TDF 2023: Stage 2:– Vitoria-Gasteiz to San Sebastian, 209km ***Spoilers***

Stage 2:– Vitoria-Gasteiz to San Sebastian, 209km

Sunday, July 2

Start Time: 11-15amBST.

The longest stage of this Tour is based on the Spanish cycling classic San Sebastian. On the way from Vitoria-Gasteiz to Donostia San Sebastián, the peloton crosses Côte d’Aztiria, Côte d’Alkiza and the famous Jaizkibel climb, albeit from the less difficult side. The Jaizkibel climb, famous from the Donostia San Sebastián Klasikoa, is only 20km from the finish.

Starting inland, the race travels in a a North Eastly direction, over rolling terrain, back to the coast
at Irun, before turning West, over the Jaizkibel and into San Sebastián.

The Climb.

The Jaizkibel is 8.1 kilometres long and averages 5.3%, which is a biased statistic as there is a false flat kilometre halfway.

Final Kms.

At the summit of the Jaizkibel there are 16.5 kilometres remaining. The first half goes down, the second is as good as flat.

What to Expect.

The likely scenario is that the breakaway is reeled in before or on the Jaizkibel and that a reduced peloton sprints for the win in San Sebastián, with the likes of Van der Poel, Van Aert, Alaphilippe, Pedersen, Girmay and Pidcock sprinting for the win.

Vitoria-Gasteiz

One previous stage
Population: 253,572.

Founded at the end of the 12th century, present-day Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital of the Basque Autonomous Community in northern Spain. In the medieval quarter, the Gothic-style Santa María Cathedral features a sculpted facade and towering columns. The 17th-century Plaza de la Virgen Blanca has a monument to the 1813 Battle of Vitoria.

VITORIA-GASTEIZ AND CYCLING

A regular venue for the Tour of the Basque Country and the Vuelta, Vitoria-Gasteiz has already hosted the Tour de France, in 1977, for a stage won by Spaniard José Nazabal after a 110 km solo breakaway. The city has hosted the Vuelta on 21 occasions, mostly in the 1960s. But in the last edition, Vitoria-Gasteiz saw the start of a stage won in Laguardia by Primoz Roglic. The city's most famous cyclist is Joseba Beloki who, although born in Lazcano, some 60 kilometres away, grew up in Vitoria.

Gastronomy.

Perretxikos

These are small mushrooms of the Calocybe gambosa type that proliferate at the end of winter and are one of the key elements of Basque cuisine in spring. In French, they are called "mousserons" (which gave rise to the English word mushroom). Very aromatic, with a pleasant texture, they are the great local culinary speciality until after the first half of May. On their own, in scrambled eggs or omelettes, or to give more flavour to stews, perretxikos are offered on the menus of bistros, taverns and prestigious restaurants.

Goxua

Goxua (which means "sweet" in Basque) is a typical dessert from the Basque Country, especially from Vitoria-Gasteiz. Goxua consists of a base of whipped cream, one layer of sponge cake and a layer of caramelized custard. In the northern part of the Basque Country, it is usually filled with jam. There are two ways to serve goxua: in individual bowls as if it was custard or curd, or the traditional form of cake in a clay pot.

San Sebastian

Stage town for the third time
Population: 187,849.

San Sebastián is a resort town on the Bay of Biscay in Spain’s mountainous Basque Country. It’s known for Playa de la Concha and Playa de Ondarreta, beaches framed by a picturesque bayfront promenade, and world-renowned restaurants helmed by innovative chefs. In its cobblestoned old town (Parte Vieja), upscale shops neighbor vibrant pintxo bars pairing local wines with bite-size regional specialties.

SAN SEBASTIAN AND CYCLING

San Sebastian hosted the Grand Départ of the Tour de France in 1992 with a prologue won by Miguel Indurain, while Frenchman Dominique Arnould won the first stage around the city the following day. In 1949, for the Tour's first visit to Spain, another Frenchman, Louis Caput, won in town. In 1997, the world championships held there were particularly successful for French cycling, with Laurent Brochard winning the road race and Laurent Jalabert the time trial. Jeannie Longo won the women's time trial. The seaside resort is mainly known to today's riders as the home of Spain's biggest classic, the Clasica San Sebastian, which has been held there every August since 1981.

