so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm not going to enter the helmet debate cos it's happening over there
    >
    Debate? I don't think there's a debate going on... I was just pointing out the error in a previous post, lest others be misled. A couple of people (yourself included, I thought) seemed to have misunderstood my earlier post so I thought perhaps I should clarify.
    I fell off in my helmet and didn't hit my head either - which only goes to show I shouldn't have bothered wearing it ...

Exactly. Thank-you. Glad you weren't hurt.

As you were, everyone, sorry to butt in! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
    [edit: quoty typo]
  • cyclopsbiker

Yes, that was me (I think - the whole day is a bit of a haze). Thank you so so much for stopping and helping. That was very kind and it's amazing that lots of people helped. I'm absolutely fine thanks to you.

I'm not sure what happened but I guess I was really lucky as nothing is broken (or even really cut) and my bike even looks fine. I guess that's the silver lining to falling and sliding on ice.

I've been commuting for ten years in London and never missed a day for the weather (even did a paper round in snowy Derbyshire as a kid) and have never come off like that before. Don't stop cycling but however experienced you are, try and avoid getting complacent as I did.....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I fell off in my helmet and didn't hit my head either - which only goes to show I shouldn't have bothered wearing it ...

Exactly. Thank-you

In other news, gunman misses target, proves bullet proof vests to be useless.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mrs A banned me from riding this morning. Apparently she was quite concerned about me on my home last night, whilst I was having fun.

Same here.

Hang on, my wife banned you from riding?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ah the Richmond swingers eh! how 70s

got palms planted in the front garden have we :wink:

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mrs A banned me from riding this morning. Apparently she was quite concerned about me on my home last night, whilst I was having fun.

Same here.

Hang on, my wife banned you from riding?

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Nails over in Copenhagen

5217375680_47d4a91cd0_z.jpg

5217375286_54eec3282d_z.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    I too came off on Monday morning. My first!

30ft of my journey to go and, "whoops a daisy" black ice.

Wasnt going very fast thankfully.
    Got some cosmetic damage to the STI's, pedal & handle bar & grazed my thigh quite badly which im now on antibiotics for. :/

Could have been worse. Didnt bang my head thankfully, and dont have a helmet, but im getting one asap.

Gutted about the damage to bike and thermal tights! :(
    Also mobility is restricted, so my new training regime has been hampered!

Oh and my van broke aswell.

What a week!
  • itboffin
    snowing again :cry:
  • no one else loving the snow then? yes compacted snow/ice is a wee bit tricky but fine.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    no one else loving the snow then? yes compacted snow/ice is a wee bit tricky but fine.
    It's been snowing for nine days here, I'm still loving it, today was special because it was so damn cold this morning.

Those Copenhagen shots are basically the conditions I've endured all week.

It would be better if any studded tyres were available o this sceptic isle.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I thought id see how my fixie held up in the snow today, roads have been ok really so went off road for a bit.

WOW it was great fun and the snow is coming quite heavy now so my commute tomorrow could be fun :)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    andy83 wrote:
    I thought id see how my fixie held up in the snow today, roads have been ok really so went off road for a bit.

WOW it was great fun and the snow is coming quite heavy now so my commute tomorrow could be fun :)

Nice to see another 2nd District - I've only had mine for 2 weeks and due to the poor roads and having a cold I've only had 1 ride on it, no commutes yet but hopefully it's maiden one will be Tuesday. Will be SS at first as I'm v.wary of fixed in traffic : have you found it is better or worse running fixed on snowy roads ?
  • andy83 wrote:

i've been commuting on a Revolution track bike, set to SS but it's 25mm tyres have been fine though snow, if you have the balance ice is doable helps if the road is quiet so can travel dead slow, big lumps of paint are quite tricky.

the big issue is lack of clearance for mudguards on the front.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Last nights rain has washed most of the fun away; fairly boring commute in this morning
  • The rain's got rid of everything round my way (west of Shepherds Bush to Soho). Just a standard damp road ride in, rather than anything interesting and/or excited. I guess I should be pleased that it didn't all turn to ice.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I hope the snows stays away. Snows great for the kids, but, hey, I need those miles...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Snow's still here, supposed to be more tonight. Saturday was the first day in 10 it didn't snow.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Just. No.

Not today.

it's -9 at my house and at work. It's gone below -10 on the way in, and my boss registered -14 on his car on the way in from his.

The ice on my road was 2" thick, there were great chunks of it off the driving line, so this dod not auger well for the back roads.

I had my work laptop at home with me and the chances of coming a cropper and smashing it up were way too high to take a chance.

I'm not sure if my thermal gear would be enough at the temps I would face either - there's a real chance of frostbite cycling in this.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    The exposed skin on my face has gone shiny and red
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cold but otherwise fine (aside from forgetting my helmet again).

Not really any ice but sticking to the stud clad MTB to err on the side of caution. The snow has been melting slowly during the day so not really generating any ice. Hardly any frozen puddles even.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    itboffin wrote:
    The exposed skin on my face has gone shiny and red

http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/data/a ... d_nose.asp
    Hat + Beard
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Blizzard for the start of Maryhill Road today. Also noticed at the tunnel under the canal, there are numerous 5-6ft long icicles hanging above the road..... could be a little bit dangerous if one comes loose!!! :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Things looked OK this morning, but I failed to spot a patch of black ice and came a cropper. The only damage was to my Endura jacket, which now has a small tear :(

Falling off a bike is a strange experience, isn't it? You're going along fine, then there's a split second where your brain registers that something isn't quite right, and then you're on the floor.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Cycled in on the Genesis again. Wish I hadn't, to be honest. It was insanely cold, wet and miserable. Blizzard conditions and wet slush. Had to stop every couple of miles to clear the snow off my glasses. My waterproof gloves filled up with water and were like frozen finger-bowls when I arrived. Everything's on a radiator at the moment in the hope that they may at least warm up slightly before I head home.

I know. MTFU. I even had a bloke on a mountain bike try to scalp me. He didn't manage it, though, naturally. :twisted:
  • My bike disappeared from underneath me
    when i pulled up at the lights this morning.

Good job I had the flatties on :) or I'd of been
    on my ar$e with the spds.
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • My disappeared from underneath me
    when i pulled up at the lights this morning.

Good job I had the flatties on :) or I'd of been
    on my ar$e with the spds.
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    How are people in London getting on? Haven't ridden for a week, but tempted to get out later. Roads looked ok.

Will 23mm slick tyres be ok?
    exercise.png
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    TheStone wrote:
    How are people in London getting on? Haven't ridden for a week, but tempted to get out later. Roads looked ok.

Coming from Surrey to West London I think I only saw one bit of ice, in the middle of Richmond Park, and I'm not even sure that was ice.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Asprilla wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Coming from Surrey to West London I think I only saw one bit of ice, in the middle of Richmond Park, and I'm not even sure that was ice.

Absolutely fine today. No snow or ice on the roads, just a load of mush in places where fallen leaves haven't been washed away, and instead have composted on the roads. 28mm slicks were rock solid apart from a slight slide on a manhole cover edge.

Bloody cold legs even with Altura Night Vision bib tights, but a combination of Uniglo HeatTech baselayer, LS jersey and Gore Phantom jacket, and silk glove liners and Lidl winter gloves made sure I was warm on top.

There was a very slight snow squall just before 9, but this semed to have been an isolated incident.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits