TYRES, The price of!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    srands wrote:
    But as consumers for many things, we don't know what the profit % margin is on products we buy.

All I can think of to say is Duh.

And please stop the random capitals.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • srands
    srands Posts: 27
    Hmmm a RICH person.

When you're RICH, you buy what you want, and you don't moan, because the cost isn't the issue, getting what you want and the best, is what matters, to RICH PEOPLE, or PEOPLE with enough money not to question, the cost of whatever.

People's disposable income, so to speak, plays a big part in WHAT they buy, and WHAT they DON'T BUY.

When you're NOT RICH, you think, blimey how much is that, sure you don't want any more for it! i.e. I'm NOT paying that much! I won't buy that OR I'll get it from another shop or website OR Oh It will have to wait until I've got some more cash.

TYRES on my car cost £36 balanced, fitted inc vat for a brand I've never heard of EVENT (Horizon! I'm joking film reference). To fit the factory alloys, and the tyres are hard wearing, and corner well in the wet. SO I DON'T CARE THAT IT DOESN'T SAY "PIRELLI" on THE SIDE, OR NOT!

So £250 to me for a tyre, is alot, fair enough is your RICH enough to drive a BMW X6 with 19" alloys. Hence becuase they're not common, the tyres would be expensive.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bored of this thread, clearly srans is an IDIOT.
  • cooldad
    @srands - not rich at all. I am very very careful about what I buy, and do all of my own maintenance.
    The point I was trying to make, is that you don't need to know the profit margin of anything you buy. It is immaterial, irrelevant, unimportant, and I'm not even sure you understand what the term means.

There is no maximum profit margin law, you want it, you buy it, or don't.

Apart from that, disposable income plays a part in what people buy? Really? Duh!!!!!!!!!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can pick 26 inch tyres up for less than a tenner each. Why not buy them?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Rich people are often rich because they are careful with their money....

As has been said, there's no law against making a profit- you'll pay what it's worth to you. Hence I don't buy schwalbe tyres unless they're on offer. Get the point?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    srands wrote:
    Hmmm a RICH person.

When you're RICH, you buy what you want, and you don't moan, because the cost isn't the issue, getting what you want and the best, is what matters, to RICH PEOPLE, or PEOPLE with enough money not to question, the cost of whatever.

People's disposable income, so to speak, plays a big part in WHAT they buy, and WHAT they DON'T BUY.

When you're NOT RICH, you think, blimey how much is that, sure you don't want any more for it! i.e. I'm NOT paying that much! I won't buy that OR I'll get it from another shop or website OR Oh It will have to wait until I've got some more cash.

TYRES on my car cost £36 balanced, fitted inc vat for a brand I've never heard of EVENT (Horizon! I'm joking film reference). To fit the factory alloys, and the tyres are hard wearing, and corner well in the wet. SO I DON'T CARE THAT IT DOESN'T SAY "PIRELLI" on THE SIDE, OR NOT!

So £250 to me for a tyre, is alot, fair enough is your RICH enough to drive a BMW X6 with 19" alloys. Hence becuase they're not common, the tyres would be expensive.

And lo we have reached the real reason behind your pointless rant.

'I can't afford it so therefore the item I'm talking about is overpriced or unneccessary'

Different people put different vaules on stuff relative to their income. I for example spend an unholy proportion of my income on bikes, yet nothing on say fishing or golf gear however I know people who will only spend £200 on a bike, yet thousands on fishing or golf gear. Doesnt mean they are rich idiots throwing away money on overpriced stuff.

Saying someone is an idiot because of how much they spend on something and how rich they are because they obviously can afford to throw their money on something you arent bothered about makes you look like a jealous fool. Its not your money so you cant say what it should be spent on.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited June 2011
    EDITED
    ... never mind...
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    You can pick very good discounted 26 inch tyres up for less than a tenner each. Why not buy them?

