So, what cars do we all drive?

123468

Comments

  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Citroen C1 - bottom of the range one. I can pick the kids up in it and park in town when I need to. It is red though, so must be the quick version 8)

    As for watches, I have never worn one in my life (40 years old), always managed without one. Do have a mobile phone with the time on it though.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Interesting thread - some posters seem to have really strong opinions that many car purchases are mainly for showing off, not the enjoyment of said car.
    Our cars (wife and i) were bought specifically because i like driving mine, every day i get in it it reminds me why i work the hours i do, and she loves the roof coming off hers. I'm guessing the judgemental posters would think that the bonus of a convertable is that you can be seen. In reality, it's quite the opposite - you get to see loads with no roof. Since we're in the peaks a lot, being able to see up is really useful :)
    Anyways, despite the fact that some posters will clearly think "dick", bikeradar can add an RS4 and a Boxster to the list.

    Dick! :lol::lol::lol:
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    image_zps97eaa849.jpgIf were talking watches i have two. I bought an omega seamaster 12 years ago and been a great watch to own. Still have it for daily use but have recently bought a u boat watch. Not everyones cup of tea but i like it. Same as a submarine dial if anyone dont get it.

    Is this watch designed for left handed people?
    I have a BMW 320D Touring, diesel is much cheaper in NZ than petrol even accounting for the extra "Road Tax"
    and I can get my bike in the back without taking off any wheels.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Subaru Impreza Estate turbo... currently off the road because it costs too much to run. :lol:
    Fun car to drive, love the sound and it fits the camping stuff in the back and the bikes on the top.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    neeb wrote:
    The difference is between wanting something because you like or admire it in some way (fair enough), wanting something because you want other people to admire it as some reflection of your personality or taste (possibly fair enough, although if it actually reflects badly on your taste be prepared to take the flak), and finally, wanting something purely because it is flash and/or expensive and/or fashionable and you want to show off. The latter will rarely have the desired effect, except amongst other similarly shallow & insecure folk.

    Another thing to bear in mind is that while you only have one life and you should make the most of it (including spending money if you have it), consumerism can easily become a trap you fall into that ends up distracting you from doing more valuable things that you'd actually also enjoy far more as well.

    +1

    Could not agree more
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    jouxplan wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    The difference is between wanting something because you like or admire it in some way (fair enough), wanting something because you want other people to admire it as some reflection of your personality or taste (possibly fair enough, although if it actually reflects badly on your taste be prepared to take the flak), and finally, wanting something purely because it is flash and/or expensive and/or fashionable and you want to show off. The latter will rarely have the desired effect, except amongst other similarly shallow & insecure folk.

    Another thing to bear in mind is that while you only have one life and you should make the most of it (including spending money if you have it), consumerism can easily become a trap you fall into that ends up distracting you from doing more valuable things that you'd actually also enjoy far more as well.

    +1

    Could not agree more

    +2. Post of the day award?!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    neeb wrote:
    Mechanical watches are actually amazing and beautiful things, but you can get a top quality 40 year old vintage Seiko automatic for a fraction of the cost of a "prestige" watch and get it serviced by a watchmaker (for about the cost of the watch itself). You will then have something that is probably just as accurate as a really expensive modern mechanical watch and far more unique and interesting (Seiko made a great variety of different in-house movements), with the added advantage that no-one will bother stealing it if you are mugged or think you are trying to show off by wearing it. But most people who are "into watches" probably couldn't explain to you the basics of how a mechanical watch works, never mind the particular unique intricacies of the movement in the one they are wearing.

    One of my student jobs back in the seventies was working in a department store in Birmingham. With my staff discount I bought myself a Seiko mechanical self winding stainless watch. Really a lovely thing and much more accurate than the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust that my father wore (which is now upstairs in my sock drawer). I loved that Seiko, but sadly I have absolutely no idea where it went. Lost. :(
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    PS And for the record the current household fleet consists of:

    SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport 1.9TDi Sport Wagon
    VW Golf 1.6 SE 5door Hatch
    Citroen 2CV
  • VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ok. I can accept that people will pay, what to my mind, are extortionate prices for, say, a watch. (But in the back of my mind a voice is screaming,'FFS, it's only a watch! :lol: ) They buy them because they think them beautiful, fair enough.
    But how many people buy such things BECAUSE they are expensive and exclusive. The guy on here who fell for Ronnie Barker's patter, his watch could be attractive and elegant, but not desired by some because 'It's a Sekonda'
    Not saying this applies to anyone here. :lol:
    You see people wear clothes because they were designed by so and so and are reassuringly expensive. People treading the red carpets around the world wear Dior, Versace, Westwood (FFS) and others, costing thousands and manage to look a bag of sh1t. They would look better if they shopped at Matalan. But no, it can't be an ugly dress because it was made by a NAME.
    As I say. people can and should spend their money on what they want. If they see something they like, then go for it, I can full understand that. But I can't understand buying a 'label' for the sake of it. Not only do some people have more money than sense, they seem to have more money than taste.

    Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

    Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.

    I have purchased a watch for my sons 18th and cant wait to give it to him. Value doesnt have to mean ££££££ like many on here seem to believe.

    Really? So I presume you'll be telling us that you've bought him a cheap Casio, (albeit one that is invested with a lot of love, from father to son)?

    Or have you in fact bought him a Rolex/Panerai/Tag/Omega/blah blah fishcakes worth thousands?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ok. I can accept that people will pay, what to my mind, are extortionate prices for, say, a watch. (But in the back of my mind a voice is screaming,'FFS, it's only a watch! :lol: ) They buy them because they think them beautiful, fair enough.
    But how many people buy such things BECAUSE they are expensive and exclusive. The guy on here who fell for Ronnie Barker's patter, his watch could be attractive and elegant, but not desired by some because 'It's a Sekonda'
    Not saying this applies to anyone here. :lol:
    You see people wear clothes because they were designed by so and so and are reassuringly expensive. People treading the red carpets around the world wear Dior, Versace, Westwood (FFS) and others, costing thousands and manage to look a bag of sh1t. They would look better if they shopped at Matalan. But no, it can't be an ugly dress because it was made by a NAME.
    As I say. people can and should spend their money on what they want. If they see something they like, then go for it, I can full understand that. But I can't understand buying a 'label' for the sake of it. Not only do some people have more money than sense, they seem to have more money than taste.

    Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

    Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.

    I have purchased a watch for my sons 18th and cant wait to give it to him. Value doesnt have to mean ££££££ like many on here seem to believe.

    Really? So I presume you'll be telling us that you've bought him a cheap Casio, (albeit one that is invested with a lot of love, from father to son)?

    Or have you in fact bought him a Rolex/Panerai/Tag/Omega/blah blah fishcakes worth thousands?

    Why the animosity ?
    Does it matter to you that much ? I am not alone here in thinking that having a nice watch is a great thing.
    If it does indeed matter then ive bought him a Gucci self winder that I purchased many years back as it looked stunning, he can wear it when he goes out (its not really an everyday watch, more of a dress watch) and when im long dead he can think happily that this was a gift from his father on his 18th.
    Living MY dream.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I got a nice watch for my 18th, it's still going strong 20 years on and I love it. It still brings me happy memories when I wear it. Ironically, it cost nowhere near as much as my Rolex that I wear every day.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    VTech wrote:
    ....he can wear it when he goes out (its not really an everyday watch, more of a dress watch) and when im long dead he can think happily that this was a gift from his father on his 18th.

    Trying to influence him from beyond the grave? Shame on you.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    marylogic wrote:
    I don't wear a watch either. The one I had fell off and got lost several months ago and I see no need to replace it - I check the time on my phone. I gave up on handbags a couple of years ago too. They both just seem a waste of money to me - if I had any spare cash I would buy a tandem, then a carbon framed road bike, then a steel framed touring bike, then.... well I'm sure I could think of other worthwhile bike purchases :)

    I have switched my thinking to very similar to yours. I was big into watches and really wanted to buy the best my money could afford. Did the cars and the hot hatches but since I have fallen in love with cycling, my money will now be spent on bikes, bikes and more bikes. On the list is a folded Brompton, my fully customized carbon and eventually a ti bike.

    If I have any money left after that then I may get a watch.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,128
    I drive an Alfa Giulietta these days but have previously had the cyclists nemesis of both a BMW (3 series compact) and Audi A4. They are all just company cars and would never have been able to own any myself. They have been OK, not great drives as all have been diesels. I love the exterior styling of the Alfa but it has some typical Italian quirks such as a dashboard display that reflects the sunlight so much you can't read the dials. The most enjoyable company car I had was a Mini Cooper. I actually own a 2002 Frontera but that's just used as a towing vehicle and when I need to move big loads about as it just costs too much to run and is horrible to drive! One day I will have an Aston though, the only make of car I truly desire.

    As for watches, I have three decent but not expensive (£100 - £200) watches. One in particular is worth a lot to me as it was my wedding present off my wife and the other two have also been presents from her. I can appreciate a beautiful piece of precision engineering so really like some expensive watches but many these days are just oversized, vulgar lumps of chaviness.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    While many are terrible it is not the norm.

