So, what cars do we all drive?

Comments

• marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I don't wear a watch either. The one I had fell off and got lost several months ago and I see no need to replace it - I check the time on my phone. I gave up on handbags a couple of years ago too. They both just seem a waste of money to me - if I had any spare cash I would buy a tandem, then a carbon framed road bike, then a steel framed touring bike, then.... well I'm sure I could think of other worthwhile bike purchases :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    Damn thats nice, I feel like doing out and buying a new watch, I guess its like women and shoes.

What? You buy women? :lol:

As regards the XJ, VTech, I would be happy to be able to afford any of 'em. :cry:
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Dope rides, blingy watches, super bikes... This thread is one helicopter away from a P-Diddy music video.
    tick - tick - tick
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    goonz wrote:

Did you really think you were going to receive any other treatment for your blatant willy waving? :wink:

It would be more accurate to say I did not think at all! I deserve all the stick I got for my post, and if I had not been the OP, I would have reacted just the same as everyone else has :D
    De Sisti wrote:
    Ok OP, what watch do you wear? Is it a cheap Timex or Casio, or a Patek Philippe Calatrave,
    Hublot Masterpiece MP05 Laferrairi, Parmiginai Bugatti, or Harry Winston Premier Feathers?

Ha! It's a £100 Swiss Military watch, nice and plain, brown leather strap thingy. I'm not into watches. I guess I'm damned though, whatever I say :D:D:D
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    jouxplan wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Did you really think you were going to receive any other treatment for your blatant willy waving? :wink:

It would be more accurate to say I did not think at all! I deserve all the stick I got for my post, and if I had not been the OP, I would have reacted just the same as everyone else has :D
    De Sisti wrote:
    Ok OP, what watch do you wear? Is it a cheap Timex or Casio, or a Patek Philippe Calatrave,
    Hublot Masterpiece MP05 Laferrairi, Parmiginai Bugatti, or Harry Winston Premier Feathers?

Ha! It's a £100 Swiss Military watch, nice and plain, brown leather strap thingy. I'm not into watches. I guess I'm damned though, whatever I say :D:D:D

You spent How much on a watch?

I've got a £35 Sekonda. Sold to me because of the effective advertising campaign featuring Ronnie Barker...
  • Couldn't give a toss about watches or cars, or anything of that sort. Anything favoured by premiership footballers is to be avoided, IMHO. I do favour a handmade suit and nice shirts (minus a stupidly fat tie knot) but it's not dealbreaker if I don't have them in my life. Happiest mooching in my jeans and desert wellies

Nice house though, that's important to me. I don't mean big - it could be a small flat, maisonnette, whatever. But I'd rather spend my money on my house. A beautiful picture or sculpture in just the right place would give me more pleasure on a day to day basis than a car or watch.

Got a mate, serves in the SBS. One of the guys serving in their reserve squadron is a surgeon. He's 40 years old. No car, no house (rents a shithole) and has not a penny to his name. The reason for that? He spends six months a year living in Africa operating on kids with club feet, and giving them a new life.And he pays for all their treatment.

I don't think he sees a big watch as a mark of anything, really. But as has been said, it's very much each to their own.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I drive one of these, but my other car is a who mobile.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Cars as status symbols, it's really just cars for insecure people isn't it? Desperate to tell the neighbours how successful they are, all that crap. It's at its height with the VAG group, here's a company that have a pecking order based entirely on the perceived value of a badge on the bonnet.

Anyway, if it's all about extending your success/personality/wealth/intelligence outwards with watches, flash cars etc, you'd be be better off just paying some attention to spelling and grammar on a public forum rather than telling everybody about your wealth.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ah - I'll have to reply now ... :)

My current vehicle is an SUV - Vaux Antara (wot?! never heard of it .. no nor had I) ... yup soft 4x4 ... why? Because it's got loads of space inside and the 4 wheel drive capability is (occasionally) helpful - like in all the snow/ice earlier this year ... or going up hill on a muddy track ... but that's about it ... oh .. no it's not ... it's a blummin useful roadblock when some to$$er tries to bully ... yup - that's about it. I see the car as a tool for my needs ... I don't need to shout out how much money I may or may not have so the car for me will be functional ...

I'll probably drive more miles than ride my bike ... but not by much... so I don't really care about the car "status" thing .. I don't really care about the bike "status" thing either - but I have got a nicer ride now ... the watch is just a cheapo watch - by many ppl standards - but it's very nice watch - a more expensive one would be a waste on me!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    dodgy wrote:
    Cars as status symbols, it's really just cars for insecure people isn't it? Desperate to tell the neighbours how successful they are, all that crap. It's at its height with the VAG group, here's a company that have a pecking order based entirely on the perceived value of a badge on the bonnet.

Anyway, if it's all about extending your success/personality/wealth/intelligence outwards with watches, flash cars etc, you'd be be better off just paying some attention to spelling and grammar on a public forum rather than telling everybody about your wealth.

That could be said of everything in life.

Shopping at M&S instead of Aldi
    Nice house
    Nice clothes
    Kids attending after school clubs
    Watches
    Personal goods
    Cars
    etc etc etc etc etc

Wanting nice things isnt a willy waving thing, it makes some people happy, same as the doctor talked about above who works in Africa at his own cost.

