Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 10: Scandiano - Viareggio, 196 km - Hilly then sprinty ***SPOILERS***

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,805
edited May 2023 in Pro race

Some of the early unclassified climbs are stiff they say.

Sprinty finish .check the wind .

Is the climb at 18km to go a problem ?
No idea . I doubt it

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Deleted
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Similar profile to Napoli, and that turned out nice in the end

Will depend on whether the sprinters teams have enough to chase over the first half of the stage
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230

Is the climb at 18km to go a problem ?
    No idea . I doubt it

140m climb over 9km going up this at its steepest bit https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9078618,10.3471601,3a,75y,303.32h,66.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWVxBRV0kAwdneXyjUfnXqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Twisty little descent from the top of that.

It might slow down a chase a little bit - I think the break has a decent shout.
  • mididoctors

Will depend on whether the sprinters teams have enough to chase over the first half of the stage

Day off and the TT ....one of a few rare sprint possibilities 😉
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

Not similar to 2xNapoli if you properly look at the y-axis – the climbing involved in the first half makes it more like stage 5, Atripalda – Salerno. The difference is that this stage is 25 km longer and the sprint teams have more time, about 70 kilometers after the climbs, to catch the inevitable early break.
    I rode the Passo delle Radici last August and the descent is fast and straightforward, so doesn't really favour a break, not technical enough.

• takethehighroad
    One for the rules nerds

Does.G wear the pink jersey today? Usually he wouldn't as the leader is a DNS but there's been a rest day

On the podcast he says he'll wear it, and made it sound like it was his choice
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    It is his choice.
  • Don’t get this ‘rule’ - the jersey isn’t some sort of trophy, it’s a marker to identify the leader of the race.

Maybe if Remco had abandoned this morning it would be ok not to switch it to Thomas, but Remco went home 2 days ago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Not that this matters but I probably wouldn't stick it on.

It's Remco's till he fails to finish the next stage.
  • mididoctors

gotti didn't wear it the day after pantani was thrown off the race ...out of respect .. still seems odd to me but whatevers

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

gotti didn't wear it the day after pantani was thrown off the race ...out of respect .. still seems odd to me but whatevers

In the same way being virtual leader on the road doesn’t change the colour of your jersey I sort of think the GC reshuffle happens at the finish line not the start.

I also absolutely don’t care so not a hill to die on.

• mididoctors

In the same way being virtual leader on the road doesn’t change the colour of your jersey I sort of think the GC reshuffle happens at the finish line not the start.

I also absolutely don’t care so not a hill to die on.

It was the respect part for pantani I struggled with. Pantani worship is messed up imo . I enjoyed the racing panache but that eras culture messed people up badly ....seemed uncomfortable at the time not just in hindsight . Anyway water under a bridge now

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 663
    In sport, if you can't easily work out the reason for something happening, it's probably money.

Scandiano will have paid to host a stage start and in return for that expect images of the Maglia Rosa leaving their town alongside the other jumpers to be seen in the press. Simples.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors

In sport, if you can't easily work out the reason for something happening, it's probably money.

Scandiano will have paid to host a stage start and in return for that expect images of the Maglia Rosa leaving their town alongside the other jumpers to be seen in the press. Simples.

True I guess. OTOH maybe it will be more newsworthy long term for scandiano to be the town no pink jersey started that day ? 🤷‍♂️
  • takethehighroad
    Also not a hill I'm willing to die on but my understanding was the GC changes at the end of the day.

Last time it happened was Tony Martin in the Tour 15. Froome didn't wear the MJ until the end of the next day

With it being a rest day yesterday maybe that changes things and there's been a reshuffle at the end of the rest day
  • This is just it, it's a convoluted way for everyone to pretend that we don't all know that Thomas is leading the race and Remco's at home eating frites and googling covid conspiracy theories

(yeah, I don't really care either way, I just find it odd)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    In other news, it's filthy weather. That could favour the break - I'm assuming they're going to be on some twisty llittle roads quite a bit where Ineos will probably try and keep things very calm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh and for the rules nerds - the pink jersey would be obliged to do some official press engagements on the rest day. If he didn't do them because he'd withdrawn sick, then I think the race would regard that as being the DNF/DNS that reset the jersey
  • mididoctors

Oh and for the rules nerds - the pink jersey would be obliged to do some official press engagements on the rest day. If he didn't do them because he'd withdrawn sick, then I think the race would regard that as being the DNF/DNS that reset the jersey

Did G do a presser on the rest day ?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    The jersey's a convenience for spectators to denote who's leading the race, so if someone is a confirmed DNS then I don't see why Thomas can't pull it on. Cycling is full of "unwritten rules" that are basically just vibes though, so whatever the vibes say is good enough for me - I'd hate for cycling to lose these slightly weird grey areas by legislating them all away.

Like Rick I'm not that bothered either way, but it'll fill a few column inches for those that need them.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Did G do a presser on the rest day ?
    Not that I know of.

Anyway, here's G and Rowe chatting pink
    Rowe has some very straightforward opinions :D

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    edited May 2023

Pantani was excluded because he failed a haematocrit test before the start of the penultimate stage. Gotti finished third on that stage and assumed the lead. Only then did he wear the jersey, and that was only for the final sprint stage into Milan.

I can't remember if he was second on GC after the previous stage, that Pantani won, or not. Procyclingstats doesn't have that level of detail, sadly.

Edit: Found it elsewhere, Gotti was third on GC behind Pantani and Salvodelli at the end of the previous stage.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Pozzovivo and Mads Wurst Schmidt out as well.
  • At this rate @mididoctors will be in pink purely for the Giro threads
  • mididoctors

At this rate @mididoctors will be in pink purely for the Giro threads

Blazing can't get back too soon. My threads suck .

• mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    andyp said:

Pantani was excluded because he failed a haematocrit test before the start of the penultimate stage. Gotti finished third on that stage and assumed the lead. Only then did he wear the jersey, and that was only for the final sprint stage into Milan.

I can't remember if he was second on GC after the previous stage, that Pantani won, or not. Procyclingstats doesn't have that level of detail, sadly.

Edit: Found it elsewhere, Gotti was third on GC behind Pantani and Salvodelli at the end of the previous stage.
    Your right it was salvodelli bit confused on my part cos I think gotti took it off salvodelli?

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104

andyp said:

Your right it was salvodelli bit confused on my part cos I think gotti took it off salvodelli?

Yes. Kind of. As far as I remember Salvodelli refused to wear the jersey, then he lost over four minutes to Gotti to lose the GC lead.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Well his number is pinned on the pink jersey. He's just posted on Instagram from the bus.
  • mididoctors

Well his number is pinned on the pink jersey. He's just posted on Instagram from the bus.

[Troll]Ohhhhh don't know if I hold with that... disrespectful [/troll]
  • mididoctors
    Everyone on the race masked up