TDF 2023: Stage 17:- Saint Gervais to Courchevel, 166km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    He just looked at the interviewer when he was how he was and said

‘Fucked’

Didn’t need any more than that.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    So without having seen any of the race, was there a gentleman’s agreement/unwritten rules come into force about waiting for a rider to rejoin the race, especially one in the GC? Or was he just completely blown and couldn’t make it back?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    edited July 2023

So without having seen any of the race, was there a gentleman’s agreement/unwritten rules come into force about waiting for a rider to rejoin the race, especially one in the GC? Or was he just completely blown and couldn’t make it back?

Your final sentence.
    There was no crash, no mechanical, no incident. Just fucked.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    There was a crash but it was at the start of the stage and had no direct impact on Pog getting dropped. From memory Ineos had been pushing hard on the front and he just cracked. JV then put him to the sword by attacking but the damage was already done.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

That's one way to stop Vingegaard. The cunning French. :*

THOMAS VOECKLER!!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Pross said:

There was a crash but it was at the start of the stage and had no direct impact on Pog getting dropped. From memory Ineos had been pushing hard on the front and he just cracked. JV then put him to the sword by attacking but the damage was already done.

Fair, but I had discounted it.
    Maybe it had a bearing but I doubt it. Pog's exact summary - "Fucked".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    ddraver said:

That's one way to stop Vingegaard. The cunning French. :*

THOMAS VOECKLER!!

As I've just suggested in the Lanterne thread, TV Tommy made an entire career out of annoying the peloton by getting out in front of them at the most irritating time...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2023

Completely blown. He wqas dropped. He finished behind Kwaitkowski and Benoot who had been pulling on the front of the GC group.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.

As I've just suggested in the Lanterne thread, TV Tommy made an entire career out of annoying the peloton by getting out in front of them at the most irritating time...

He was faking, saying the moto couldn't go on so that the director's car would ride on the front.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Just saw the highlights.

That accident presumably had something to do with it.

Looked like a bonk but we’ll see.

Really enjoy the consistency with which Jumbo send men up the road to help deeper into the stage.

Doable on the shorter stages.
  • rick_chasey
    Also.

Too. Many. Motos. On. The. Course.

Can easily get rid of a third of them.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Pog said he just couldn't get any energy through, thinks he ate enough but it just wasn't digesting
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Very impressive by vingers. Very patient.
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    RichN95. said:

Pello Bilbao: Inapproriate behaviour (to a spectator)

He should have got bonus seconds

Not disagreeing, but why was he not dealt with as Superman Lopez was? Same thing
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Wasn’t the popular wisdom that Pog struggles in the heat and with altitude? Today was supposedly very hot and climbed to well over 2000m so maybe there is something in that. I still think he’s looked tired for days now though.
  • RichN95.

Not disagreeing, but why was he not dealt with as Superman Lopez was? Same thing

Lopez at the Giro? He wasn't punished either

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/miguel-angel-lopez-escapes-punishment-punching-spectator-stage-20-giro-ditalia-2019-425828
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

Wasn’t the popular wisdom that Pog struggles in the heat and with altitude? Today was supposedly very hot and climbed to well over 2000m so maybe there is something in that. I still think he’s looked tired for days now though.

Not sure it was that hot was it? It was raining at points...

To be honest I think it was too big a pop for that (and I still think a lot of it was mental. If he didn't have enough to attack, what was the point...)
    - @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    edited July 2023
    RichN95. said:
    Pello Bilbao: Inapproriate behaviour (to a spectator)

He should have got bonus seconds

Lopez actually made contact with the spectator who made him crash, slapped him a couple of times, thus was fined. He could have been eliminated but the jury felt his reaction was understandable.

Bilbao just seems to flip the hat off the man, at most maybe tapping him slightly on the head. And I imagine the jury felt his behaviour was similarly understandable.

• Lanterne_Rogue
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

To be honest I think it was too big a pop for that (and I still think a lot of it was mental. If he didn't have enough to attack, what was the point...)
    Adam Blythe reported 31 degrees (proper European degrees, not those weedy American things) at about 2,000m. I think it's fair to say it was pretty warm.