I would happily spend a fair amount on a nice watch or house or car as that is something I like, others here would spend thousands on bike upgrades that some would call ludicrous.

If you earn it, spend it, the sin is dying with vast sums in the bank having never enjoyed it. Ive been broke, ive had enough to pay the bills and ill probably cycle the both before I dye so whilst ive got it ill have exactly what I want, and when things are tight I will not spend and I would suggest that be the way most people should live, were here once only. Enjoy it.
    Living MY dream.
  • jasgill
    jasgill Posts: 18
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Nice house
    Nice clothes
    Watches
    Personal goods
    Cars
    etc etc etc etc etc

Wanting nice things isnt a willy waving thing, it makes some people happy, same as the doctor talked about above who works in Africa at his own cost.

I would happily spend a fair amount on a nice watch or house or car as that is something I like, others here would spend thousands on bike upgrades that some would call ludicrous.

If you earn it, spend it, the sin is dying with vast sums in the bank having never enjoyed it. Ive been broke, ive had enough to pay the bills and ill probably cycle the both before I dye so whilst ive got it ill have exactly what I want, and when things are tight I will not spend and I would suggest that be the way most people should live, were here once only. Enjoy it.

Agreed, only 1 life, live it how you want and don't give a sh*t about what others think. If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy it! That's my motto.
  • dodgy
    jasgill wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Nice house
    Nice clothes
    Watches
    Personal goods
    Cars
    etc etc etc etc etc

Agreed, only 1 life, live it how you want and don't give a sh*t about what others think. If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy it! That's my motto.

Totally agree.
  • neeb
    The difference is between wanting something because you like or admire it in some way (fair enough), wanting something because you want other people to admire it as some reflection of your personality or taste (possibly fair enough, although if it actually reflects badly on your taste be prepared to take the flak), and finally, wanting something purely because it is flash and/or expensive and/or fashionable and you want to show off. The latter will rarely have the desired effect, except amongst other similarly shallow & insecure folk.

Another thing to bear in mind is that while you only have one life and you should make the most of it (including spending money if you have it), consumerism can easily become a trap you fall into that ends up distracting you from doing more valuable things that you'd actually also enjoy far more as well.
  • VTech
    neeb wrote:
    The difference is between wanting something because you like or admire it in some way (fair enough), wanting something because you want other people to admire it as some reflection of your personality or taste (possibly fair enough, although if it actually reflects badly on your taste be prepared to take the flak), and finally, wanting something purely because it is flash and/or expensive and/or fashionable and you want to show off. The latter will rarely have the desired effect, except amongst other similarly shallow & insecure folk.

Another thing to bear in mind is that while you only have one life and you should make the most of it (including spending money if you have it), consumerism can easily become a trap you fall into that ends up distracting you from doing more valuable things that you'd actually also enjoy far more as well.

You have a good point but im not too sure there are many people who buy to make others happy, I would feel sorry for these people, not upset by them.
    I buy things because I like them, more often than not on a whim which I later regret.
    I like looking at cars so to have them in a garage to look at is pleasing, others would say its a waste and they are almost certainly right but many people live like this, keeping possessions to themselves for no apparent reason but self gratification, coin and stamp collectors to name but two.
    Living MY dream.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Fiat 500

does that make me a girl? In my defence it is pretty cheap!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • VTech
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Fiat 500

One of the nicest looking cars on the road.
    Living MY dream.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    VTech wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Fiat 500

One of the nicest looking cars on the road.

I agree, pity it is Italian.

Saw an original Fiat 500 in Italy a couple of weeks ago. Immaculate condition and marked as the Arbarth version. Compared to the current 500 the original is tiny.
  • neeb
    VTech wrote:
    You have a good point but im not too sure there are many people who buy to make others happy, I would feel sorry for these people, not upset by them.
    There are definitely plenty of people who buy things because the main thing they like about them is that other people know they are expensive and seen as "high status". They simply like demonstrating to other people that they can afford these things in the first place, because their idea of their own self-worth mainly revolves around their financial status.

P.S. buying things to make others happy is called present-giving, and is not really something to be pitied.. Sorry, couldn't resist.. :wink:
  • dodgy
    neeb wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    There are definitely plenty of people who buy things because the main thing they like about them is that other people know they are expensive and seen as "high status". They simply like demonstrating to other people that they can afford these things in the first place, because their idea of their own self-worth mainly revolves around their financial status.

+1
    Pretty much what I was driving at. There's plenty of people who buy VW or Audi instead of the equally reliable Skoda or even Seat, but are scared to death what their neighbours will think "oh my god, he mustn't be rich!".

That's obviously not the case if you're hankering after something seriously fast like an RS6, Seat don't make anything like it.
  • VTech
    I have found that in fact owning a quick car is massively cheaper than buying an average car and watching its value depreciate so quickly.
    One of my first nice cars was a nearly new 996 Turbo cabriolet, I had it for a year and lost a few hundred quid.
    Had a nearly new BMW X5 and in 1 year lost £15,000.00 !

