• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    yeehaamcgee
    Holy Jesus F*ck!!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ruuber is about £2.50 per kg. And as far as I am aware, £35 car tyres don't have kevlar beads, or dual compounds with additives, or kevlar reinforced carcasses, or are made to be as light as reasonbly possible. Many £35 bike tyres are just this.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    supersonic wrote:
    Ruuber is about £2.50 per kg. And as far as I am aware, £35 car tyres don't have kevlar beads, or dual compounds with additives, or kevlar reinforced carcasses, or are made to be as light as reasonbly possible. Many £35 bike tyres are just this.

Fair point. The engineering mehind bike tyres is a lot more intense, which is what bumps the price up. It's all to do with the tpi etc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Entry level tyres are decent enough. Maybe wire bead, hard rubber, 700g for a 2.2. It does the job, and for cheap.

Pay an extra £25 and you can get lower weight, better grip, more protection. Saving 150g for £20-£25 is a bargain in MTB terms. I think tyres are the single best investment a MTBer can make regarding performance and weight - and this is rotational weight too.

It always makes me raise an eyebrow when people with mid range bikes are willing to spend 100s on Thomson stems and seatposts or a CK headset for no benefit at all, yet stick with the tyres that came on the bike ;-)
  • couldnt agree more with supersonic on this one.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    sorry this is still going on?
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Stop complaining, I just had to get a set of new tyres for my Veyron after a massive donut session in Tescos car park last night.

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/business_area/27/18526.html
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847

Are you tyring of the discussion?
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    wordnumb wrote:

top notch
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    wordnumb wrote:

What?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    As my kids say

Blah, blah, blah. Blah blah.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    yay, another stupid thread has moved to the crudcatcher. This is definitely teh best way of dealing with them :D
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    yay, another stupid thread has moved to the crudcatcher. This is definitely teh best way of dealing with them :D

+ Expensive potato
  • Fully-sprung
    Fully-sprung Posts: 670
    I get my tyres for £6 each at my local bike shop, they last about a year with my riding style doing 3.4 miles a day M-F for 195 days a year, so that's 663 miles a year which makes it 2p per mile. Plus the cost of dustcaps, headset caps, derailleurs, handle bar grips and what ever else the tw@s at school decide to ruin/gets consumed by general wear and tear, which makes it quite expensive actually. It's not just tyres that cost the earth you know.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    to be fair, the man makes a good point.

a bike tyre costs more than many car tyres but its a fraction of the materials, we are being ripped off no matter how you dice it.

he's not comparing apples and oranges like everyone else here, he is just stating that there is more material in a car tyre yet they manage to cost less than many bike tyres.

i think he is correct and the rest of you are fools.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :lol:
    Well, someone's on form today!
  • Fully-sprung
    Well, someone's on forum today!
    My dustcap topic:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    That was the funniest thing I've see all year, ha ha ha :roll:
  • Fully-sprung
    :D:D
    My dustcap topic:
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    :D:D

suicide-monster.gif
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Car tyre manufacture process is very automated, they churn them out by the tens of thousands.

Does anyone recall seeing "Ride of my life" when Rob Penn goes to the Michelin plant to get his tyres and watches them being made? Well, there's a lot of human intervention in the bike tyre manufacturing process.
    That justifies the cost...

/fact
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Car tyre manufacture process is very automated, they churn them out by the tens of thousands.

Does anyone recall seeing "Ride of my life" when Rob Penn goes to the Continental plant to get his tyres and watches them being made? Well, there's a lot of human intervention in the bike tyre manufacturing process.
    That justifies the cost...

/fact
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    my maxxis tyres have lasted me about a year. it'll be time to get some new ones when the high roller 2s come out this months