FTFY
    "Coming through..."
  • srands
    edited June 2011
    OK lets go to basics on this (Since my CAR TYRE COMPARISON isn't a seasoned favourite here):

~ You buy a quality MTB (Hardtail or Full Sus, whatever like it matters for this example), DEORE groupset equivalent or better.
    ~ You ride many many miles, and not surprisingly some wear & tear.

On a MTB this commonly first of all is:
    ~ BRAKE/GEAR INNER STRETCH (Normally within first 15 miles)
    ~ TYRES
    ~ BRAKE PADS
    ~ CHAIN then either CHAINRINGS/CASSETTE
    ~ then the parts you accidently break, when falling off or replace for something better.

Hence the first ancillaries you're most likely to replace first of all is........
    TYRES, that's right! What you going to do ride with badly worn tyres that will keep getting you punctures! NO buy some tyres!

Anyway 20 years ago there was much less choice of MTB TYRES, TIOGA TYRES SMOKE LITES were like £9.95 or you could buy FARMER JOHN for less.

And then MTB TYRE MANUFACTURERS must have thought what will consumers (US the customers) pay for tyres and more choice:

Original example price: £10
    ONCE & 1/2! (A 3rd of £15 is £5 so £10 + £5): £15
    Double: £20
    Double & 1/2: £25
    Triple: £30
    Triple & 1/2: £35
    Quadruple: £40

Incidently Halfords cheap tyres are still £17 each, so £34 for both, sounds alot to me.
    It's daft local & national bike shops don't sell a quality pair for £20, apart from over the internet, this is completely absurd.
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:
    You can pick 26 inch tyres up for less than a tenner each. Why not buy them?
  • srands
    Ok please enlighten me what other websites sells tyres for £10.

So far we had mentioned in this thread:

~ Continental X King 26 x 2.2 inch ~ £12 each

~ Michelin Country Mud 26 x 2.~ £10 each
  • tom_howard
    So you're now saying you can buy cheap tyres,(what was your point again?) you just dont want to do it on the internet?

Oh and thanks for the maths lesson, I struggled with knowing what double £10 was. Just out of my wild curiosity, whats 5 times £10??

Just so you know, 1/3 more than £10 is £13.33. Moron.

13 tyres at £10 or under, now get off your soapbox.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... rtBy=Price
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • supersonic
    Argos, asda, tesco all sell them. Use google. You can get a pair of tyres AND tubes for less than 20 quid from tesco.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    OK, bottom line here, pay attention srans.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001N4I4NC/r ... B001N4I4NC

These are £13.45 each. In 1991, 20 years ago and adjusted for inflation, these work out at £8.40 each.

There are many many more tyres at this price point with free delivery on the internet. They are reasonable tyres and if you can't afford the higher priced tyres, that is YOUR problem, not ours, so what do you want us to do about it?

Heck, a £40 tyre these days would be about £25 if you adjust for the 1991 inflation rate.

I took the inflation rate data from the 2004 paper ‘Consumer Price Inflation Since 1750’ (ISSN 0013-0400, Economic Trends No. 604, pp 38-46) by Jim O’Donoghue, Louise Goulding, and Grahame Allen, which estimates historic British inflation back to 1750.

So, i think your point is proved as being not even remotely relevant to anything.
  • tom_howard
    Anyone else a little freaked out that you can buy decent mtb tyres from an online book shop?
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • srands
    MANY THANKS........

For the hyperlinks (Of course especially CHAIN REACTION CYCLES) of cheap MTB tyre websites, that consist of quality tyres, that you almost certainly would put on your bike, without being too embrassed by them........

Also I've rephrased my last post, for those who didn't get the mathematical hint I was making (Gee thanks Professor MATHS), perhaps he thought it misleading stupidity.

Well he must be chuffed to bits............ by mortgage providers calculations of interest.

