Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• bompington wrote:
    Oh my goodness, the tin foil hats are coming out of the woodwork!
    Do you suppose maybe Tygart is working secretly for the Illuminati?

hello mate, did you ever catch up with that OAP that went past you on a Brompton the other day?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Gladiator wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:
    No ones ever going to really know if he took the sauce or not. On one side you have ex-team mates who are saying he did because they got done for it and on the other hand you have Lance who says he never did and there's never been a failed test against his name.

Fact is, as is life, its all made more complicated than it needs to be. The ex-team mates you could argue, are simply jealous of his success. If you dont believe that then you only have to read Mark Cavendishs book 'Boy Racer" to see how he and Griepel didnt get on, both believing they were better than each other and underhand tactics. Its life. Armstrong ex-team mates could easily come forward now, at the end of their careers and go 'hell yeh, he took drugs' whilst thinking 'f*ck him" in their heads.

Also, because Lance has said 'thats it enough, i dont care anymore' doesnt mean he's admitting anything. Have none of you lot spent time on something that keeps coming back, even an injury that wont go away and you eventually think 'f*ck this..ive had enough..im giving up 'x' sport'. its no different mentally. I bet most people reading this have been on diets for months on end, not seen results and thought 'f*ck it" and headed for the jam donuts. You see life isnt as easy as everyone likes to make out, its never black and white. There are always three parts to a story, not two, there that persons side, the other persons side and the bit in the middle.

Another thing, the Guardian article states at the bottom of its article that "if something looks too good to be then it probably is...in this case Armstrong was better than everyone else so must have been taking something'. Well if thats the case they must all being doing. Even WIGGINS! because he looked better than everyone at the TFD, so he must be on the sauce yes? and Cavendish for being the worlds fastest sprinter? also on the sauce, Chris Hoy? on the sauce. Als, while we are at it does it mean Eddy Mercxx was on the sauce and too good to be true? afterall he wiped the floor with everyone for years.

No, it does not. Sometimes, some people are just better than the rest, thats life and none of us will really know if Armstrong was or not.

Do i think LA was taking drugs? i dont know, but if he was it wouldnt surprise me as at that time half the peloton was. it wasnt exactly a minority, even Cav in his book says he was offered them. So why is everyone so bloody shocked is LA did?
    All this talk of the American governing agencies with there retoric about making the world a 'drug free' place and clean is pathetic at best, youve only got to Youtube 'Chip Tatum' a former CIA black operative working for George Bush to know the US gov actually paid for drugs and distributed it like sweets among the populace, so to parade this charade of 'we're clean and ethical' is absolute b*ll*cks.

IM not condoning drug takers or LA but dont be blind to think this is all one sided, life never is, and only the people directly in the middle will ever know, everything else, including this forum is pure speculation.

N
    And what about team mates who haven't been caught but would implicate themselves in giving testimony against him?

What about them? you mean the same ones who are retired, got their millions and are happy to smear themselves in order to have a pop at LA because they dont like him. Those ones? what? you think they give a stuff about being labelled a druggie for a month or so before they go back to their big mansions?

Youve just proved how blinkered most people are in life.
    Lordy! Blinkered? After the diatribe you wrote?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gladiator wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Oh my goodness, the tin foil hats are coming out of the woodwork!
    Do you suppose maybe Tygart is working secretly for the Illuminati?

hello mate, did you ever catch up with that OAP that went past you on a Brompton the other day?
    Thank you for providing evidence to back up my opinion, saves me a lot of trouble
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I like this guy Raser who posted a comment and some replies in a Yahoo thread on this. His sarcastic support one is best.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/lanc ... --spt.html
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • martco
    martco Posts: 1
    newstalk106 is a Dublin based radio station, their sports show "Off the Ball" always have some interesting stuff, and cover cycling regularly, ye might like this, Kimmage being interviewed about Contador:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwfV9i-yco

....there's also another amazing one (again with Kimmage) from 2009 where he's in full explosive flight on the Armstrong subject, almost like a rant....the podcast seems offline at moment but bookmark it as it'll be online again hopefully later today...
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2009/programmes/ ... armstrong/
  • ReesA
    ReesA Posts: 62
    edited August 2012
    martco wrote:
    newstalk106 is a Dublin based radio station, their sports show "Off the Ball" always have some interesting stuff, and cover cycling regularly, ye might like this, Kimmage being interviewed about Contador:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwfV9i-yco

....there's also another amazing one (again with Kimmage) from 2009 where he's in full explosive flight on the Armstrong subject, almost like a rant....the podcast seems offline at moment but bookmark it as it'll be online again hopefully later today...
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2009/programmes/ ... armstrong/

Good stuff.

