TDF 2023: Stage 8:- Libourne to Limoges, 201km ***Spoilers***

Stage 8:- Libourne to Limoges, 201km

Saturday, July 8
Start Time 11-30amBST.

The route from Libourne to Limoges is 200.7 kilometres long - flat in the first part, lumpy in the second. The altitude gain of 1,800 metres is moderate, rather than testing, but the final sprint is not flat, which makes it an even more open prospect.
It’s the fourteenth time that a Tour de France stage goes to Limoges.

The stage heads in a North Easterly direction, into the heart of Central France, where the terrain gets ever more hilly and rolling. So, after 125kms of flat, here, there is hardly a metre flat anymore, although the three classified climbs are not hard in themselves.

Final Kms.

Limoges could produce some surprises as the day’s finish will certainly suit the most explosive sprinters, those capable of powering up a short but difficult climb to claim victory.

What to expect.

The pure sprinters will be hoping that the likes of Van der Poel, Van Aert, Pidcock and Girmay don't have any ideas about winning this stage. If they don't, then it may and in a typical tour bunch sprint. If they do, then anything could happen in the final 70Kms. I suspect that these explosive guys will seek to put the pure fast men out the back door, in order to punch up the finishing ramp to take the win.

Libourne

Stage town for the 5th time
Population: 24,430 (Libournais, Libournaises), and 92,000 in the Communauté d'agglomération du Libournais.

Libourne is a commune in the Gironde department in Nouvelle-Aquitaine in southwestern France. It is a sub-prefecture of the department.
It is the wine-making capital of northern Gironde and lies near Saint-Émilion and Pomerol.

LIBOURNE AND CYCLING

After a hiatus of thirty years, Libourne hosted the Tour de France for the fifth time in 2021 and saw the victory of the "third Slovenian", Matej Mohoric, who played off his breakaway companions in the final to sign his second stage victory in this edition, after having won in Le Creusot. The next day, the wine harbour was the starting point of an individual time trial in the vineyards of Saint-Émilion, won with class by Wout van Aert, whereas Tadej Pogacar strenghtened his Yellow Jersey on the eve of Paris. In 1957, for the first visit of the Grande Boucle in town, it was also in a 66 km time trial to Bordeaux (which already passed through Saint-Émilion), that Jacques Anquetil outclassed his opponents and secured his first victory in the Tour de France.

Gastronomy.

Confit de porc libournais
Pork confit is one of the great specialities of the Libourne area. It is similar to enchaud or enchaux, which are common in the Landes. Some believe it is even tastier than goose confit.

lamprey à la Bordelaise

The French name lamproie, like lamprey in English, covers all members of the lamprey family and there are quite a number of members. However, in France, one of the two noted above will be on your menu. The lamprey is a strange and jawless animal, neither a true fish nor an eel. Lampreys are a unique and separate family of freshwater and seawater animals. The lamprey is cooked with leeks, ham, onions, a red Bordeaux wine, and some of the lamprey’s own blood. Lampreys were and are considered a delicacy and depending on the area where this dish is served Cognac or Armagnac will be added for flavour.

Limoges

15 times stage town
Population: 130,500, 207,000 inhabitants in Limoges Métropole.

Limoges is a city and commune, and the prefecture of the Haute-Vienne department in west-central France. It was the administrative capital of the former Limousin region. Situated on the first western foothills of the Massif Central, Limoges is crossed by the river Vienne. The second most populated town in the New Aquitaine region after Bordeaux, a university town, an administrative centre and intermediate services with all the facilities of a regional metropolis. The inhabitants of the city are called the Limougeauds.

LIMOGES AND CYCLING

Lance Armstrong was not always the black sheep of world cycling. In 1995, he was not yet a possible winner of the Tour de France, not yet a cancer survivor. Not yet a doping survivor either. Only a gifted American who had won the world title to everyone's surprise in 1993 and a stage of the Tour in Verdun the same year. Detached in the final of this 18th stage in Limoges, the Texan crossed the line, zipped up his jersey and extended a finger towards the sky, then two. A final tribute to his team-mate Fabio Casartelli, who died a few days earlier in the descent of Portet d'Aspet. Since then, the city of porcelain has hosted more starts than finishes. However, in 2016, it was Marcel Kittel who won a stage from Saumur, to the great displeasure of Bryan Coquard, second, who missed his best opportunity to win on the roads of the Tour by a few inches. It was the ninth of the fourteen stage victories of the German sprinter.

Gastronomy.

Pâté aux pommes de terre.

Pâté aux pommes de terre is a savory potato pie originating from the French region of Limousin. It consists of sliced potatoes that are layered with onions, cream, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper in a flaky puff pastry. Before the 18th century, when potatoes were first brought to France, Limousin pie was made with a combination of crème fraîche and regular bread dough.

