so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:

Rub it in mate. Why don't you :P
  • Judging by the reports for the weekend, I need to get my shopping done early Saturday and hibernate after that.

So instead I'll take me and my camera out for a spin and see what the country lanes are like when it's snowing heavily. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • 4-5" of snow back at home (that'll be 4-5" of "Light Snow" that the BBC forecast :roll: ). None down here in Glasgow.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Fanfrickingtastic run in this morning through the snow, glorious sunrise and very few cars. Had a nice chat with an MTBer on the way in, and then whizzed off (he was running rather too slowly for me and his big 'ol tyres were hurling up lumps of stuff).

Oo it were nice. Looking forwards to a blast at lunchtime.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    Very icy riding in this morning, about 4 miles of my route is off road through a country house / park, bloody cold n dark at 6.30am !!! riding my fixie all winter.

MTFU !!!!!
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    there was ice all over the roads this morning. didn't feel like I lost traction once though but can't tell if that's attributable to the marathon winters or just because the ice wasn't that thick.
    Hat + Beard
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    PT this morning as we have the work Xmas do this eve. Did look slippy last night coming back though at about 11.30ish, lots of little puddles that were icing over. Ideal for my slicks, of course :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    snowed heavily on the way home last night, I'm wearing wraparounds and a peaked hat, how exactly was snow still getting in my eyes???
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Weird. Wet and sleety last night, and getting colder, so was expecting an ice rink this morning. But somehow this morning, the roads are almost bone dry with a few small frozen puddles in the gutters. It must have been pretty windy last night to dry everything out in sub-zero temperatures.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    It must have been pretty windy last night to dry everything out in sub-zero temperatures.

It must have got warmer I'd have said. If it had got colder, I'd have been very surprised if it had dried unless the RH% was very low to start with. Cooling air deposits water. Wind can only dry something if it isn't saturated already.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:
    Weird. Wet and sleety last night, and getting colder, so was expecting an ice rink this morning. But somehow this morning, the roads are almost bone dry with a few small frozen puddles in the gutters. It must have been pretty windy last night to dry everything out in sub-zero temperatures.

Yesterday was pretty warm, it was a good 7 degrees colder this morning. And now theres a blizzard :) Its all sticking....will be an interesting ride home tonight!
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Ok so who rode in to London this morning then? I thought it was a pretty pleasant ride, a little cold but nice. Looking out of the window now I'm wishing I'd worn more clothes and my glasses (or even better my snowboarding goggles) . Looks like it might be a hairy run home if this keeps up.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    rjsterry wrote:
    It must have been pretty windy last night to dry everything out in sub-zero temperatures.

It must have got warmer I'd have said. If it had got colder, I'd have been very surprised if it had dried unless the RH% was very low to start with. Cooling air deposits water. Wind can only dry something if it isn't saturated already.

That's quite some fluctuation in one night then. It was sleeting at 6pm, lots of standing water but no sleet at 8pm, then dry and frozen hard (the pea shingle in my garden had 'set' - all frozen together) by 6am.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rjsterry wrote:

on the CS3 near tower bridge there were some impressive ice puddles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hatbeard
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Ok so who rode in to London this morning then? I thought it was a pretty pleasant ride, a little cold but nice. Looking out of the window now I'm wishing I'd worn more clothes and my glasses (or even better my snowboarding goggles) . Looks like it might be a hairy run home if this keeps up.

tonight will be interesting but the roads should be ok as they'll be kept clear by traffic for the most part.

riding without glasses if it's still snowing this hard will be tough, I hit a mini blizzard similiar to how it is now outside bermondsey station on the way home the other week and i struggled to see where I was going and was having to dip my visor to try and keep it out of my eyes, meaning I could only see about 4 feet ahead of me unless i looked up again. wasn't fun at all.
    Hat + Beard
  • dhope
    hatbeard wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

tonight will be interesting but the roads should be ok as they'll be kept clear by traffic for the most part.

riding without glasses if it's still snowing this hard will be tough, I hit a mini blizzard similiar to how it is now outside bermondsey station on the way home the other week and i struggled to see where I was going and was having to dip my visor to try and keep it out of my eyes, meaning I could only see about 4 feet ahead of me unless i looked up again. wasn't fun at all.

