Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ballysmate wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Oh
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone

Worraloadabollox. It says a lot more about the person judging someone by the watch they wear than the watch says about the wearer.

It doesnt have to be expensive, there is nothing wrong with having a nice watch, its a great thing. I have purchased a watch for my sons 18th and cant wait to give it to him. Value doesnt have to mean ££££££ like many on here seem to believe.

You are correct, a nice watch doesn't have to be expensive. But how can you possibly glean anything about a person's character by looking at their watch, unless you are the Amazing Kreskin? I stand by my earlier comment. Worraloadabollox.

You wrongfully assumed that my comment was made as the person looing in, rather than the person looking out.

I don't give a monkeys what people think of what I wear, what I drive or where I live, I have what I have as it gives me personal happiness, not to make others happy.
    It says a lot about me that I like to have a nice watch, clean shoes, a tidy home (well, with 3 kids I do the best I can) and nice cars. It says that I like nice things and when I work 7 day weeks I reward myself.

One day when people no longer require my services and everything goes t}ts up and im broke I will have plenty of time to reflect, until then ill keep plodding along in enjoyment.
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    VTech, almost every single thread you post in eventually comes around to you mentioning your valuable possessions.

I'd be more impressed if you'd start riding your bike a bit more.
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech, almost every single thread you post in eventually comes around to you mentioning your valuable possessions.

I'd be more impressed if you'd start riding your bike a bit more.

I ride my bike every other day, I wear a pair of leather shoes (much much cheaper in the long run over plastic shoes) and have a half decent watch purchased years ago. Its not about mentioning money or wealth, that's just throwaway comments from people trying to start an issue within a thread.
    You don't need to spend a lot of money to look after yourself, more often than not people waste because they buy cheaply. Arguing as much as they like that cheap is best when in the majority its poor choices leading to wastage of funds.

A pair of plastic shoes at £10 lasting 6 months or a pair of leather shoes lasting 10 years at £100
    A cheap watch costing £10 lasting a year or a £100 watch lasting a lifetime
    Cheap supermarket food killing you at a young age or fresh food cooked far cheaper giving better lifespan.

People here put valuable into monetary terms, that couldn't further from the truth, valuable is something you hold dear, something you have pride in, something you cherish wether that be a watch, a car, a bike, a loved one.
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech, I share your view insofar that I don't give a monkeys what people think of my lifestyle, possessions etc. You will be pleased to know that I care even less (if that's possible) about yours or anyone else's for that matter. If that sounds confrontational, it really isn't intended so. You are successful in your field and good luck to you.
    If I accept that I viewed your statement from the wrong viewpoint and it was intended to imply that wearing a nice watch portrays a particular image to the world, it doesn't quite sit with 'I don't give a monkeys what people think of what I wear' does it?

PS I find it slightly surreal that I am debating the significance of a watch on someone's wrist. :?
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    VTech, I share your view insofar that I don't give a monkeys what people think of my lifestyle, possessions etc. You will be pleased to know that I care even less (if that's possible) about yours or anyone else's for that matter. If that sounds confrontational, it really isn't intended so. You are successful in your field and good luck to you.
    If I accept that I viewed your statement from the wrong viewpoint and it was intended to imply that wearing a nice watch portrays a particular image to the world, it doesn't quite sit with 'I don't give a monkeys what people think of what I wear' does it?

PS I find it slightly surreal that I am debating the significance of a watch on someone's wrist. :?

The comment was that it only maters to me, not what others think (well, the wife often comments which does effect my decision at times).
    I don't care if someone doesn't like what I wear, I care that I like it.
    Living MY dream.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    We swapped our normal Nissan car for a Citroen Picasso so we could get the bikes in and go out cycling in other areas...dedicated or barking!?
  • VTech
    Depends what nissan but the pacasso is a great motor, the diesels are superb.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:

I ride my bike every other day, I wear a pair of leather shoes (much much cheaper in the long run over plastic shoes) and have a half decent watch purchased years ago. Its not about mentioning money or wealth, that's just throwaway comments from people trying to start an issue within a thread.
    You don't need to spend a lot of money to look after yourself, more often than not people waste because they buy cheaply. Arguing as much as they like that cheap is best when in the majority its poor choices leading to wastage of funds.

