so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    @cj: don't forget the toasty bum and back (heated seats) and fingers (vents blowing at them) :mrgreen:

No chance of a lift this evening, is there? You could drop me at the Park (i.e. the start of the fun bit) and I'll be good to go from there. It's a tad out of your way, but you'll have warm toes and a toasty backside (that doesn't read too well, does it?), so you'll be fine. :mrgreen:

If I had brought the big car in, yes - your bike would have slotted into the boot. I'm in the mid life crisis though, so unless I put the roof down (and we'd look spookily ghey, I fear, driving around on a snowy night with the roof down and you in bike gear) we'd have to drag your bike behind the car.

On second thoughts, that sounds fine :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sounds like there is all manner of madnesses going down on SW trains tonight - Waterloo and Vauxhall are messy. Sob.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Seemed like such a good idea this morning didn't it?

Not feeling quite so smug now eh!? :lol:

But seriously be careful it's going to be hellish tonight.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I think I'm leaving the bike here tonight. Couple of post-work warming ales + icy roads = unwise.
  • itboffin
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I think I'm leaving the bike here tonight. Couple of post-work warming ales + icy roads = unwise.

very wise
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    @Greg66 - I replied to your Pm but figure you must have headed off by now. Unto the breach!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    itboffin wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

very wise

Plus more chance of 'not being able to get in to the office' tomorrow. :D
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sounds like there is all manner of madnesses going down on SW trains tonight - Waterloo and Vauxhall are messy. Sob.

Thanks for the heads up. On PT today due to an engagement tonight, was going to jump on the train tomorrow too, but if it's as bad as it was this morning I think I'll fix my gear cable tonight and come in on the bike.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    @Greg66 - I replied to your Pm but figure you must have headed off by now. Unto the breach!

I have slowstickyinternet. You have pm!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I had an absolute ball riding today, deliberately went off piste to save wearing the studs down any more on tarmac. I set a personal worst for 10miles spinning and sliding on packed ice covered with fresh fluffy stuff with a huge grin on my face. Again again
  • As someone who has driven a 9 ton, 30 foot long, 1971 Bedford bus over a mountain range on packed snow/ice, I can tell you that anything will manage in snow if you drive carefully. Drive like an idiot (as many of the Turks who overtook me in Tranits and pickups on that run, and the spun through just trying to get back on the right side of the road will tell you) and you'll end up in the ditch.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • I rode in this morning partly off road which was fun!,I was surprised how grippy the Maxxis Advantages were. The road section was completely empty.
    Rode home off road for 4 miles it was great. The road up to the house was interesting as it was sheet ice tonight!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Pretty easy trip home; middle of the park was a lot of fun though!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Been cycling since Sat, in & out. Gave up on the fixed and had to go mtb. Only fell off once, yet have assisted 5 stuck cars so far.
    Day off tomorrow, will be out in the snow just for fun!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Wussed, cried off karate & drove home in the XC70 - where was all the traffic?? :D

Ice/snow was no problem (off-roadie tyres Greg ;) ), so I purposely went "round the houses" & hills to get home. Almost as fun as the bike but warmer lol

Sorry :oops:
  • What. The. Hell. :shock:

There's 2 foot of snow on the damn' WALL!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    What. The. Hell. :shock:

Pics or it didn't happen
  • itboffin wrote:
    What. The. Hell. :shock:

Pics or it didn't happen

Sorry; random response to sicknewt's photo.

My best mate lives in Sheffield, they're snowed in. At the moment they're deciding which child to eat first. They have 3, so they'll be okay for a week.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock: Whoaa. Glad it's not worse!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Pretty easy trip home; middle of the park was a lot of fun though!

+1. I did this morning's route in reverse. I couple of "Oh sh!t! Tree stump!" moments, but otherwise, all went well.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Had a close call tonight as a Picasso lost it's back end on a bend, I nearly got side swiped. Gets the blood pumping.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    On Wednesday I slowly navigated the treacherous side streets to get to the main London red route roads I use to get to work. These appeared completely clear and I merrily sped on my way until seemingly hitting some black ice in a bus lane. I vaguely remember the road turning and the bike not and then the next thing was waking up in an ambulance.

No lasting damage and great service from the ambulance crew and Lewisham hospital. I'd really like to thank the person who called the ambulance and who apparently held my neck still while waiting but I don't have any contact details, so if it was you, many many thanks.

Only my opinion but however experienced you are, don't get too cocky and wear a helmet (mine now has a chunk missing from the side where my head hit the road)!

Was this by surrey quays? If so the thread titled rider down on here is (well starts out) about you... Lot of us ride the same road.
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    Not really cycling related but I just heard on the TV that one of our villagers is missing whilst out walking and the temp is expect to be -14 tonight, I doubt she'll survive a night in those temps.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I had an absolute ball riding today, deliberately went off piste to save wearing the studs down any more on tarmac. I set a personal worst for 10miles spinning and sliding on packed ice covered with fresh fluffy stuff with a huge grin on my face. Again again

+1

P021210_10.16.jpg

P021210_09.46_%5B01%5D.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock:

Hope she's found and is ok.
  • I have to say that's one of my biggest worries at this time of year. Set off in the dark in temps as low as -11C. I hardly see any other traffic for the first/last 7 miles of my commute. A big "off" or mechanical failure and I could be in a bit of bother if I was hurt. I have 2 mobile phones with me but that assumes I'd be OK to use them. I also carry an emergency foil blanket, merino base layer and featherlite waterproof. But it is a concern
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    Be aware peeps that a phone battery will drain quickly in extreme conditions and mobile coverage if working at all might be weak.

short walkable in an emergency distances just in case, one bonus though a flat tyre makes no difference in fact it'll prob help.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    On Wednesday I slowly navigated the treacherous side streets to get to the main London red route roads I use to get to work. These appeared completely clear and I merrily sped on my way until seemingly hitting some black ice in a bus lane. I vaguely remember the road turning and the bike not and then the next thing was waking up in an ambulance.

No lasting damage and great service from the ambulance crew and Lewisham hospital. I'd really like to thank the person who called the ambulance and who apparently held my neck still while waiting but I don't have any contact details, so if it was you, many many thanks.

Only my opinion but however experienced you are, don't get too cocky and wear a helmet (mine now has a chunk missing from the side where my head hit the road)!

*sigh* It wasn't your head that hit the road... it was your helmet.

Coincidentally, I skidded this morning, too. Front wheel went out on a patch of slushy snow in Edinburgh. Fortunately I wasn't wearing a helmet and therefore my head was completely unharmed....

Cheers,
    W.