Gastronomy.

Kokotxa

Almost all of San Sebastian's most typical dishes come from the sea, such as kokotxa or hake jowl in green sauce. The kokotxa is the base of the lower part of the hake's chin, the word meaning chin in Basque. It is usually prepared with chopped garlic cloves, parsley and olive oil in an earthenware casserole, simmered and not browned, and salt is added. After removing it from the heat, the gelatine is removed by moving it back and forth. This must be done at least twice so that all the gelatine comes out and the sauce thickens. The dish is usually served very hot in the same cazuela.

Anchovies à la Donostiarra

A recipe typical of May or June, when the best anchovy in the world passes the Basque coast, Anchovies à la Donostiarra unlike the vinegar-marinated white “boquerone” style of anchovies, are fried in olive oil “a la Donostiarra” with garlic and cayenne pepper.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Thanks for the TdF stage threads @blazing_saddles

Always a great addition to the Grand Tours!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    Don't think I'll be trying to recreate today's recipes.
  • kingstongraham
    Feels like the expected classics riders will make it to the finish today - but Girmay looked in trouble over the penultimate climb yesterday which means he might struggle with the last one today as well.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

Feels like the expected classics riders will make it to the finish today - but Girmay looked in trouble over the penultimate climb yesterday which means he might struggle with the last one today as well.

Depends how hard they ride the Jaizkibel and who is clear over the top. It's a longer climb than yesterday's final one, and there's not a lot of time after the descent to organise a chase.
  • kingstongraham
    andyp said:

Depends how hard they ride the Jaizkibel and who is clear over the top. It's a longer climb than yesterday's final one, and there's not a lot of time after the descent to organise a chase.
    It's more like the Vivero climb yesterday - shouldn't be a problem for GC riders, but WVA will surely fancy getting rid of his supposed contenders.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614

🤢🤢
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,394

No love for a bit of hake jowl in a snotty looking sauce?
    I can't imagine why.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,292
    I'll have the anchovies and the custard trifle please.

And a wee look at the wine list.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Going to be a longish battle to get into today’s break.
    UAE may not chase.
  • kingstongraham

No love for a bit of hake jowl in a snotty looking sauce?
    I can't imagine why.
    I'm not confident I could do it justice.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422
    Pog not fancy the bonus ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Still a bit active ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Or not.
    Cavagna EBH and Powless seem to have gained a workable gap
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,239
    Surprised that settled so quick, might just be because of the intermediate sprint coming up
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Powless went in the break to defend Polka Dots, but at 1'42 behind the leader, he is a threat for Yellow today, and presumabley EF's GC hope now Carapaz has gone.
  • tailwindhome
    Why do the Basque fans wear Orange?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Lots involved in the sprint for points.
    Sam Welsford comes out on top.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    UAE leading the chase.
  • mididoctors
    mrfpb said:

Powless went in the break to defend Polka Dots, but at 1'42 behind the leader, he is a threat for Yellow today, and presumabley EF's GC hope now Carapaz has gone.

Maybe UAE would like him in yellow

• mididoctors

Euskadi team orange from wayyyyy back?
  • tailwindhome

Was there a particular reason they wore orange?

Any connection to William of...?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,225
    edited July 2023

Just Euskaltel's corporate colour I think. (Not owned by Orange though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    UAE being left to do all the work
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,214

William of O was a proddie, not sure that protestants made it as far south as Spain.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,036
    All very measured, will it fire up? At all? 85km to go. Had this on the past couple hours while doing a trainer sesh (too windy here so puck pucked out of planned ride) and not much has happened.
  • mididoctors
    UAE and JUMBO. head games
  • mididoctors
    Cav dropped early ... Hmmmmm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

First chance for him tomorrow.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

First chance for him tomorrow.
    Yeah

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    UAE seem to have been arguing amongst themselves since I switched on. No need to chase too hard, let someone else do a bit if they want the stage.