Giro 2023: Stage 20: Tarvisio – Monte Lussari 18.6 km ITT Half Flat, Half Cliff ***Spoilers***

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

Would have been the most logical solution and made it more interesting potentially

Yeah, but difficult for commissaires to monitor and support motos to prepare.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chris_ne
    chris_ne Posts: 20
    Anyone seen a start list with start times?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited May 2023
    chris_ne said:

Anyone seen a start list with start times?

Here you go:

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/start-times-order-2023-giro-ditalia-stage-20-time-trial

The ones that count:

116 Laurens de Plus (Bel) Ineos Grenadiers 16:47:00
    117 Andreas Leknessund (Nor) Team DSM 16:50:00
    118 Lennard Kamna (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 16:53:00
    119 Thymen Arensman (Ned) Ineos Grenadiers 16:56:00
    120 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 16:59:00
    121 Edward Dunbar (Irl) Jayco-AlUla 17:02:00
    122 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain Victorious 17:05:00
    123 Joao Pedro Almeida (Por) UAE Team Emirates 17:08:00
    124 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Jumbo-Visma 17:11:00
    125 Geraint Thomas (GBR) Ineos Grenadiers 17:14:00
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2023
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Would it not have been more straightforward to disallow TT bikes?

Road bikes only

Manufacturers will want their TT bikes on display
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Thanks! Didn’t understand a word. But I get the feeling he was saying this was hard and steep. I’d love to climb that route, can’t wait till today’s stage. Get the feeling there could be a few surprises
  • blazing_saddles
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited May 2023
    Slightly sceptical that a really steep TT will be a good watch.

Seeing the top riders knackered after 3 weeks grovel up some mega gradients on their own, barely over 10kph, isn’t a top spectacle….
  • wavefront
    You’re right about the can of worms. I think hitting power within 1w is do- able on the flat. It’s impossible to be so precise on such a steep climb when you’ll be in / out the saddle which has many switchbacks. A PM may provide some guidance but as amateur cyclists we tend to think the peloton rely more on their PM’s than they actually do. The peloton will be well used to the saying ride with ‘power’ and not ‘to power’.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Stage 20: Tarvisio – Monte Lussari 18.6 km ITT

Start Time: 10-30amBST. Finish Time: 5-30pmBST.

Having not yet seen it, but listening to reports and how the trial has been organised, I am not sure there is a place for such a ludicrous time trial in a Grand Tour.
    The race will be divided into 3 heats starting at 11:30. The interval between the heats will be 50 minutes after the last rider has reached the finish line. Consequently the time trial will take 7 hours to complete.

Anyhow, it's included, so what to say? The route between Tarvisio and the top of Monte Lussari is 18.6 kilometres long. The first part is gently rolling, the second climbs almost 1000 vertical metres, over 7.3 kilometres at an average of 12.3%, to the line. It includes a 5 km section at 15% average.

The Climb.

The climb snakes through the woods on narrow concrete-surfaced roads with many switchbacks. The first 5 kilometres go up at 15% on average. Once out of the forest, the gradient falls to 3.9%, only to ramp back up again after crossing a bridge.

Final Kms.

In the last 1.5 kilometres the gradient jumps to 22%, then back to 8%, while the gradient reaches 16% in the final 150 metres.

What to Expect.

Pain. With the winner being one of the riders contesting the overall, probably the rider who was the strongest on stage 19.

Tarvisio

Tarvisio is a comune (municipality) in the northeastern part of the autonomous Friuli Venezia Giulia region in Italy. The town is in the Canal Valley (Val Canale) between the Carnic Alps and Karawanks ranges in the north and the Julian Alps in the south. Located at the border with both Austria and Slovenia, Tarvisio and its neighbouring municipalities of Arnoldstein and Kranjska Gora form the tripoint of Romance, Germanic and Slavic Europe.
    Tarvisio's roots date back to Roman times. Tarvisio remained a southern exclave of the Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg, until in 1758 the bishop finally sold Tarvisio to the Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. Until 1918 it was part of the Duchy of Carinthia, it received town privileges in 1909.

Lago Fusine is incredibly beautiful, and much less touristy than the more well known Lago di Brais. That area has some wonderful cycling, including the awesome climb of Vrsic with its cobbled corners that was said to have inspired Alp d'Huez with its numbered switchbacks and the Passo Mangart, which I think Pogacar uses regularly.

It's perhaps worth noting that the Planica ski jump centre that Roglic famously trained on is about 10km down the road from the start of this stage, so it's quite possible that he's ridden the climb today before.

• rick_chasey
    wavefront said:

You’re right about the can of worms. I think hitting power within 1w is do- able on the flat. It’s impossible to be so precise on such a steep climb when you’ll be in / out the saddle which has many switchbacks. A PM may provide some guidance but as amateur cyclists we tend to think the peloton rely more on their PM’s than they actually do. The peloton will be well used to the saying ride with ‘power’ and not ‘to power’.
    I think Dan knows a thing or two more than us tbh
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I don't believe anyone can judge their power to within a few watts except possibly on a trainer with constant resistance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    They are pros. Suspect Dan knows more than we do on this.
  • RichN95.

He was a poor time trialist though. Maybe he couldn't realise when he was on a good or bad day like the best TTers and stuck rigidly to powermeter figures.

For example, here's Tom Dumoilin saying he thought his powermeter was broken when he won the Worlds.
    https://cycling.today/tom-dumoulin-i-thought-my-power-meter-was-off-because-it-was-so-high/
  • wavefront

wavefront said:

Fair point that he may have more insight on how pro riders say they ride or get told to ride.

But next time you race, see if you can tell if the guy 45 seconds up the road from you is actually riding to a set power or actually going on feel. And if you’re going slightly over your prescribed 302w but catching him and feeling great, will you drop back to your 302w just to be safe?
  • RichN95.
    A powermeter can tell you that you are doing 400W. It won't tell you how long you can sustain that, or whether you could just as easily sustain 410W
  • blazing_saddles
    I can't help but think that if the winning time is around 42 minutes and the usual time trial cut off of 25% is used today, that a few riders may not make Rome.
    So easy to lose 10 minutes on this beast, if, as many are, badly fatigued.

And we are off....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This house believes that the early coverage on a TT day should follow single riders for longer periods rather than flicking back to someone else coming down the same start ramp.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2023
    So far, the leader by some way at the first check point, is the only rider who didn’t start on a TT bike.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Has the Benny Hill music started at the swap station yet? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2023
    It looks as if we aren’t going to see much of this climb.
    So far we have had only a single shot from the helicopter overhead.

As I wrote this, we get pictures of Milan on the climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    Already we have a gap of 4 and a half minutes between first and second.
  • tailwindhome
    56'28 from Cav.
    Crossing the line 'high fiving' the crowd

Chilled out about time-cuts then
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

• rick_chasey

It looks as if we aren’t going to see much of this climb.
    So far we have had only a single shot from the helicopter overhead.

As I wrote this, we get pictures of Milan on the climb.

Commentators seem to think we’ll get camera motos later on
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Milan milking the crowd and you can’t blame him after the race he’s had.
  • blazing_saddles
    Already over 7 and a half minutes between first and last.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Wouldn’t want to be doing the final 500m making any sort of effort. Very twisty and a rough, bouncy surface not to mention the ramp to the finish. Lucky it’s dry.