Ive had a few quick cars now and never lost anything like the amount I did on the X5. Its actually far cheaper owning such a car ive found.
    Living MY dream.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Ford Tippex.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    big p wrote:
    A thing of beauty is sometimes worth the money, and after all, it's whats inside that counts.

omega-co-axial-watch-movement-calibre-2500-06.jpg

Indeed. And that looks not so different to mine!

Conniemech1.jpg

I love cars but can't think of any rational reason to spend more than about £3k on one unless it really is a minimal depreciation purchase.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    To me, the most expensive kind of watch is the one that isn't there. That's the bloke who has the freedom in his life to not have to be checking the time every five minutes.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ok. I can accept that people will pay, what to my mind, are extortionate prices for, say, a watch. (But in the back of my mind a voice is screaming,'FFS, it's only a watch! :lol: ) They buy them because they think them beautiful, fair enough.
    But how many people buy such things BECAUSE they are expensive and exclusive. The guy on here who fell for Ronnie Barker's patter, his watch could be attractive and elegant, but not desired by some because 'It's a Sekonda'
    Not saying this applies to anyone here. :lol:
    You see people wear clothes because they were designed by so and so and are reassuringly expensive. People treading the red carpets around the world wear Dior, Versace, Westwood (FFS) and others, costing thousands and manage to look a bag of sh1t. They would look better if they shopped at Matalan. But no, it can't be an ugly dress because it was made by a NAME.
    As I say. people can and should spend their money on what they want. If they see something they like, then go for it, I can full understand that. But I can't understand buying a 'label' for the sake of it. Not only do some people have more money than sense, they seem to have more money than taste.

Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.
  • VTech
    To me, the most valuable kind of watch is the one that isn't there. That's the bloke who has the freedom in his life to not have to be checking the time every five minutes.

Fixed.
    Living MY dream.
  • neeb
    Mechanical watches are actually amazing and beautiful things, but you can get a top quality 40 year old vintage Seiko automatic for a fraction of the cost of a "prestige" watch and get it serviced by a watchmaker (for about the cost of the watch itself). You will then have something that is probably just as accurate as a really expensive modern mechanical watch and far more unique and interesting (Seiko made a great variety of different in-house movements), with the added advantage that no-one will bother stealing it if you are mugged or think you are trying to show off by wearing it. But most people who are "into watches" probably couldn't explain to you the basics of how a mechanical watch works, never mind the particular unique intricacies of the movement in the one they are wearing.
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ok. I can accept that people will pay, what to my mind, are extortionate prices for, say, a watch. (But in the back of my mind a voice is screaming,'FFS, it's only a watch! :lol: ) They buy them because they think them beautiful, fair enough.
    But how many people buy such things BECAUSE they are expensive and exclusive. The guy on here who fell for Ronnie Barker's patter, his watch could be attractive and elegant, but not desired by some because 'It's a Sekonda'
    Not saying this applies to anyone here. :lol:
    You see people wear clothes because they were designed by so and so and are reassuringly expensive. People treading the red carpets around the world wear Dior, Versace, Westwood (FFS) and others, costing thousands and manage to look a bag of sh1t. They would look better if they shopped at Matalan. But no, it can't be an ugly dress because it was made by a NAME.
    As I say. people can and should spend their money on what they want. If they see something they like, then go for it, I can full understand that. But I can't understand buying a 'label' for the sake of it. Not only do some people have more money than sense, they seem to have more money than taste.

Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.

It doesnt have to be expensive, there is nothing wrong with having a nice watch, its a great thing. I have purchased a watch for my sons 18th and cant wait to give it to him. Value doesnt have to mean ££££££ like many on here seem to believe.
    Living MY dream.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    image_zps97eaa849.jpgIf were talking watches i have two. I bought an omega seamaster 12 years ago and been a great watch to own. Still have it for daily use but have recently bought a u boat watch. Not everyones cup of tea but i like it. Same as a submarine dial if anyone dont get it.
  • Interesting thread - some posters seem to have really strong opinions that many car purchases are mainly for showing off, not the enjoyment of said car.
    Our cars (wife and i) were bought specifically because i like driving mine, every day i get in it it reminds me why i work the hours i do, and she loves the roof coming off hers. I'm guessing the judgemental posters would think that the bonus of a convertable is that you can be seen. In reality, it's quite the opposite - you get to see loads with no roof. Since we're in the peaks a lot, being able to see up is really useful :)
    Anyways, despite the fact that some posters will clearly think "dick", bikeradar can add an RS4 and a Boxster to the list.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    To further the point vetch was trying to make; my favourite watch, which is very elegant, cost me about 60 euros a few years ago. I had a buddy who visited me from Austria who kept telling me to wear trackers and a sweatshirt into town, which I reserve for gardening and lounging. I put my normal clothes on (suit and shirt) because that is what I feel comfortable in. He then proceeded to tell me I only wear suits so everyone thinks "he's rich". I politely laughed at him and told him to find a hotel after other incidents happened that day. Some people just don't realise people wear what they like and feel comfortable in, and just because it is a suit does not mean I am trying to show off to the world.