Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 11: Camaiore - Tortona, 219 km - Interesting ***SPOILERS***

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,801
edited May 2023 in Pro race

Hmmm long day again with launch pads

If it's a sprint 90 degree turn at 400 to go should be a bunfight.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I am guessing rain again?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors

I am guessing rain again?

possible cross tail winds latter half of stage apparently.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,067
    Quickstep down to 3: Ballerini, Serry, and Van Wilder
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    red.rider said:

Quickstep down to 3: Ballerini, Serry, and Van Wilder

They'll be rattling round the team bus. Hopefully the 4 withdrawals today from the team will be it now.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,639
    Will be a sad moment as the peloton go over the Passo del Brocco today, site of the death of Wouter Weylandt
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Will be a sad moment as the peloton go over the Passo del Brocco today, site of the death of Wouter Weylandt

12 years. Feels both like yesterday and another era.
  • mididoctors
    Soft break full of corretec riders
  • mididoctors
    208 k to go
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308

Punishment duty for Stojnic for letting the maglia nera slip yesterday
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors

• mididoctors

Punishment duty for Stojnic for letting the maglia nera slip yesterday
    Makes sense
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    I'm a bit late with this, but anyway.

The longest stage of this year's Giro leads from the Tuscan coast through Liguria to Piedmont. On the way there are three categorized climbs and two intermediate sprints.

It is likely to be a stage like yesterday's in the sense that a break will form but which won't be expected to survive to the finish, while the GC-contenders stay in the background. The stage suits action by the Italian wildcard teams who want get publicity for their sponsors, so they may try get riders in any break, as will teams with rouleur-types. The sprinter teams probably only need to keep the break on a short leash if several strong rouleurs manage to form a break.

A lot may depend on the weather. At the beginning, rain is forecast, at first gradually easing off as the day progresses, but likely to be encountered again by riders as they cross the Apennines into Piedmont three-quarters through the stage (the second and third climbs). Moderate winds all day, from the NE initially, later from the NW, temperatures between 12 and 17 deg C all day. By the finish, both the rain and the wind should have eased off a lot.

Start/Finish towns:

Camaiore: a town with Roman origins, it never really grew to any size until the surrounding marshes were drained in the 1800s, and today it is largely orientated to the tourist trade, there being 4-5 wonderful long sandy beaches nearby. It still has a very high water-table which means water from beneath is used for drinking water, but also occasionally, and consequently, sink-holes happen.

Tortona: A town with pre-Roman origins, it has had a chequered history, often being caught in the middle of conflicts between the aristocratic rulers in northern Italy. Its location nowadays at the intersection of motorways and railway lines, have helped it become a hub for logistic industries.
    Fausto Coppi lived there for a while with his mistress and is buried there.

The town has been known for its surrounding vineyards since Roman times, Barbera being one of the grape types and wines produced there. It is also known for its truffles.
    A typical local dish might be Agnolotti del Plin. These are very small ravioli with a relatively large filling, which usually consists of meat, vegetables and cheese. They are folded so that the ravioli look like small down pillows (thus the Plin word). They are served with a tomato ragu sauce, or with sage butter, or with truffles, or simply served sprinkled with a little parmesan.

The Climbs:

Passo del Bracco: 10 km with 4.3 % average slope. It gets flatter the longer it goes. It is the last pass of the annual 'Gran Fondo delle Cinque Terre e della Riviera Spezzina' before the descent to the start/finish town of Deiva Marina on the coast.

Colla di Boasi: 9 km with 4,0 % average slope. Once an important a mule trail crossing between the heads of two valleys, thus helping a link from the Po valley to Genoa, it has featured in the Giro fairly frequently for such a small climb, first in 1937 only 3 years after a proper road was constructed. In 1940 a dog crossed the pass road just as the riders went by, causing Bartali to crash.

Passo della Castagnola: 5 km long with 4.7% average slope. It steepens the longer is goes, its last 200 m being at 7 to 8%. The name means Pass of the Chestnut Trees, that tree type being abundant thereabouts.

Tips:

*** Bettiol, Rota
    ** Pedersen, Albinese, Milan
    * Lastra, Oldani, Groves, Ulissi, Fiorelli

• mididoctors
    140 k to go . Riders enjoying the sun
  • mididoctors
    Possible showers
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    I see Milan picked up the 2pts ahead of Mads 1pt in the intermediate. I wonder if Milan will come to regret being sucked into competing for these scraps and burning too many matches? Mads never seems to have a match problem....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Groves still.looking sick
  • mididoctors
    @jimmyjams slightly more detailed review than mine
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Makes you realise just how poor the weather is there currently.
    https://bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65621373
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    The giro has branded that "never ending" trophy way better than the tours side board fruit bowl . I can't remember the vueltas . Roubaix with the cobble and san Sebastien hats are memroble
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    edited May 2023
    Highly entertaining conversation imo between blythe/lloyd/mckewen relating to snacking during the stages.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I think the Jerseys hold more prestige in cycling than a tin pot does though.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803

The giro has branded that "never ending" trophy way better than the tours side board fruit bowl . I can't remember the vueltas . Roubaix with the cobble and san Sebastien hats are memroble

The Tirreno-Adriatico trident is a quality bit of win bling.
  • mididoctors

The Tirreno-Adriatico trident is a quality bit of win bling.
    Yeah it's a good idea
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Jens is awesome on the back of the bike :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Tashman said:

I think the Jerseys hold more prestige in cycling than a tin pot does though.

You raise a valid point ..though there's no Roubaix jersey
  • mididoctors
    Healy looks like a jockey ..tiny
  • mididoctors
    daniel_b said:

Jens is awesome on the back of the bike :)

Lot better than Gilbert and Bertie .... He is trying to convey value ..... His familiarity with the peloton may not last long ..a couple more years and the young riders won't know who tf he is
  • mididoctors
    Crash ineos down
  • mididoctors
    Roglic down
  • mididoctors
    Tao down hard