    I'm currently dreaming over this. http://www.rado.com/en/watches/integral ... 3.215.html

    Those are the types of things I prefer, elegance over flashiness and standing out.
  • VTech wrote:

    Why the animosity ?
    Does it matter to you that much ? I am not alone here in thinking that having a nice watch is a great thing.
    If it does indeed matter then ive bought him a Gucci self winder that I purchased many years back as it looked stunning, he can wear it when he goes out (its not really an everyday watch, more of a dress watch) and when im long dead he can think happily that this was a gift from his father on his 18th.


    Apologies, no animosity intended. I was just trying to work out where you were coming from.

    I was given a Breitling when I was 15 (long time ago). It was ridiculous. I had to give it back in the end because a) I ended up as an impoverished student who couldn't afford to eat but who was walking around with a (then) £3000 watch on my wrist and b) when it eventually stopped I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Lunacy.

    I have to say, I'm still not sure about expensive watches. Too often they just look daft. Some look great, but not many.

    And I have to admit that although I'd never spend much on a car, if someone gave me either a Lamborghini Miura or a Ferrari P330 then I'd certainly want to sit there just staring at them for a long old time but I simply couldn't imagine doing that with a modern car of any sort. They inspire no emotion in me whatsoever.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Who on earth gives a 15 yr old a £3k Breitling?

    Im clearly mixing in the wrong crowds!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    A £3k Breitling maybe a little over the top, but it was his fathers choice and who are we to argue ?
    I didnt spend that much on my sons watch but as long as he likes it and treasures it, it will be well worth it to me.

    Nice watches dont need to cost a lot, they are precision instruments so they are going to cost more than cheaply made items but they are a thing of beauty and if you can keep such an item throughout a lifetime, what a gift that is.
    Living MY dream.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I used to wear watches, not especially flashy ones. Then when my last one stopped i just never replaced it as i just started looking at my phone for the time. That was over 10 years ago.

    I do sometimes think it'd be nice to have one again, if only for the funky smell under the strap.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'll probably end up buying a smart watch if a tech company comes out with something useful. Like Peat, my watch broke years ago (strap snapped), expensive to get it fixed and now I rely on my phone or just on intuition to know the time.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Have a look at an Atmos Clock, if that doesn't change your minds about time pieces nothing will.
    Living MY dream.
  • Car... rather battered old Astra. I don't drive an awful lot, and having ridden motorbikes for years I find cars pretty dull, so something cheap that I don't feel the need to look after cosmetically, can park wherever I want without worrying about it, is devoid of dubious gimmicks, and is dirt cheap to keep mechanically sound and on the road just suits me fine. When it keels over it'll be replaced by something similarly utilitarian.

    I haven't worn or owned a watch for 15 years, and fully expect to never do so again.
    Mangeur
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    VTech wrote:
    Have a look at an Atmos Clock, if that doesn't change your minds about time pieces nothing will.

    Hideous.
    g6d022287.jpg
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Have a look at an Atmos Clock, if that doesn't change your minds about time pieces nothing will.

    Hideous.
    g6d022287.jpg

    You picked the worst looking but the atmos clock is a work of art, it Is the closest humans have come to perpetual motion.

    Jaeger-Le-Coultre-Atmos-Clock-566-6.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I would definitely have your Atmos clock there Vtech, that would look great on my desk! How much do they cost?
  • Jaeger-Le-Coultre-Atmos-Clock-566-6.jpg
    Am I loosing the plot here, or is that a Cute Lil' Robot Bunny in the face?
    Mangeur
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im not sure of the cost but around £10,000 I would think.
    Living MY dream.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    It would appear we are polarising into the philistines/utilitarian camp and the connoisseur/more money than sense camp :wink:

    I am a happy utilitarian and I am also happy for the connoisseurs to spend their cash on what they like.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    marylogic wrote:
    It would appear we are polarising into the philistines/utilitarian camp and the connoisseur/more money than sense camp :wink:

    I am a happy utilitarian and I am also happy for the connoisseurs to spend their cash on what they like.

    This is rapidly becoming the BikeRadar version of Godwins Law :lol:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

    Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.

    It doesnt have to be expensive, there is nothing wrong with having a nice watch, its a great thing. I have purchased a watch for my sons 18th and cant wait to give it to him. Value doesnt have to mean ££££££ like many on here seem to believe.

    You are correct, a nice watch doesn't have to be expensive. But how can you possibly glean anything about a person's character by looking at their watch, unless you are the Amazing Kreskin? I stand by my earlier comment. Worraloadabollox.