so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Day 14 and the snow still hasn't stopped me
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Me, Im doing it and LOVING it, tho I have ordered some studded tyres as the canal bank has gonr from compacted snow (great to ride on) to sheet ice, feels like bambi to ride on.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Took the long way home last night, the snow is still significant out near biggin hill. Might have been a bit scary in full snow fall with the hills etc. All the cycle lanes are still covered and it's significantly colder
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    gb155 wrote:
    Me, Im doing it and LOVING it, tho I have ordered some studded tyres as the canal bank has gonr from compacted snow (great to ride on) to sheet ice, feels like bambi to ride on.

Gaz - just had a look at your sig / blog and blown away! Awesome effort!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hfidgen wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Gaz - just had a look at your sig / blog and blown away! Awesome effort!

+1
    You've lost over twice what I weigh :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Ah, the sun the sun!

It's summertime in the city of London, well it looks like it, it doesn't feel like it 8) 8)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @Gaz - Always inspiring. Looking good. 8)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gb155
    Cheers guys

Your comments are always I appreciated

I am LOV'in the new life.....:D

• Oh for Gods' sake, stop encouraging the guy.

He gave birth to triplets and had a big dump. I don't know what all the fuss is about. :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gb155
    Oh for Gods' sake, stop encouraging the guy.

He gave birth to triplets and had a big dump. I don't know what all the fuss is about. :roll:

Big Dump ????????

How dare you !!!!!!

It was HUGE !!!!!! :)

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Spent a couple of hours digging out the unmelted snow from the road, it felt like a revenge attack after it knocked me off yesterday.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Right.

Latest news on the weather front...

xggvp5.jpg

Please note how confident the temperatures are for the 17th....

aaaand a nice picture to scare the Scots:

w6zckw.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • aaaand a nice picture to scare the Scots:

And the English in Scotland.

The snow still hasn't gone from my commute yet - but then I guess I have one of the highest and most northerly commutes.

I'm soooo glad I bought winter tyres for the cars this year
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Right.

Latest news on the weather front...

xggvp5.jpg

Please note how confident the temperatures are for the 17th....

aaaand a nice picture to scare the Scots:

w6zckw.jpg

Cool* pic Kieren, where did you get it ?

Somewhere on the Met office I guess?

*Boom boom
  • It's a guy on Scoobynet who is supplying them. I figure with our greater reliance on the weather for safe commutes it would be of use over here.

Latest chart:

h850t850eu.png
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was more than a little surprised this morning to see snow still in some of the fields.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Not going anywhere yet, not until this fog clears there's no way i'm being taken out by a SMIDSY.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794

Same here. They were on offer at Kwikfit: £400 for a set of 4 x Conti WinterContact TS830 (205/55R16) which normally retail at just under £600.

The handling, even at just above freezing temperatures, is way better then the set of summer tyres we had.
  • fnegroni wrote:

Same here. They were on offer at Kwikfit: £400 for a set of 4 x Conti WinterContact TS830 (205/55R16) which normally retail at just under £600.

As with Ice Spikers on the bike, winter bike cloting etc, they've enabled me to "engineer" my way through the elements. After fitting a set of very expensive Michelin Pilot Alpins to the old E Class Merc (which had been utterly useless in last winter's snow) in order to make sure I can get my son backwards and forwards to Glasgow (180 miles each way through the Highlands) for chemo, I was so impressed, I'm fitting a set of the Contis like yours to the Alfa 156. Ironically, the tyres were stuck in Glasgow because of the snow as were the old alloys I bought to fit them to!

I've been really impressed with my Assos Airjack Ltd too - at -1C the fronts of my arms (with nothing but the jacket protecting them) stay warm whilst I can feel the cooling effect at the rear. My body, with my summer ShuttVR SS jersey underlayer, is actually too warm at this temperature.

I love to be able to "ignore" the weather and just be able to get on with what I need to do.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fnegroni
    I love to be able to "ignore" the weather and just be able to get on with what I need to do.

+1
  • Was about to go out for a quick lunchtime blast when it appears to have started snowing...again. The paths and sideroads had only just become reasonably safe to ride on too... :(
  • fnegroni
    I predict the sales of Marathon Winter/Ice Spiker/Snow Stud to go up next year...
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    fnegroni wrote:
    I predict the sales of Marathon Winter/Ice Spiker/Snow Stud to go up next year...

They'd have gone up this year if they'd bother to make enough of them :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • It was daft because you couldn't get enough this spring. The Strathpuffer folk were scouring Europe for sets.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Wiggle has Ice Spikers in stock and 20% off for 24hrs

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ice-sp ... -mtb-tyre/

Yup - though for whatever reason, Wiggle stuff is taking forever to get to me at the moment (Ice Spiker Pros were dispatched 10 days ago & I haven't seen them yet), Colleague in Ediburgh was saying the same.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Wiggle has Ice Spikers in stock and 20% off for 24hrs

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ice-sp ... -mtb-tyre/

Yup unsurprisingly out of stock till mid january now :)
  • Well they let me down on my Ice Spiker Pros. Ordered early Nov. Were meant to have stock mid-Dec - checked early Dec and was told that's when they were still due. Just been told early Jan! Ordered them from Action Sports in Germany - saved 7 quid and they'll be here next week.
  • I'm not going to say I told you so, but I did.

Not that I'm saying that of course.

but I did.

On Monday.

Check if you like.

about that thing I'm not telling I told you so about
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X