Maybe I missed this in the thread or in another thread but what are the next possible steps in publicly nailing LA with clear evidence and/or clear statements from sports testing and controlling bodies about guilt and accepted guilt. From what I understand he has taken this stand because he realises he cannot defend against the evidence against him and wants to stop that evidence going public to save as much of what he has left as possible.

So what is next? There is a public arbitration for Bruyneel (spelling?) coming up but apart from that I am not sure what will happen as this now becomes an ongoing publicity spin (and potentially USA vs the world as well).

EDIT: Since i posted this I found this interview with Travis Tygart which gave me some answers

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12712 ... ipped.aspx
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Merckx backing him. Legend on the bike, not quite so off it. Worth translating - he even bangs on about him passing all his tests...

Love the Hinault quote LL

"Lance Armstrong est désabusé
    et fait face à un procès injuste", a déclaré l'ancien champion cycliste Eddy
    Merckx vendredi après l'annonce de la radiation à vie de l'Américain pour
    dopage par l'Agence américaine antidopage (Usada).
    "A un certain moment, il y a un ras-le-bol qui s'installe. Lance dit à
    l'Usada +Faites ce que vous voulez, maintenant, je m'en fiche+", a commenté
    Merckx à propos d'une décision qui risque de retirer à Armstrong ses sept
    victoires dans le Tour de France.
    "Lance a été très correct pendant sa carrière. Que peut-il faire de plus ?
    Tous les contrôles qu'il a passés, plus de 500 depuis l'an 2000, se sont
    révélés négatifs. Ou bien les contrôles ça ne sert à rien, ou bien Armstrong a
    été +réglo+. Tout le procès est basé sur des témoignages. C'est profondément
    injuste", a ajouté Eddy Merckx qui assistait vendredi au rallye automobile
    d'Allemagne.
    "Je n'ai pas eu Lance en ligne récemment mais je sais qu'il est désabusé",
    a encore dit le champion belge qui pourrait redevenir le co-détenteur du record
    du nombre de victoires dans le Tour (5) avec Anquetil, Hinault et Indurain.
    A propos du palmarès du Tour de France, Eddy Merckx s'interroge: "Que faire
    de ces classements ? Il faut voir ce que l'UCI va décider. C'est de toute façon
    une mauvaise nouvelle pour le vélo", a-t-il conclu.
    Tout en réaffirmant son innocence, Armstrong a renoncé jeudi soir à
    poursuivre son bras-de-fer juridique avec l'Usada qui l'accuse de s'être dopé
    lors de la période de ses victoires sur le Tour (1999-2005). Dans la foulée,
    l'agence a annoncé sa radiation à vie du cyclisme et l'annulation de ses
    résultats depuis août 1998.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Anyone heard anything from P&P today. Suicide watch?

The sport of professional bike racing will never be the same again. Flags flying at half mast on the African ranch.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    smithy21 wrote:
    Anyone heard anything from P&P today. Suicide watch?

The sport of professional bike racing will never be the same again. Flags flying at half mast on the African ranch.

Don't worry about Phil - a quick shuffle around his suitcase of courage and a little cuddle from Sherwen will make it all better.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    emadden wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:
    Hinault's reaction

https://twitter.com/dnlbenson/status/238946307316793345

Hinault: "I don't ******* care. It's his problem not mine. It's a problem that should have been solved 10 or 15 years ago and wasn't."

+1

Hinault isnt a "hard man", or cool or a role model, he just constantly comes across as a primitive buffoon - Just IMO ... thats all.

I wasn't promoting the Badger as a member of the intelligentsia but I do agree with what he's said. I should have been sorted when the retro medical form issue happened (in 1999 ?). This will rumble on for a bit more then become part of history just like Willy Voet. Unfortunately the protagonists in this instance won't serve time. Hopefully we can try and move on but doping and cycling will be forever linked regardless of what happenes to LA.

Many thought the French illegality of PEDs approach might sort it out by making people sh!t scared that if they had anything dodgy on them they'd go to jail but that clearly hasn't worked.

What the vast majority of (non-cycling) people won't realise is that the UCI are as guilty as LA et al and surely one could argue that it is that which is the real issue here. What hope have we if the governing body is corrupt ?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Got to admit that I am impressed. Almost 11 pages in less that 19 hours. Could this be THE REALLY big thread? :):)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,763
    dennisn wrote:
    Got to admit that I am impressed. Almost 11 pages in less that 19 hours. Could this be THE REALLY big thread? :):)

You'd be going some to beat this: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12575770&start=40320
  • dennisn
    dsoutar wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:
    Hinault's reaction

https://twitter.com/dnlbenson/status/238946307316793345

Hinault: "I don't ******* care. It's his problem not mine. It's a problem that should have been solved 10 or 15 years ago and wasn't."

+1

Hinault isnt a "hard man", or cool or a role model, he just constantly comes across as a primitive buffoon - Just IMO ... thats all.

What hope have we if the governing body is corrupt ?

Hate to say it but that sounds like you're describing most of the worlds governments.
    That any sports "governing body" could be corrupt, in it's own way, should not be a surprise to anyone.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

You'd be going some to beat this: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12575770&start=40320

Holy cr*p Batman. 2000+ pages. You guys have your work cut out for you then. :shock: :shock:
  • dennisn
    So who will play Lance in the movie version? And will it go big screen or a made for TV
    mini series? Also, any bets on the amount of books this will whole thing will generate?
  • Someone earlier on justified the prosecution of Armstrong by saying what would a young American cyclist of today think if they didn't. So I asked my twenty-one year old cycling fanatic (British) son what he and his cycling friends thought of the news.

Basically, they think it's a bunch of old men getting their knickers in a twist about history, and that the results should just be left alone, as none of the others could be trusted not to be on drugs either (Jan Ullrich's name came up several times, amongst others), just like none of the athletics results can be trusted (just take a look at how many records, especially women's, have lasted 20-30 years). Armstrong and his peers were the inspiration for them getting into the sport, but they've moved on, and frankly don't give a d*mn what the USADA do, it won't take away from them their experience of the time. They're actually more concerned about how Justin Gatlin was allowed to compete in the Olympics, having been convicted twice.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    dennisn wrote:
    So who will play Lance in the movie version? And will it go big screen or a made for TV
    mini series? Also, any bets on the amount of books this will whole thing will generate?

Hincapies book is going to be a best seller.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    dennisn wrote:

I hope its Christoph Walz, that would be quite something to witness.
  • Dafo wrote:
    Wikipedia TDF pages now showing Jan as 4 times TDF winner....

HAHA...that's even a bigger joke.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I think the real losers in this are LA's legal team.
    After all I was looking forward to their mounting of the Chewbacca Defense and now we won't get to see it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chevin - kinda see what you mean, but there is so much more to it than that. This is part of paving the way

(as ripped off from yahoo comments somewhere)

"How dare they send the message to young athletes that even if they get away with it now they can be caught in the future, is that the right message to send to them? Why it could even make them think that setting up a charitable foundation is not a sufficient smokescreen for past offences.

What about the fans, surely a campaign of support for Mr Armstrong from people unaware of his previous back test for EPO in 98, and hasty cortisone exemption will reverse this decision. After all if these people have been taken in, it is better they keep going with their blinkers rather than admit they have no expertise in physiological analysis of blood data showing beyond human results.

I mean this is the internet everybody's opinion on this matters."
  • Just curious how USADA which started in 2000 can strip him of any results before that? It will be interesting to see how the UCI handles that request.
  • bompington
    Just curious how USADA which started in 2000 can strip him of any results before that? It will be interesting to see how the UCI handles that request.
    This is analogous to saying that a police department set up in 2012 can't investigate crimes committed in 2011
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    MrTapir wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I hope its Christoph Walz, that would be quite something to witness.
    He would make a good Bruyneel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    So .... Brad won the 2009 TDF ?

How do I get my winnings from paddypower ???
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If anyone without even hearing the evidence believe LA's innocent and they have nothing on him and hence it would be chucked out, then why on earth do they think that LA wouldn't want to hear the evidence himself??

What kind of innocent person would choose to just take the ban and the results stripping??

Fact is... loads more is going to happen. Yesterday was just one point in the story, but a lot more is going to come out and happen.

Lance has said he's turned the page, wont fight or comment anymore... lets see if he manages to do so when evidence and testimony starts pouring out which goes plain against his "im innocent". He wont be quiet.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    mfin wrote:
    If anyone without even hearing the evidence believe LA's innocent and they have nothing on him and hence it would be chucked out, then why on earth do they think that LA wouldn't want to hear the evidence himself??

What kind of innocent person would choose to just take the ban and the results stripping??

Fact is... loads more is going to happen. Yesterday was just one point in the story, but a lot more is going to come out and happen.

Lance has said he's turned the page, wont fight or comment anymore... lets see if he manages to do so when evidence and testimony starts pouring out which goes plain against his "im innocent". He wont be quiet.
    You don't really get it do you...guilty until proven innocent ...

BTW I don't know when the last time someone won truly clean .. Cadel, and Brad excepted.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    rockmount wrote:

What about Andy?

and @MFIN your avatar picture is repulsive.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    rockmount wrote:

BTW I don't know when the last time someone won truly clean .. Cadel, and Brad excepted.

Carlos Sastre?
  • bompington
    rockmount wrote:

What about Andy?

and @MFIN your avatar picture is repulsive.
    Quite, you should be ashamed to show that yellow band in public