TDF 2023: Stage 5:- Pau to Laruns, 165km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Well that happened
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Decent last ~25Km that, GC game on!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Lolol epic fail for me...

Caught most of the middle then switched on just to see the result with none of the how/why.

Dagnabbit!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited July 2023
    Quality race day.

More excitement than the whole Giro combined.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Game on? Or game over?
  • mididoctors
    r0bh said:

Game on? Or game over?
    47 sec is not a great head start on Jonas is it .

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    r0bh said:

Game on? Or game over?
    47 sec is not a great head start on Jonas is it .

• rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    Luckily tomorrow is just a day with the Aspin, Tourmalet and an MTF
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Shame there's not another rest day between this stage and the next, given what a day off delivered today.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Cav and other sprinters looking good to be inside cut time?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

Cav and other sprinters looking good to be inside cut time?

18% time limit so they've got to be in around the 42 minute mark by my quick calculations.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Looks like we'll be scraping around for jeopardy in the fight for stage wins and minor jerseys.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Cav and Jakobsen just crossed the line. 8 or 9 mins to spare
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Cav and Jakobsen made it comfortably inside the time limit.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Final bunch roll in with plenty of time in hand. Jakobsen seems to have recovered a little during the day - a bit stiff this morning, perhaps?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    gsk82 said:

Looks like we'll be scraping around for jeopardy in the fight for stage wins and minor jerseys.

You think Hindley already has the race won?
  • mididoctors
    Lol
  • mididoctors
    I liked pog interview. Didn't sugar coat it . Didn't looked embarrassed or anything
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Judging from Gall's attack I assume he's a Froome fan.
  • mididoctors
    That was quite the stage
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

That was quite the stage

Good fun. Vingegaard didn't come to play
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    "I didn't come to put socks on a centipede"
  • mididoctors

That was quite the stage

Good fun. Vingegaard didn't come to play
    Should UAE just bluffed it more

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    One saving grace for this race is that Pogacar is not going to go down without a fight. If, big if I know, he can stay within reasonable distance on GC into the final week he's going to go all in rather than ride for a podium place. Another big if, but if Vingegaard and Vine are close on GC having to fight each other and react to Pogacar could be entertaining.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors

One saving grace for this race is that Pogacar is not going to go down without a fight. If, big if I know, he can stay within reasonable distance on GC into the final week he's going to go all in rather than ride for a podium place. Another big if, but if Vingegaard and Vine are close on GC having to fight each other and react to Pogacar could be entertaining.

Yeah pog may create chaos
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    mrb123 said:

Judging from Gall's attack I assume he's a Froome fan.

I realise you aren't being serious, but in an interview a couple of years ago Gall said he had no cyclist role model.
    He said who he most admired was Arnold Schwarzenegger (!) for all Schwarzenegger had achieved from relatively humble beginnings.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Pross said:

Pog's group should be pulling time back but they aren't.

Group probably expects Yates to work exclusively and 1 on 1 Yates against Vingegaard doesn't get you anywhere.
    Fantastic job by Vingegaard, surprisingly weak by Pogacar today, considering the (meager) length of the climb.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    I guess we can expect Yates to be trying to get down the road then
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448

I'd be extremely surprised if Vine is close to Vingegaard on GC.