On the up side, time to break out the new beardhat, Hatbeard?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hatbeard
    dhope wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

On the up side, time to break out the new beardhat, Hatbeard?

this badboy you mean?

croppedq.png

if I had it with me it would have been. I did try it on under my helmet last night and it's a comfy fit :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    hatbeard wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

I can't ride without glasses full stop (well at any speed anyway) my eyes water like a guest at the Barrymore residence. I've got a nice pair of yellow tint Zeckler wrap around safety glasses that are doing a great job since my faceplant back in August smashed my Oakleys.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • 5271445638_8c167bf9f5_z.jpg

works drinkies last night so had to pick bike up at lunch time.

the shared paths are a bit much for the gearing (80inch) but hopefully will pack down, ice i can deal with on that bike but fresh snow can be too much.
  • My bike, yesterday.
    eaqfbs.jpg
    Cleaned the snow off saddle obviously but the bars were frozen solid.
    I lost my gloves earlier that day; proper hand numbness ensued...turns out steering with elbows on ice is tricky! But possible!...
    Who knew...

I am glad I took the same route home yesterday as I did this evening, as this
    25ku5og.jpg
    was pretty obvious then.
    Today? Obstruction indicated only by a tiny couple of small tan coloured bits prutruding over a foot or snow..

I'd likely have attempted to plow straight through, could have gone bad.

Roads are so chilled at the moment though, the very start of my commute home
    5f54l5.jpg
    is usually filled with hectivity and motorists buzzing me at NSL.
    Today was....Soviet Russia* (in simulacrum)

*In Soviet Russia, cyclist overtakes car!
  • Amazing, all year round I am one of the only people I see in Tavistock on a bike except in summer when the emmits arrive, and yet yesterday, snow and ice and I meet four others :?

Mind you am I the only one who wears a helmet, had lights and was riding with snow tyres :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mind you am I the only one who wears a helmet, had lights and was riding with snow tyres :!:

GoldStarSticker.jpg
  • Thank you, teacher...............
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hi Mr. iPete,

The following items have been packed and are ready for despatch.

2 x Schwalbe Marathon Winter Performance Rigid MTB Tyre Black 26x1.75

YYEEEEEESSSSSS! 8)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Well the roads in SE London were very slippy this morning, I certainly felt the least comfortable on my bike since the snow began. The mixture of salt and slush must have been very close to freezing and felt like the road was covered in a thin film of slime.

I was riding very gently until about half way in when a guy on a blue fixed gear Dolan went past me. "Let him go I" I thought to myself but then he had to go and jump a Red so it was game on. Caught him up but he kept jumping Reds and I still wasn't happy enough to fully open the taps so lost him around Tower Bridge. Shame, he looked like a good rider on a nice bike, no need to RLJ, at least he made me MTFU and pick up the pace though.

As an aside I changed my front brake at the weekend from Avid Shorty canti's which I just could not get set up to some Cane Creek V's. The mismatch with my time trial levers means very little clearance on set up but boy are they powerful! I fear the first time I grab a handful in an emergency I'm just going to fire myself over the handlebars. Whilst nice to have proper brakes again the "anti-lock" nature of the Avids not working was probably more appropriate for current conditions.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    +1 on slimy roads.
    Too many bits of road had shiny patches up ahead that might or might not be ice. Pootled to be on the safe side (still not passed).
    Think I've seen the guy on the Dolan a few times.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hatbeard
    be extra careful on the approach to go around the bus lane on the corner of rotherhithe roundabout guys, there was some seriously bulbous ice blobs along there this morning and any further snow would hide them perfectly. hit some outside surrey quays last time it snowed and I still have no idea how I stayed upright, nasty nasty things.
    Hat + Beard
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Had the Alfine serviced on Thursday and this morning it was a crock of crap. I actually had to stop in the park and spend 30 minutes trying to get it right. I improved things, but it's still not great.

Bloody cowboys.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    My route to work takes in a number of country lanes (with some steep hills), so I've ended up working from home today. On Friday last week it was pretty dodgy. I didn't appreciate what a good job my studded tyres were doing until I had to stop because a car had decided to drive on the wrong side of the road (i.e. straight at me). When I put my foot down I realised it was solid ice. After getting round the car (the driver didn't even acknowledge me or apologise) I carried on for a few hundred metres before losing my nerve (the ice was continuous) and walking for a minute or two.

On the way home I passed a car that had just been wrecked (more like obliterated). Having just spoken to a friend whose dad was in hospital from a car crash I decided that while I can trust myself I was too worried about a car losing control and hitting me. So, I jumped on the train.

Tomorrow I will cycle in, but I'm going to work out a route that involves as much main road and off-road as possible and as little country lane riding as I can get away with.