Giro 2023: Stage 20: Tarvisio – Monte Lussari 18.6 km ITT Half Flat, Half Cliff ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Well dispite being a flawed giro you'll remember it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

SEP kuss looks like a thunderbird jerry Anderson character

He doesn’t sound American either, more like an East European who has learned ‘American’ English
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross said:

zest28 said:

Roglic gave Thomas the Pogacar treatment. Letting Thomas race in 1st place for weeks and take it on the last day.

Yeah, of course he did. No rider is deliberately giving their opponent a 24” lead into the final proper stage.
    Based on previous form isn't it worth ignoring this poster entirely?

Obviously Roglic wanted to be in the leaders jersey...
  • mididoctors

G's age catching up with him there I reckon 😪

G rode a perfect race to maximise his ability ... Ineos RODE FANTASTICALLY. he came 2nd in that tt
    Not knocking him at all, just the accumulated fatigue will have affected him more than a few years ago
    True

He rode as good a race as he could
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    “At least he smashed me” great response. Blythe really didn’t want to ask the question
  • mididoctors
    TGH would have won
  • mididoctors
    Great interview
  • Pross
    “What is it with the Gees in the race coming second” :lol:
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    G - "I'm on the piss for the next few months!" 😂
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Were any Giros closer than that?

1948 - 11 seconds
    Surprising for that era
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    "What is it with G's finishing 2nd in this race?" 🤣
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited May 2023
    The perfect, mega steep ITT, virtually on home Roglic soil was always going to be a bridge too far for Geraint.
    Roglic has now won a GT without making a single, time gaining attack. (unless you count his 3 second sprint)
    Overall, a deadly dull affair.
    The RCS need to take a long hard look at how they put this race together. Back loading to this extent isn't working. Fewer huge mountains and more rolling terrain which favours attacking must be the way forward.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I reckon that bit of extra effort at the end yesterday may have done the damage there.

I saw somewhere if he had just ridden defensive pace roglic would have gained an extra sec because cort would have been caught .roglic sprints gets time bonus and dispite g finishing with no time gaps loses 4 secs
    Don’t see how they catch Cort if Geraint hadn’t tried to attach, it was that which pulled him back.
    Yeah I was dubious too
  • mididoctors

The perfect, mega steep ITT, virtually on home Roglic soil was always going to be a bridge too far for Geraint.
    Roglic has now won a GT without making a single, time gaining attack. (unless you count his 3 second sprint)
    The RCS need to take a long hard look at how they put this race together. Back loading to this extent isn't working. Fewer huge mountains and more rolling terrain which favours attacking must be the way forward.

Whole race was attritional
  • Pross

All anyone will remember is that the race lead changed hand by a few seconds on the final stage which will turn it into an exciting race. Basically the way to get a close finish in a GT seems to be to make it boring so no-one gains big time early.

Good timing to wear pink for the first time in your career.
  • bobmcstuff
    Very classy from G in the interview. Hats off to the guy, I'd be fuming lol.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

The fact he doesn't go around kicking puppies or slashing the tyres on the JV bus on these occasions might be exactly why people always underestimate him.
  • mididoctors
    I thought a lot teams rode well .... It got super tactical everywhere .

The dumbest tactical moment was pinot but it was kinda entertaining too
  • mididoctors

Class act and gets better
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643

The fact he doesn't go around kicking puppies or slashing the tyres on the JV bus on these occasions might be exactly why people always underestimate him.
    Got to be absolutely mentally nails to be able to prepare and then race like he does and then also have perspective.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    ddraver said:

Hatch somehow managed to say Nicole Cook wrong...

ddraver said:

Well you keep typing Gee when you mean G, so back off dude!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    Decent TT. Much more interesting than the usual ones.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Well you keep typing Gee when you mean G, so back off dude!
    Well, yeah. I mean Gee, not Gee
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Obviously I've no way of verifying this from Twitter

But sharing anyway

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    And just caught up with the stage. Jings. Good watch. Well done Primož, tough on G.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited May 2023

Obviously I've no way of verifying this from Twitter

But sharing anyway

I was just coming on to post that. Very cool if true. Lots of people saying it is so below.
  • bobmcstuff
    Apparently most of the Slovenian ski jumping team was on the climb supporting so it's very credible
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Properly cool. Shame I don’t like Roglic
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Not sure I agree Thomas rode the best race he could - maybe a bit more ambition could have put time into Roglic earlier in the race.

We don't know of course but if Roglic has been gaining form since the crash maybe there was an opportunity to take advantage before today.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]