So, what cars do we all drive?

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Old style ford Ka, would get a hot hatch, but can't really justify the expense when I could spend the money on bikes/holidays, so I'll just have to get my speed kicks from cycling downhills!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Honda CRV - boring, but reliable, and it'll take 2 bikes standing up, wheels on.

Audi A2, now 13 years old. Refuses to die or cost anything. Full alu construction so rust proof. Still on original clutch, exhaust, battery, cam belt, only ever changed pads and discs once, that's it. Quite fancy an A1, but just can't justify the price, when the A2 does it just as well. Now quite an unusual car (especially in France) and looks more modern than alot of small cars.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    adam0bmx0 wrote:
    A turbo charged Mk1 Jap import Mazda MX5 (Eunos Roadster). :)
    Dammit, why is there someone on every forum I use, taunting me for selling mine last year :(:wink:

Currently driving a Citroen C1. Consequently, I spend around £40 a month on petrol :D
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    marylogic wrote:

When I pick my kids up from school/nursery, I try to do it by bike

Okay, it takes a little longer by bike, but my children love it.

Sounds like you're doing it exactly right. Your kids probably will too when they grow up. I work in car-clogged Cambridge. There are dramatically fewer cars on the road, especially round 3 to 4pm during the holidays, due to the lack of the school run. It's a much nicer city to cycle on those days as a result.

Cambridge is great for cycling, crap for cars. Every time I have to drive I don't enjoy it much once I'm in city limits, but I am happy to have a very comfortable car (Jaguar S-Type XS). Looked at Bentley Flying Spurs today, and they are amazing for traffic I would assume!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Oldest car(?) on here?

1956 BMW Isetta 300.

Couldn't get a bike in it, or on it, but you could overtake it on a bike (top speed 50mph).

four wheels, four stroke, four gears (plus reverse) and a full length sunroof in case someone parks too close in front :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bigharj
    bigharj Posts: 78
    BMW 530d Gran Turismo M Sport

Twin turbo's make this thing go! Just love putting into Sport mode! Although it's a bit crappy to transport bikes around, have to take the seats down to get my MTB in and that's after taking the front wheel and seat post off. My older S Class Merc just swallows everything in the boot.
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    4x4 are awful...white ones are really awful. Worst thread everrrrr.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Ok OP, what watch do you wear? Is it a cheap Timex or Casio, or a Patek Philippe Calatrave,
    Hublot Masterpiece MP05 Laferrairi, Parmiginai Bugatti, or Harry Winston Premier Feathers?
  • Not sure why a thread about cars would suddenly morph into one about watches, but why not?

And my watch answer is the same as my car answer. Not only do I not drive but I don't wear a watch either. I stopped about ten years ago when my bike milage started to increase. I found that a watch dug into the back of my hand when riding, so I'd leave it at home. Soon I noticed that you don't need one these days to tell the time, there are clocks everywhere (On your cycle computer, for a start). You can make a fair guess from the position of the sun, too (if you can see it).
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone. Same as nice shoes.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    Every man should have a nice watch. It says a lot about someone. Same as nice shoes.

Who is the arbiter of all this 'niceness'?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Renault Clio. Fits 3 people & 3 bikes in it. Does the job, most of the time at least.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    One of these..........

40896_163542970338463_8035960_n.jpg

One of these.........

1012168_688199941206094_63935242_n.jpg

And the missus has one on these..........

nissan-navara-3-0-dci-v6-outlaw--no-vat--28000-miles-one-owner-22978734-1.jpg
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    VTech wrote:

I've not owned a watch for nearly 30 years, yet have the integrity to not be late for appointments. My stomach tells me when it's lunchtime, and I use my phone for the rest. Also I'm a cyclist; my tan lines are daft enough without an extra white stripe for a watch.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I see willy waving is not confined to just bikes then. :lol:
  • fish156 wrote:

I've not owned a watch for nearly 30 years, yet have the integrity to not be late for appointments. My stomach tells me when it's lunchtime, and I use my phone for the rest. Also I'm a cyclist; my tan lines are daft enough without an extra white stripe for a watch.

Agreed. It's only courteous not to be late, and anyway, my job is such that five minutes is a significant delay. As a result I have developed a strong sense of what time it is. I know whether I am running early, late or on time, and when I check I am rarely more than two minutes adrift of my estimate.

And I do like the fact that my left wrist doesn't have a watch shadow.
  • ballysmate
    De Sisti wrote:
    Ok OP, what watch do you wear? Is it a cheap Timex or Casio, or a Patek Philippe Calatrave,
    Hublot Masterpiece MP05 Laferrairi, Parmiginai Bugatti, or Harry Winston Premier Feathers?

