Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 10: Scandiano - Viareggio, 196 km - Hilly then sprinty ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,297
    Taaramae and Bystrom not starting today.
  • kingstongraham
    Looks like conversations going on about today's stage being amended a bit.
  • was only half listening to the coverage then - are they talking about shortening / neutralising some of the stage due to the conditions?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,125
    I'm glad, for his sake as well as the rest of the peloton, that Bystrom/Intermarche saw sense and didn't continue.
  • kingstongraham

was only half listening to the coverage then - are they talking about shortening / neutralising some of the stage due to the conditions?

Nothing definite, but lots of shots of conversations going on. No idea which bit they are worried about.
  • Talk of binning off the climb due to high winds / temperature and doing the last 70km only
  • kingstongraham

was only half listening to the coverage then - are they talking about shortening / neutralising some of the stage due to the conditions?

Nothing definite, but lots of shots of conversations going on. No idea which bit they are worried about.
    Might be only the last 70km, so missing out any climbs and handing it to the sprinters.

• kingstongraham
    I'd say they should make a decision soon, given the start time is now.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    50mph gusts on a descent with frozen fingers does not sound like a game I would like to play either, if I'm totally honest.
  • And we're go (for now)
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2023
    They are racing. Stage goes ahead as planned.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,652
    Sounds like the team buses are following in the convoy, which would suggest a Milan San Demo 2013 style situation.

Sounds like the issue being, there's not really an alternative route from Scandiano to Viareggio
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,946
    They've been having pretty horrible weather so far this year.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,903
    This uncategorised climb is hefty
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,909

Might be only the last 70km, so missing out any climbs and handing it to the sprinters.

Francesco Moser likes this decision.
  • kingstongraham
    AG2R rider bales out of the 6 man break. That won't help it stay away.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Just rewinding a bit is Savoldelli the name that people get wrong most in the history of cycling ?

Re the pink has Thomas worn it before - I can't remember - if it was me I'd definitely wear it just to have it as a momento of my career - but if he's already got several I suppose that's less of a consideration.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 679
    Looking at the parcours, I'd be happy for them to bin off the whole thing until Friday, it looks like a bad case of transitional middle week-itis. Cycling does have the capacity to surprise though.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors
    What are they going to do if the climbs is out ...drive round and restart with same gaps?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519

Just rewinding a bit is Savoldelli the name that people get wrong most in the history of cycling ?

Re the pink has Thomas worn it before - I can't remember - if it was me I'd definitely wear it just to have it as a momento of my career - but if he's already got several I suppose that's less of a consideration.

First time in the pink jersey.
  • mididoctors
    Vlasov out the back but working back on .....looks like a mechanical maybe
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,949
    Would it kill RCS to put out an official statement of WTF is going on?
  • mididoctors
    Demarchi and gee .... Same legs reappearing in the breaks
  • mididoctors
    Proper climb this
  • mididoctors
    Ineos should have let that group go
  • mididoctors
    Mads dropped
  • kingstongraham

Proper climb this

Looks like there's about 5 more like that on the way up the first categorised climb. If it doesn't settle down, sprinters are going out the back.

• TGH making a move?!?!?!