallanches in 1980, Villach in 1987 and Chambery in 1989, I struggle to think of a really "exciting" race, but watching it unfold, form and reform is always fascinating, as is trying to work out who is really going well and who isn't. There's something about the distance and the tension and the fact that it's raced by national teams (plus the other alegencies that are there in the background) that makes for a uniquly captivating experience. Better on TV, when watched live its almost impossible to tell what's going on (especially if you spend the day drinking)