A pair of plastic shoes at £10 lasting 6 months or a pair of leather shoes lasting 10 years at £100
    Cheap supermarket food killing you at a young age or fresh food cooked far cheaper giving better lifespan.

People here put valuable into monetary terms, that couldn't further from the truth, valuable is something you hold dear, something you have pride in, something you cherish wether that be a watch, a car, a bike, a loved one.

Please, please tell me where I can get a watch costing £100 that lasts a lifetime. My last Seiko kinetic made it to 6 years before conking out
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    So after all these fancy motors my 2 will bring things back down with a bump.

My car is a Hyundai i40 Tourer (company car), but it swallows the bikes whole without any trouble.

My wifes car is a Citroen C1, because it is cheaper than getting the bus. £20 a year car tax and 50mpg+
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

Please, please tell me where I can get a watch costing £100 that lasts a lifetime. My last Seiko kinetic made it to 6 years before conking out

It was a fleeting comment but these watches will last as long as you keep them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SMITH ... 2ec8d64e43

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bergman-from- ... 3cd318eda9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Art-D ... 19de808259

This one is a little more but will last you until the day you die.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-VINT ... 4ac646c643
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ballysmate wrote:

...on a cycling forum....in a thread which was originally about cars. Work that one out.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    below is our family car....although ours has extended wheelbase...can fit my own wee peleton in.

master-passenger.jpg
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Baby Trek wrote:
    We swapped our normal Nissan car for a Citroen Picasso so we could get the bikes in and go out cycling in other areas...dedicated or barking!?

Went in a taxi one that had covered 300,000 miles, still in decent condition. So great choice
  • gangxu
    gangxu Posts: 25
    My cars main purpose is now to transport my bike :D....and unfortunately BMW drivers do seem to be some of the worst behaved on the roads :(

Don't own or wear watch.

8638214124_252943e13d_c.jpg
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    VTech wrote:

To be fair, if you are going to use a mechanical watch on a daily basis you will need to get it professionally serviced every 3 to 5 years or so, and that will probably cost £100+. A vintage watch from ebay will probably need a full service immediately, which could cost about £200+.

It's still well worth it IMO, and probably not much more expensive than wearing cheap & nasty watches that need to be replaced every few years anyway. Ironically, despite being on the anti-consumerist side of this debate I do agree with VTech that it's often best to spend a bit more on decent quality stuff that lasts and then look after it properly, rather than buying disposable rubbish and replacing it on a regular basis. Much more environmentally responsible too. Kitchen knives - that's another example. Get some decent French or German knives, keep them sharp and they will last most of a lifetime. Much nicer than horrible bendy cheap knives as well.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have a a Dacia Duster...
  • ballysmate
    zx6man wrote:
    I have a a Dacia Duster...

I use Mr Sheen
  • ballysmate
    There is a story about Ron Atkinson in the '80s, being interviewed for the Man U job after Dave Sexton. The talk came round to a company car. The chairman, Martin Edwards?, said, 'Well, the last manager had a Rover'. At which point, Atkinson, who had a Merc at West Brom, jumped in and said, 'Hey, I want a car not a dog!' He got his Mercedes.
    I would like to think it true. :lol:
  • ballysmate
    neeb wrote:
    VTech wrote:

To be fair, if you are going to use a mechanical watch on a daily basis you will need to get it professionally serviced every 3 to 5 years or so, and that will probably cost £100+. A vintage watch from ebay will probably need a full service immediately, which could cost about £200+.