Anyway I must admit at the moment my bike isn't a necessity, I don't ride it to work everyday. It's a hobby. "You never had your car", "You never had your bike", etc no I haven't seen the new Fast & Furious film, is it number 5?
  • supersonic
    Lol. Fact is cheap bike tyres start from 8 quid. That is a quarter of what the op paid for his cheap unheard of car tyre. Mid to high end bike tyres start from 20 quid. Still cheaper! Top end bike tyres from 40 and more. Now what is a top end car tyre? Seems to me car tyres are the rip off.. ;-)
  • android125
    android125 Posts: 36
    Hehe :lol:
    Some posters seem to be getting a little hot under the collar. No need....

I agree some tyres seem to be more expensive than they should be but as long as you can get a set of Conti's for about 25 quid I'm happy. Cos thats where I fit into the market.

There will always be those who will buy expensive tyres because of their dedication to the sport or because of their wealth or simply cos they like expensive gear. So there will always be a supply of them....thats capitalism....

peace and happiness
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I don't get this thread, if you compare off road racing car/truck tyres which start at over £150 when hevily discounted in sales and the £16 for a similar sort of MTB tyre with discount http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/108035.html (Maxxis Mudzilla compared to Maxxis swampthing)

So a tenth of the cost with probably not that much difference in design cost and manufacturing time and plant, even at rrps it isn't that bad like for like.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    have you SEEN THE price of RAZOR blades?

time we ALL made our own TO SAVE money!
    Peter
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Why all the team aggression over someone posting an opinion that they think MTB tyres are expensive? Some people seem to take a real affront at the suggestion. Weird.
  • cooldad
    Personally I just dislike people who shout at me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I used to spend £20 on tyres, and I still do. Just catch bargains, right now for example On-One are doing really well priced Schwalbe:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCNICPER/schwalbe-nobby-nic-performance-folding-tyre

Bizarrely they seem to be the one thing with biking that isn't hiking up way above inflation. Sod £20 tyres, Fox Forks cost £900 now!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    DF33 wrote:
    have you SEEN THE price of RAZOR blades?

time we ALL made our own TO SAVE money!

Tell me about it.

Get this - I went to a barbershop the other day and the bloke had the cheek to suggest I should pay him for letting him have some of my hair.
  • srands
    OK. MANY THANKS, yah.

MTB TYRES are definately cheaper over the internet, especially some Hutchinson, Continental and Michelin, from MTB websites, such as:

~ CHAIN REACTION CYCLES EG: Panaracer Fire XC from £9

~ ALL TERRAIN CYCLES EG: Michelin Country All Terrain From £9

But, still very very surprised that if you walk into most bike shops, two almost discete barely noticeable rubber hoops, will set you back some like £60! OK bike shops have expenses like business mortgages, lots of sales staff, lots of mechanics, etc, but you'd think some of your no-nonsence, just some really decent bikes and kit 'BIKE SHOPS' would stock some of the lower RRP QUALITY tyres, BUT NO! So ordering an ODD shaped product like tyres over the internet, INCLUDING DELIVERY, equals cheaper then the shops! CRAZY!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    srands - you're not picking up on the subtle hints, so are you aware that CAPITALISATION in threads is the equivalent to SHOUTING?

Also, is English your first language?
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    back again

but he is right

tyres in 1990 were a cost minimum of a tenner, and the prices would climb

but the panaracer smoke and dart in gum colour (less material and dye's) cost twice as much as the standard tyre

cost is all down to price per unit, they make and sell more 26" tyres than ever but are still in the £10.00 - £40.00 mark, and there will be some component of the cost of crude oil within the pricing, which bike tyres seem not to be affected by.

They just sit there and ask "how much can we sell this for?" or "how much are you prepared to pay for it?"

So people on their "the peter" bikes should stop buying the most expensive stuff in the shop and let the market cool, because the resession has not cooled prices

and remeber who ever has won an auction, has paid too much for the item
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Smokes/Darts etc? We're talking 10-15 years ago here, cans of Coke cost 25p, I don't see anything hugely wrong.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."