Giro 2023: Stage 20: Tarvisio – Monte Lussari 18.6 km ITT Half Flat, Half Cliff ***Spoilers***

15678911»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Properly cool. Shame I don’t like Roglic

I thought you didn't like caleb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I can not like both.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

I can not like both.

Yes only one irrational hate allowed ..it's a rule
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Not sure I agree Thomas rode the best race he could - maybe a bit more ambition could have put time into Roglic earlier in the race.

We don't know of course but if Roglic has been gaining form since the crash maybe there was an opportunity to take advantage before today.

The only thing I can think of is using arensman or deplus to go long in some way ..but team attrition kinda put a dampener on that..
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

I can not like both.

Surely you can have one sprinter and one GC man? Totally different disciplines.
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

I can not like both.

Surely you can have one sprinter and one GC man? Totally different disciplines.
    🤔
  • mididoctors
    I'll send that to the rules committee
  • richys
    richys Posts: 28
    Frankly I find it deeply unsatisfying when GT’s include these silly novelty stages (looking at you too La Vuelta). Just feels like 3 weeks comes down to the roll of a dice.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    richys said:

Frankly I find it deeply unsatisfying when GT’s include these silly novelty stages (looking at you too La Vuelta). Just feels like 3 weeks comes down to the roll of a dice.

"Novelty" is an attempt to mix things up.
    They try this because they have been accused of being boring and predictable. #cantwin
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

I can not like both.

I don't think finding Roglic a bit dull is that irrational... saw someone on Twitter saying they loved all the attacks... obviously a joke since there weren't any.

I really like the guy and I think his overcoming adversity etc is really inspiring. But he's not an exciting rider.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    pblakeney said:

richys said:

"Novelty" is an attempt to mix things up.
    They try this because they have been accused of being boring and predictable. #cantwin
    Yeah but they need to tell those people to get stuffed. If they don't like what cycling is, watch something else...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Even if it is a novelty, the reality is that the top 3 on this novelty stage were the same as the top 3 in the GC overall. After three weeks it's always impressive how the cream rises to the top.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If we are going to have time trials why not one with a steep hill finish ? In the end it wasn't a bad watch as time trials go.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It was no more interesting than any other tt. It's constantly amazing to me that they put this on as the final deciding stage on the weekend.

Whoever said they should have done this before the other mountain stages this week is absolutely right.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

It was no more interesting than any other tt. It's constantly amazing to me that they put this on as the final deciding stage on the weekend.

Whoever said they should have done this before the other mountain stages this week is absolutely right.

Well it's subjective, I thought it was a bit more interesting than a normal TT.

Whether having it on the final weekend is another question- did it affect how the riders approached the previous two stages - possibly - though there's been very little ambition shown in the 3 weeks. For me Ineos have missed an opportunity here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023

Well it's subjective, I thought it was a bit more interesting than a normal TT.

Whether having it on the final weekend is another question- did it affect how the riders approached the previous two stages - possibly - though there's been very little ambition shown in the 3 weeks. For me Ineos have missed an opportunity here.
    I thought the format and the bike change zone was good ...I am mixed on the placement of the stage in context with the race .. if the TT had swapped days with stage 19 and roglic had to defend 14 secs say... It would be a more do or die mountain stage. otoh this did produce high drama .. I like some of the innovative. The ability to create parcours that produce big time gaps WHICH ARE REVERSIBLE is very hard given how close all the riders are now . Tactics and taking draft are supreme now in riders thinking ... It's just too risky attacking often times . Especially if remco and pog ain't there . This was a subtle race at times . Ineos may have missed a trick with arensman in hindsight.

I think parcours need to offer pay offs for risk taking on GC more ... Maybe use of time bonus spread strategically or some such . Needs thought . I liked how orderly the bike change zone was even if it lead to high fives at the finish line ...to much triathlon energy for my boomer sensibilities.. de marchi grabbing a flag too I heard
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It was just a time trial. The novelty factor was really just in holding it on such an inaccessible climb. The result was basically a reflection of the race, if it was a genuine novelty there’d have been some upsets. Pretty sure everyone got through it unscathed and Roglic’s minor mechanical was about the only issue I saw.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    It wasn't really helped as a spectacle by the lack of cameras and too few timing updates on screen. It wouldn't have killed the budget to have timing mats every km up there with a rolling ticker on screen and one at the bike change too.

2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)