TDF 2023: Stage 2:– Vitoria-Gasteiz to San Sebastian, 209km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    It’s always going to be an issue if you’re there chasing stages for a rider other than your GC leader. It worked OK for Sky in 2012 but that was a rarity.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

It’s always going to be an issue if you’re there chasing stages for a rider other than your GC leader. It worked OK for Sky in 2012 but that was a rarity.

The 'Wiggins lead out Cavendish' narrative is a bit of revisionist history. In reality Cavendish spent most of the race frustrated as Sky wouldn't help him. Wiggins did a lead out on stage 19 with only a TT left, a two minute advantage and a teammate in 2nd place.

Interesting Cavendish now regularly says that two was the highlight of his career. I don't think he thought that at the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    edited July 2023
    There is virtue in giving WvA a turn for the team cohesion required to win this bl00dy insane race ...it's not strictly binary . Making a effort EVEN if WVA still came second may remove a lot of rancour and stress
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2023
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The 'Wiggins lead out Cavendish' narrative is a bit of revisionist history. In reality Cavendish spent most of the race frustrated as Sky wouldn't help him. Wiggins did a lead out on stage 19 with only a TT left, a two minute advantage and a teammate in 2nd place.

Interesting Cavendish now regularly says that two was the highlight of his career. I don't think he thought that at the time.
    I suppose the difference was Wiggins wasn't expecting cav to pull on the plache de belle fille
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    It's not clear if this really is a divisive thing anyway ...they are all pros
  • mididoctors
    Didn't UAE get under jumbos skin lady year for the first week..
    Cobbled stage etc.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

He won 3 stages, crashed on another and had a few classed as flat that had climbs which were a bit too much for him. On one of the supposed sprint stages they managed to get EBH on the podium from a break behind Sagan and Canc. I didn’t mention leadouts just that they managed to win sprint stages despite being there for the GC.
  • RichN95.

There is virtue in giving WvA a turn for the team cohesion required to win this bl00dy insane race ...it's not strictly binary . Making a effort EVEN if WVA still came second may remove a lot of rancour and stress

The problem is that it brings bonus seconds into play for Pogacar. He's already taken eleven seconds. Without the Yateses and Lafay it could have been another 12. It doesn't make sense for Vingegaard to work in Pogacar's interests.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    RichN95. said:

The problem is that it brings bonus seconds into play for Pogacar. He's already taken eleven seconds. Without the Yateses and Lafay it could have been another 12. It doesn't make sense for Vingegaard to work in Pogacar's interests.
    He won't even work in WVA's interests, never mind Pogacar's. :D
    The look on his face in the Netflix documentary, when the team was celebrating WVA's stage win seems to me to have taken on a greater significance, today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

<
    The look on his face in the Netflix documentary, when the team was celebrating WVA's stage win seems to me to have taken on a greater significance, today.

Yeah, but that's Netflix editing. Who knows how much of it was true? As Geraint Thomas observed, they made it look as though he was in a battle for the podium with Gaudu, but in reality he beat him by six minutes.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423
    Bonus seconds were already in play for Pog though weren't they. A happy WvA with a win for the sake of an extra 2 bonus seconds for Pog seems like a reasonable trade
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    r0bh said:

Bonus seconds were already in play for Pog though weren't they. A happy WvA with a win for the sake of an extra 2 bonus seconds for Pog seems like a reasonable trade

But if Yateses/Lafay had been caught and the sprints had remained the same, Pogacar would be 19 seconds ahead of him by now.
    For all we know Van Aert agrees he shouldn't do anything for him.

If he wanted to win he could have attacked and left the chasing to others. Who was going to chase? But he didn't.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Yebbut WvA will leave (child #2 don't hang in there too long) before the end of the race so JV got a rel complicated script this year for their streamer buddies.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2023
    It should also be noted that Tiesj Benoot was still in the front group. Maybe he could have done a turn
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RichN95. said:

It should also be noted that Tiesj Benoot was still in the front group. Maybe he could have done a turn

I thought he did at one point.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    One of the ES studio thought Benoot got trapped near the back when another of them mentioned he was in there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    r0bh said:

Pog taking the mick out of WvA's reaction

Missed that, something he did as he crossed the line?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    I'm not sure Wout is a natural team player.#
    I also think that on stages he thinks he can win, he expects the team to work for him with a little support saved for the GC riders.
    He was clearly not at all happy as he crossed the line today.

I also think Jonas doesn't expect to have to work for Wout.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

My memory is always poor. I seem to recall a banker stage into Pau that they completely ignored.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

RichN95. said:

Are we all forgetting his monster efforts on the cobbles and deep into the final week in the mountains?

🙄🙄
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

He did tbf.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, quality finish. Good stage that, and Lafay, what an attack.

Shades of cancellera heading into Compiegne.
  • rick_chasey

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

My memory is always poor. I seem to recall a banker stage into Pau that they completely ignored.

100% and Cav was right to be livid. Why bring him.
  • rick_chasey
    Only saw the highlights but it looked a fast stage too.

Pog mocking WvA’s bottle throw bahaha. Pog will never be mentally broken.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

100% and Cav was right to be livid. Why bring him.

Because people have been referencing him being lead out by Wiggins in 2012 when talking about Vingegaard.
  • blazing_saddles

RichN95. said:

Are we all forgetting his monster efforts on the cobbles and deep into the final week in the mountains?

🙄🙄
    Not sure how you have taken this to be in any way critical of WVA, from my post.
  • rick_chasey
    WvA lost it the same reason he doesn’t do as well as he should in one dayers, which is he tries to solve every tactical situation himself.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2023

WvA lost it the same reason he doesn’t do as well as he should in one dayers, which is he tries to solve every tactical situation himself.

I don’t think that was the case today.
    Not sure how this relates to your previous post either.
  • rick_chasey
    It doesn’t really.

It’s ludicrous of him to expect vingers to pull for him

WvA is a top quality domestique even when he spends a lot of additional energy chasing his own wins

He didn’t ride well tactically today and he’s obviously a bad loser so is blaming people around him in the heat of the moment.