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    RichN95. said:

Lopez at the Giro? He wasn't punished either

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/miguel-angel-lopez-escapes-punishment-punching-spectator-stage-20-giro-ditalia-2019-425828
    Oops. Could’ve sworn he was thrown off the race!

• Lanterne_Rogue
    btw, the Bilbao thing - pretty sure Carlton was just about to say "we don't like to see that kind of thing", and Carlton could not be more wrong about that.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I wouldn't be surprised if Pogacar retires ill in the next couple of days. Lights went properly out today.

Plus he's had a nasty bang to his left knee. That can't have helped either.
    From what Pogacar said after today's stage, it sounds like he wants to be there on Saturday, if only so that he or another of hius team can win the stage.

Bernie Eisel said today he thought Pogacar yesterday had a herpes virus infection, which if Pogacar's immune system is a bit low because of all the riding over the last two weeks, it could cause a couple of days of feeling slightly unwell and of feeling a bit more exhausted than normal.
    So maybe by Saturday, Pogacar will have recovered and he will be a bit more himself.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023

btw, the Bilbao thing - pretty sure Carlton was just about to say "we don't like to see that kind of thing", and Carlton could not be more wrong about that.

The best punch in cycling - Chris Froome. Look at the pain on this T-Rex's face

Although Contador seems to have landed one here.

On Caerphilly Mountain we organise proper fights. (Apparently the fan was Luke Rowe's brother/Dani Rowe's husband, Matt)

• ddraver

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Adam Blythe reported 31 degrees (proper European degrees, not those weedy American things) at about 2,000m. I think it's fair to say it was pretty warm.

Not THAT hot by Alpine Julys though but fair enough. I stand by the second bit tho, this was more than "a bit hot"
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    For all the talk of Pogacar suffering in the heat, he came third in the Vuelta and won three stages in 2019 as first year pro. That's usually the hottest race of the year.

Jumbo have worked him over. He's been used to riding off into the distance since he was twelve. He knows no other way. Jumbo have used that against him. Also barely racing between LBL and the Tour (which he's done for three years now) doesn't seem smart.

Last year he could blame a weak team, but he's now having to come to terms with not just turning up, messing about and winning.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Not THAT hot by Alpine Julys though but fair enough. I stand by the second bit tho, this was more than "a bit hot"
    Oh yeah, I agree with that. It's not just conditions getting to Pog, I think - he really didn't look to be in a good place by the end of the stage.

Btw, quite early on I suggested Vingegaard didn't look that great either - that was just after WVA let the wheel go, and it looked like Jonas didn't close the gap as sharply as he would have earlier in the race. I was obviously totally wrong in that, but part of me now wonders if it was a sign that he already thought Pogacar was struggling a bit, and he was just a bit more relaxed about how he did things at that point in the stage.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited July 2023
    RichN95. said:

For all the talk of Pogacar suffering in the heat, he came third in the Vuelta and won three stages in 2019 as first year pro. That's usually the hottest race of the year.

Jumbo have worked him over. He's been used to riding off into the distance since he was twelve. He knows no other way. Jumbo have used that against him. Also barely racing between LBL and the Tour (which he's done for three years now) doesn't seem smart.

Last year he could blame a weak team, but he's now having to come to terms with not just turning up, messing about and winning.

Completely agree. Everyone says he shouldn't attack as much while everyone also says that while they enjoy it, it's simply foolhardy. Riders like MvdP and Pogacar who have always only ever won and often simply by brute force are the hardest athletes to coach. Their method usually works for them and always used to in the past, so they tend to not listen to any advice on being conservative or careful.

It takes some very painful losses to rethink what you feel like you know.

Sagan learned it by getting beaten quite a bit in 2014 by GVA. His first victory in the Richmond Worlds saw an entirely different Sagan. He was utterly invisible until his decisive attack. Getting beaten by Ciolek in MSR and Kwiatkowski multiple times and then GVA laid down the ground work for the multiple World Championships & the RVV victory he won in a much more patient style.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    I really hope he doesn't start being "careful"

This bloomin obsession cycling has with turning exciting riders into Tejay van fkin Garderen...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He will not beat Vingegaard ever at the Tour without being more prudent. He may not ever beat Vingegaard at the Tour full stop.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023