Giro 2023: Stage 20: Tarvisio – Monte Lussari 18.6 km ITT Half Flat, Half Cliff ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Noticed a few fans getting ‘handsy’ already. Hope they haven’t lugged the booze up the hill with them
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2023
    The time cut is 30% for this stage
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    The thinking among the GCN pundits yesterday was that no-one would ride it this morning as just riding the climb would take energy.

Proper showboating from Rex, good stage for the guys at the back.
  • Pross

56'28 from Cav.
    Crossing the line 'high fiving' the crowd

Chilled out about time-cuts then

Was just checking it and just as I was looking TV confirmed 50% allowance. I assume they wanted the lower placed riders to help create an atmosphere as a lot have been doing.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    RichN95. said:

Hatch has just said it's 50%.
  • Pross

Noticed a few fans getting ‘handsy’ already. Hope they haven’t lugged the booze up the hill with them

Certainly lots of pint glasses and they’re going to be mainly supporting Roglic.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Just in. Have I missed anything?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2023
    JimD666 said:

RichN95. said:

He may be right. I was going by the Velofacts calculator. But we can be sure it's not 25%
  • mididoctors
    What's the bike change zone like ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2023

A standard bit of tarmac with some chalk lines on it.. Nothing special.

• Pross

A couple of lines on a wide section of road. They have to change on the left to keep it clear for anyone not changing (only one rider in the first batch I think). No-one knows what the sanction is if the pusher doesn’t stop before the line, even teams don’t know if it is financial or time.

Nothing really missed, just a lot of the back markers taking advantage of the very generous time limit to showboat and enjoy themselves. We’ve only seen the final few hundred metres which is quite technical (up and down, twisty, quite narrow and a rough surface) with a very steep final 100m ramp. Fans could become an issue on the unbarriered section.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2023
    Pross said:

A couple of lines on a wide section of road. They have to change on the left to keep it clear for anyone not changing (only one rider in the first batch I think). No-one knows what the sanction is if the pusher doesn’t stop before the line, even teams don’t know if it is financial or time.

I doubt anyone will bother if someone puts a foot over the line or lets go a split second too late. And no-one is going to take the p!ss
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

A standard bit of tarmac with some chalk lines on it.. Nothing special.

Is it a clown show ?

• mididoctors
    Cheers... Looks fairly orderly ...is the flat section technical?
  • Pross
    They haven’t really shown anything on TV coverage. The biggest issue will be if multiple riders get there at the same time.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Looks super narrow with little efforts to regain lost speed in super tight narrow corners . Might blunt G s bowling gears
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    JimD666 said:

RichN95. said:

When I heard that I thought what’s the point?
    Riders have to struggle through mountain stages to make time cuts and then the get enough leeway to have a picnic on the way up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited May 2023
    Why transfer bike computer mount to mount during the swap, costing seconds in a fumble like Milan had?

Separate computer on each bike's mount, if need be put a separate computer in pocket or simply taped to body under skinsuit, all ANT+ pairings so multiple devices can be paired together.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    I am guessing the point of having this break is get people and vehicles off the mountain for next batch?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Time limit has been increased to 50% according to DK commentary, source Bernie Eiesel
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Pross said:

56'28 from Cav.
    Crossing the line 'high fiving' the crowd

Chilled out about time-cuts then

Was just checking it and just as I was looking TV confirmed 50% allowance. I assume they wanted the lower placed riders to help create an atmosphere as a lot have been doing.
    So unless someone manages 37’40 or thereabouts he’s ok
  • mididoctors
    It's a nice surface but not fast the flat bit
  • Pross
    Even the flat section is a bit technical. Not sure why they’ve put a centre line on a road that is barely the width of a car.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Is there car behind on the flat ?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

JimD666 said:

RichN95. said:

Riders have to struggle through mountain stages to make time cuts and then the get enough leeway to have a picnic on the way up.
    I'm guessing that it's the difference between needing to reopen main roads as opposed to a bike track.
  • Pross
    As a fan, why would you go to watch this stage and choose to stand on the flat section?
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

RichN95. said:

I'm guessing that it's the difference between needing to reopen main roads as opposed to a bike track.
    Has little impact on the race overall giving riders a pass into a processional stage ... If they did it mid race having all the GC going full gas while everyone else went super easy may impact the next day ? Maybe? Or if the attrition of the peloton was not so great ?
  • mididoctors
    I can see these bike change tts being more common adds something to watch on a tt
  • Pross
    Really don’t get why the no hopers for stage or GC are bothering with a bike change. If you have a challenger later on I suppose it allows some practice but in most cases they aren’t riding flat out so just have the ease and comfort of the road bike throughout.