Clafoutis

Clafoutis (pronounced kla-foo-TEE) is a simple French dessert of fruit, typically cherries, baked in a sweet, custard-like batter. While cherries are traditional, clafoutis is often made with other fruits, such as berries, plums, apricots, or apples.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Could we get an MvdP vs WvA sprint battle for the win here?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

The pure sprinters will be hoping that the likes of Van der Poel, Van Aert, Pidcock and Girmay don't have any ideas about winning this stage. If they don't, then it may and in a typical tour bunch sprint. If they do, then anything could happen in the final 70Kms. I suspect that these explosive guys will seek to put the pure fast men out the back door, in order to punch up the finishing ramp to take the win.

Could we get an MvdP vs WvA sprint battle for the win here?

I'd guess the whole stage is going to be simply van Aert against van der Poel, not just the sprint at the finish, if the duel gets that far.
    Yes there will be some background players who also form part of a successful break - possibly Alaphilippe and/or Asgreen and van Gils.
    Plus any of another two dozen riders, like maybe Trentin, Mohoric, Strong, Haller, Aranburu and Bettiol.
    Maybe van Baarle too, as Jumbo probably want two irons in the fire, so their chances of a stage win (at last!) are higher.
    But basically it should be just vA versus VdP.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

lamprey à la Bordelaise

The French name lamproie, like lamprey in English, covers all members of the lamprey family and there are quite a number of members. ...... The lamprey is cooked with leeks, ham, onions, a red Bordeaux wine, and some of the lamprey’s own blood.

I doubt one can get Lamproie à la Bordelaise easily nowadays as lampreys are on the Red List of Threatened Species. In Europe, only in Scandinavia and the Baltic countries are they still abundant.

King Henry I of England died after eating a 'surfeit' of lampreys, or a gone-off lamprey purposely put on his plate by one of his opponents to poison him, depending which story you believe.
    The legend of the Lambton Worm in County Durham is supposed to be about a lamprey which, after being mistreated, out of revenge grew enormous and behaved like an evil dragon.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Caught the end of the itv coverage today and they have this down for a break with the likes of WvA and MVDP in it.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Will Pedersen make it?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited July 2023
    I'd love to see JA give WvA and MvdP a run for their money today, but from what little I've seen, he hasn't got that top tier puncheur attack fitness back yet that he had a few years ago (before that horrendous crash).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    The Cringe bus is on again....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

I'd love to see JA give WvA and MvdP a run for their money today, but from what little I've seen, he hasn't got that top tier puncheur attack fitness back yet that he had a few years ago (before that horrendous crash).

The finish is nowhere near steep enough for JA. Even MvdP is saying it's for Philipsen if they get there in a bunch.

It's currently looking like everyone wants to get in the break - uncluding Quickstep

Mads P just tried to launch
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Anything happened?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    How frisky has the start been?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby and JHB quite rightly slamming the rip off that is Chateau Petrus. (Gordon Ramsey charging £75 for a thimble full "taster")
    The frightening thing is that it isn't the most expensive Pomerol out there.
  • mididoctors
    Accelerated through the houses
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

The finish is nowhere near steep enough for JA. Even MvdP is saying it's for Philipsen if they get there in a bunch.

It's currently looking like everyone wants to get in the break - uncluding Quickstep

Mads P just tried to launch
    I was thinking more along the lines of of that trio attacking from ~16Km out, up the first of the two cat4s, rather than leaving it to the uphill sprint.

No idea how Mads would be expected to do compared to the trio such an attack.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • blazing_saddles
    Going to be long and arduous battle for the breakaway.
    I reckon at least an hour - probably longer.
  • mididoctors
    You don't want to lose the wheels at this speed ....
  • mididoctors
    Crash
  • mididoctors
    Great cav interview
  • mididoctors
    Tim bowling along
  • mididoctors
    3 away
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Fred Wright said he's targeting this stage
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    r0bh said:

Fred Wright said he's targeting this stage

Unfortunately (for Fred) I've picked him for PTP so he's probably screwed
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    As an early defender of the Lidl jersey, from before it was released into the wild, I'm now sure that it's the best jersey in the peloton. I like the new Astana too, but not for visibility.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    RichN95. said:

As an early defender of the Lidl jersey, from before it was released into the wild, I'm now sure that it's the best jersey in the peloton. I like the new Astana too, but not for visibility.

I'd buy the Astana one. Assuming you can get one with all the ads removed. Just the colour scheme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    That's definitely not the break anyone was expecting. I reckon we'll see some attacks on the final climbs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    A different race could start on the cat 3 ...that said TdC could go a Looooooonnnnnmggggvv way
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

I like the trek too

• mididoctors
    Geology stuff is a good addition by itv
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2023
    Pog has become invisible for the last 2 days
  • mididoctors
    Hello