A watch only needs to be accurate. Doesn't matter if it cost a fiver or 5 grand. If it tells the time, it tells the time. If people want to show off by buying a watch for 5 grand, well, I suppose it is their money to waste. :?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I only mentioned watches because I thought the OP was showing off with his motor; but would not have been
    surprised if his watch wasn't ............. :wink:

Only joking. Above comment not to be taken too seriously. :)
  • ballysmate
    De Sisti wrote:
    I only mentioned watches because I thought the OP was showing off with his motor; but would not have been
    surprised if his watch wasn't ............. :wink:

Only joking. Above comment not to be taken too seriously. :)

Wasn't picking on you. Sorry if it seemed that way.
    Just can't understand why people would pay a fortune for a watch. Perhaps I should have posted in the other thread about annoying sh1t, :lol:
    Out of the ones you listed, the only ones I had heard of were Timex and Casio.
    (Both adequate watches by the way) :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

A watch only needs to be accurate. Doesn't matter if it cost a fiver or 5 grand. If it tells the time, it tells the time. If people want to show off by buying a watch for 5 grand, well, I suppose it is their money to waste. :?

To be fair, a nice watch is a nice thing. I think Vtech is right that it does say something about someone if they own a nice watch. The trouble is what you define as a nice watch.

For example, the above mentioned Patek Philippe is quite a tolerable looking thing - better than the average vulgar modern Omega or Rolex. Here it is: patek-philippe-calatrava-pk10885.jpg

Of course, the problem is that it costs £15k. OK it is made of 15k white gold but, really, I don't think it is as attractive as my 1967 Omega Constellation (on the left) that cost me £365 on ebay. It probably has a better mech than the Patek Philippe as well.......

ConnieandEterna-Matic.jpg

Back on topic - as for my car - similarly cheaper and nicer than current stuff. Bike easily fits in the back too! Has original orange indicatiors on now which look much better than those clear ones.

P1070193sm2.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Im normally a lurker but thought id pipe up to say i drive british, range rovers are gone and now drive the latest xj

That and a cannondale synapse carbon 3 :-)

New xj are the dog's gonads. But seem to have lost the 'cad/bounder/spiv' image of years gone by.
    Besides, I can't afford one. :cry::cry::cry:

Problem is, if your getting the jag you need the 5.0sc but then your getting 14-18mpg :(
    As for the small hot hatches, you can throw soooooo much money at them, it's like a drug addiction.

Why VTech, why?
    I know you inhabit a high octane world and think in cars in terms of POWER. In the real world, why would all that extra power be needed? For all I know, Jason, above, may drive such a beast. But so what if he has a diesel? He can still enjoy the same elegance and refinery and get reasonable fuel consumption.
  • richie771
    richie771 Posts: 20
    Imposter wrote:
    Was this a thread intended for the OP to tell us all about his car?

Yes - the OP is awesome and wanted everyone to know that his new car is awesome. We're all very impressed.
    LOL
    Xenith Pro Ultegra Di2
    Mavic Kysyrium
    FSA Carbon Cockpit
    Garmin Edge 800
  • big_p
    Ballysmate, would it annoy terribly if i posted a picture of my watch ?

483339_583558021670287_1830079009_n.jpg
  • VTech
    Firstly, a nice watch doesnt have to cost a lot of money, my most prized possession is a rolex I bought years ago, cost me around £2k and worth a bit more today. I love it, it has no mega value but its a part of me, I will never sell it and get huge pleasure from it. I actually have lots of watches, I bought loads of Boy London watches a few years ago as I really wanted one when I was a kid and couldnt afford them.

I wouldnt mind owning a Patek, I met Matt Goss at Caesars Palace a couple of years ago and he had Patek Calibre (around £500k) and it really was a thing of beauty.
    I wouldnt however spend that much on a watch.
    Also, remember, buying a nice watch is an investment, rarely do decent watched drop in value.

@ballysmate, its like having a porsche boxter because you couldnt afford the 911, your never really there if you know what I mean.
    Now I know it may be different with the 5.0NA but you will never find anyone who is happy with the NA once they have driven the SC.
    If you have the Jag diesel then thats fine, they go like stink and are a great drive, no losses their.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    big p wrote:

You will probably upset some people but damn, thats a sweet looking timepiece. :shock:
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    big p wrote:

Not in the least. As I said it is up to you which watch, if any, you wear. I just said i don't understand why people waste their money so. :D
  • ballysmate
    VTech wrote:
    big p wrote:

You will probably upset some people but damn, thats a sweet looking timepiece. :shock:

Will come in handy next time you need to know the time at 1000ft. :lol:
  • big_p
    A thing of beauty is sometimes worth the money, and after all, it's whats inside that counts.

omega-co-axial-watch-movement-calibre-2500-06.jpg
  • VTech
    Damn thats nice, I feel like doing out and buying a new watch, I guess its like women and shoes.
    Living MY dream.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Bike - Honda SP1 1000cc

One of the nicest twins I've ever ridden. Sooo much better than the ducati's of the same era. Pig awful to ride slowly if I remember, had a bit of a binary throttle.