It's still well worth it IMO, and probably not much more expensive than wearing cheap & nasty watches that need to be replaced every few years anyway. Ironically, despite being on the anti-consumerist side of this debate I do agree with VTech that it's often best to spend a bit more on decent quality stuff that lasts and then look after it properly, rather than buying disposable rubbish and replacing it on a regular basis. Much more environmentally responsible too. Kitchen knives - that's another example. Get some decent French or German knives, keep them sharp and they will last most of a lifetime. Much nicer than horrible bendy cheap knives as well.

I would agree that whatever you buy, you should buy wisely and ensure it is fit for purpose. Sometimes there is merit in the saying 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.
    I am willing to spend money on quality but object in the strongest manner imaginable to being ripped off. Hence my position, railing against buying goods for the sake of a label or perceived exclusivity.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    VTech wrote:
    I'm currently wearing a pair of supermarket shoes that prob cost ~£30 or so ... they've lasted ~5 years so far - but could probably do with being replaced in the next 6 months or so ... so on that basis they're better than your £100 shoes! :p

I have got a nice watch - it was my Grandpa's ... I have no idea and no care of it's monetary value - it's priceless to me because of where it came from. I fully intend to keep it - wear it occasionally and pass it on down the line.
    If I ever become penniless I still would not sell it - I'll pass it on first.
  • ballysmate
    Slowbike wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I'm currently wearing a pair of supermarket shoes that prob cost ~£30 or so ... they've lasted ~5 years so far - but could probably do with being replaced in the next 6 months or so ... so on that basis they're better than your £100 shoes! :p

I have got a nice watch - it was my Grandpa's ... I have no idea and no care of it's monetary value - it's priceless to me because of where it came from. I fully intend to keep it - wear it occasionally and pass it on down the line.

Some years back I acquired a pair of 'expensive' leather brogues. Full leather uppers and soles. Looked the dog's.
    Leather sole soon wore and had to have them resoled. Looked great as long as you didn't want to wear them. :lol:
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    I would agree that whatever you buy, you should buy wisely and ensure it is fit for purpose. Sometimes there is merit in the saying 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.
    I am willing to spend money on quality but object in the strongest manner imaginable to being ripped off. Hence my position, railing against buying goods for the sake of a label or perceived exclusivity.
    +1 Wot e' sed, to the letter.
    Mangeur
  • VTech
    Slowbike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

This has been my point throughout.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Some years back I acquired a pair of 'expensive' leather brogues. Full leather uppers and soles. Looked the dog's.
    Leather sole soon wore and had to have them resoled. Looked great as long as you didn't want to wear them. :lol:

Thats really odd, were they genuine ?
    Brogues have a long reputation of being incredibly hard wearing. Of course soles will need to be replaced but coming from a technical background where I have always wore cheap clothes, cheap shoes up until around the age of 35 when I switched to fully cotton shirts and leather shoes, I can assure you that they both feel better and last far longer.
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Thats really odd, were they genuine ?
    Brogues have a long reputation of being incredibly hard wearing. Of course soles will need to be replaced but coming from a technical background where I have always wore cheap clothes, cheap shoes up until around the age of 35 when I switched to fully cotton shirts and leather shoes, I can assure you that they both feel better and last far longer.

Yes they were genuine. :lol: Genuine leather from what I assume to be a genuine cow.
    The uppers lasted for ages after the soles were repaired. But leather is not as hard wearing on abrasive surfaces as man made products.
  • I have several pairs of Berluti shoes that I have had for over 10 years. They have been resoled, had new uppers, new sock linings, heel pads, laces and are like new.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    I have several pairs of Berluti shoes that I have had for over 10 years. They have been resoled, had new uppers, new sock linings, heel pads, laces and are like new.

Is that you Trigger? :lol:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I drive MK5 (Mapped) Golf GTI which goes like stink. :D

My watch is a Breitling Emergency....

Can i get an upgrade ?
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I have several pairs of Berluti shoes that I have had for over 10 years. They have been resoled, had new uppers, new sock linings, heel pads, laces and are like new.

Is that you Trigger? :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

My watch is a Breitling Emergency....
    What, is the mainspring about to snap and take your eye out or something?