so who's commuting in the snow?

191011121315»

Comments

• iPete wrote:
    Hi Mr. iPete,

The following items have been packed and are ready for despatch.

2 x Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance Rigid MTB Tyre Black 26x1.75

YYEEEEEESSSSSS! 8)

Where was this from?

thanks
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Went to the supermarket earlier this afternoon to top up the scotch supplies, fastest thing on the frickin' road was me. Does nobody learn how to drive in snow anymore? It's pathetic.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I think it is sensible for drivers of cars without winter tyres to not only not trust themselves to drive fast, but also not to trust the road.
    Since I fitted winter tyres to my car, I have been able to negotiate snow and ice with a lot more confidence.
    And they have been performing better even in the few days we had above-zero temperatures.
    Just like studded tyres for bicycles, they are not essential, but provide you with a great and much appreciated safety margin.
  • bumpitybump
    bumpitybump Posts: 76
    edited December 2010
    Enjoyed the ride in this morning as fairly solid ice and compact snow. My speed around 12 mph, cars speed around 25 mph. Very defined tram lines from the car tyres and the odd car that tried to overtake had to plough through a small wall of ice / snow, get over the other side of the road and over take on the opposite side of the road leaving me tons of space :D . After a few cars had tried this, some of which nearly lost control on the ice as they crossed the centre line of snow / ice , some of the other ones watching decided it was worth staying behind me until it was safe to pass as after all I was nearly going as fast as them anyway. To cap it all I passed a 1 mile stream of stationary traffic joining a roundabout as my studded tyres allowed me to progress up a lane of compacted snow ice that most cars wouldn't touch. Although after seeing me do it a 4x4 decided to follow my line. :lol:

Evening different tale. Slushy ice and loose snow. Tram lines on both sides of road gone, now just a large area between my side of the road and on-coming traffic filled with slush/snow. My speed around 12 mph, cars speed around 35 mph. With no defined "lanes" in the snow I had a constant stream of cars trying to over-take. A significant number of them didn't want to move into the slush area so tried 'squeeze' over-taking unless I moved to a strong 'prime' position. As the cars over-took me their wheels throw slush / snow into my area and I had to keep a close eye out for any more solid lumps of ice. Not as much fun.

Need more snow to slow the cars down.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    God, coming back through Richmond Park was hard work; the back end was all over the place and was made more difficult by having a single pannier with 10kg in it. I was having concentrate all the way. Fun though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    My drop bars seem warmer than flat bars, I think it is because the index fingers shelter the rest of the fingers from the wind,
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    Hi Mr. iPete,

The following items have been packed and are ready for despatch.

2 x Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance Rigid MTB Tyre Black 26x1.75

YYEEEEEESSSSSS! 8)

Where was this from?

thanks

Wiggle but I can only assume I'm getting a pair somebody returned because I was told they are out ot stick till early Jan. Hopefully they'll turn up tomorrow!
  • lucky boy! there website still says out of stock (as does everywhere else)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    lucky boy! there website still says out of stock (as does everywhere else)
    someone in the fav winter item thread just mentioned wiggle dispatching theirs too...
    Hat + Beard
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Riding home through Deptford last night I had just finished a lively debate with a lorry driver about him cutting across the cycle lane and as I rode off, thwack! I took a snowball right on the helmet (cycle helmet).
    Hoping it was some yoofs who might stand their ground I turned round to go back but saw 2 kids about 10-12 years old legging it! To be fair (and with hindsight) it was bloody good shot but I was right in the mood for lamping someone. :evil:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Fornicate me it was cold this morning!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Riding home through Deptford last night I had just finished a lively debate with a lorry driver about him cutting across the cycle lane and as I rode off, thwack! I took a snowball right on the helmet (cycle helmet).
    Hoping it was some yoofs who might stand their ground I turned round to go back but saw 2 kids about 10-12 years old legging it! To be fair (and with hindsight) it was bloody good shot but I was right in the mood for lamping someone. :evil:

was this just as you pass the triple set of lights at the surrey quays one way system? saw someone get hit with a belter just ahead of me along there last friday. was young kids but I could tell they were re-grouping so I sped up and got the hell out of there.

It's the kind of thing that'd make me boil with rage but tbh my friends and I were much worse than that growing up (in basildon, which should be all the explanation needed) so I'd probably just swear under my breath and carry on as kids will be kids.
    Hat + Beard
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Didn't ride in this morning; yesterday just took too much out of me really. Work up whis morning and I feel knackered.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hatbeard wrote:
    someone in the fav winter item thread just mentioned wiggle dispatching theirs too...

sent them an email and got a reply telling me they have none in stock, must have just some how got hold of a few and sent them to existing orders.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    hatbeard wrote:
    was this just as you pass the triple set of lights at the surrey quays one way system? saw someone get hit with a belter just ahead of me along there last friday. was young kids but I could tell they were re-grouping so I sped up and got the hell out of there.

It's the kind of thing that'd make me boil with rage but tbh my friends and I were much worse than that growing up (in basildon, which should be all the explanation needed) so I'd probably just swear under my breath and carry on as kids will be kids.

No, it was a little further along, not sure if it's a bridge over a line but feels something like that.

As kids we used to hide behind someones front wall then one of us would go up and ring the door bell. When they answered they got 20 incoming snowballs and 20 kids doing a well executed starburst!
    One of us got caught once (muppet was wearing wellies) and got a smack on the nose for his troubles - that just made the game more exciting!!

Let he who has not sinned cast the first snowball......
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I wussed out yesterday, which made today's ride in all the more enjoyable, even if I did have to walk the first 1/3 mile to get to a de-iced road
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    Have really enjoyed the snow commutes but once a week I need my car for my work during the day. Scraped a weeks worth of snow off, went to start it up and nothing. Battery was flat. Jump started and it's been fine again but should I be turning it over every few days. It's a 08 plate so it's not as if it's an old battery.
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Butterd2 wrote:
    thwack! I took a snowball right on the helmet (cycle helmet).
    To be fair (and with hindsight) it was bloody good shot but I was right in the mood for lamping someone. :evil:

A yoof in WsM got nicked for doing likewise yesterday

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Boy ... ticle.html

I was on the bike today for the first time since the snow on monday/tuesday, though I was out in the snow as it fell on monday for an hour. The first half hour was OK but the second was much slower due to the cars taking it easy and the fact I dropped the psi in my tyres a bit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    hatbeard wrote:

sent them an email and got a reply telling me they have none in stock, must have just some how got hold of a few and sent them to existing orders.

Yup think I got super happy, so good to have them at last, shame most of the ice and snow has melted for now :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    iPete wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Yup think I got super happy, so good to have them at last, shame most of the ice and snow has melted for now :lol:
    Come up north, we still have plenty snow. And more is forecast for boxing day.
  • I am ! for sure! I lived in Berlin, Germany a couple of years ago and the public transportation went on strike for almost two months in the coldest months. We HAD to ride our bikes to work then. Actually it wasn't SO bad. Now that it's a crazy winter in Europe I'm not so sure what I would have done if I still lived there. Probably would take my bikes on the tram/U-Bahn(metro) and then commute some of the way.
    Spam sig deleted.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    suzyb wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Come up north, we still have plenty snow. And more is forecast for boxing day.
    Back with a vengance today, another 2" and more on the way.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.